Page 1181 of 1652 FirstFirst ... 1176 1177 1178 1179 1180 1181 1182 1183 1184 1185 1186 ... LastLast
Results 29,501 to 29,525 of 41291
    I was suprised at how bare some parts of Copper were. like grass showing through in Resolution Bowl, etc. don't remember it being like that this time last year, even though I know the stats say we're ahead of last year.

a basin has been skiing great but yeah there are logs and rocks poking out all over. but i would expect to hit rocks at the basin any time of season tbh.

rode the new tucker lift today and yeah fuck that noise. shitty choppy bumps, few nice soft turns to be had though.

Quote Originally Posted by blackalps View Post
    I was suprised at how bare some parts of Copper were. like grass showing through in Resolution Bowl, etc. don't remember it being like that this time last year, even though I know the stats say we're ahead of last year.
    Maybe the wind has been different this year and blown some spots more bare than normal?

Sucks to hear Tucker Mtn has been skiing shitty. Not surprised but sucks.

A Bay’s a rocky place. We seldom used to ski there before March.

Skiings good here,but there’s still places you have to be careful.
    It’s early January.

Quote Originally Posted by Shredhead View Post
    A Bay’s a rocky place.
    No, a bay is a body of water surrounded by land on three sides. A Basin is fairly rocky, however.

The wind event a couple nights/days ago was pretty real.

Statewide snowpack, we're ahead of last season.....but I don't think Copper/Summit is.

ETA: Copper Mtn SNOTEL for today- SWE: 120% Precip: 85%
    for this date last year- SWE: 132% Precip: 97%

Quote Originally Posted by adrenalated View Post
    No, a bay is a body of water surrounded by land on three sides. A Basin is fairly rocky, however.
    Nailed it.
    Old's Cool.

Quote Originally Posted by Shredhead View Post
    A Bay’s a rocky place. We seldom used to ski there before March.

Skiings good here,but there’s still places you have to be careful.
    It’s early January.
    Which places? Would be good to know where to avoid. Please don't say pali...

Could be wrong but believe he is talking about a little place called Aspen. Regardless, you can see how rocky Pali is on the ride up the chair lift.

Arapahoe Basin is far too rocky to ski until at least April, actually, it probably isn't good ever. A little known fact is that the ski area actually adds new rocks during the summer to make sure that they are fresh and sharp for the next season. You will definitely ruin your expensive skis, and probably die. It just isn't worth it. You are far better off heading to Vail to ski on golf courses.

Quote Originally Posted by Name Redacted View Post
    Arapahoe Basin is far too rocky to ski until at least April, actually, it probably isn't good ever. A little known fact is that the ski area actually adds new rocks during the summer to make sure that they are fresh and sharp for the next season. You will definitely ruin your expensive skis, and probably die. It just isn't worth it. You are far better off heading to Vail to ski on golf courses.
    Crested Butte should really start doing this, the rocks there are getting a little dull from so many people skiing on them. They could use a freshening up.

Crested Butte should really start doing this, the rocks there are getting a little dull from so many people skiing on them. They could use a freshening up.
    I've heard they plant saplings on all the runs in the summer too. Really helps keep the snow from sliding off the mountain and improves the skier experience.

I've heard they plant saplings on all the runs in the summer too. Really helps keep the snow from sliding off the mountain and improves the skier experience.
    Where do they store the moguls in the summer?
    Quote Originally Posted by blurred
    skiing is hiking all day so that you can ski on shitty gear for 5 minutes.

Quote Originally Posted by Summit View Post
    Where do they store the moguls in the summer?
    Don't be a gaper. There are no moguls at A-basin, there are only speedbumps.

Heading to the Estin Hut this weekend. Looking at the CAIC website, it's hard to tell exactly which zone the hut is in (it's hard to zero in on the map, but as best I can tell it's fairly close to the junction of the Aspen, Vail, and Sawatch zones). I have been to this hut a number of times, so I will more than likely just rely on our groups' own experiences and observations. But I'm wondering if anyone has specific experience finding one zone forecast more applicable than the others with respect to this hut.
    "fuck off you asshat gaper shit for brains fucktard wanker." - Jesus Christ
    "She was tossing her bean salad with the vigor of a Drunken Pop princess so I walked out of the corner and said.... "need a hand?"" - Odin
    "everybody's got their hooks into you, fuck em....forge on motherfuckers, drag all those bitches across the goal line with you." - (not so) ill-advised strategy

Random post: older people at Winter Park/MJ are super cool.

Quote Originally Posted by Danno View Post
    Heading to the Estin Hut this weekend. Looking at the CAIC website, it's hard to tell exactly which zone the hut is in (it's hard to zero in on the map, but as best I can tell it's fairly close to the junction of the Aspen, Vail, and Sawatch zones). I have been to this hut a number of times, so I will more than likely just rely on our groups' own experiences and observations. But I'm wondering if anyone has specific experience finding one zone forecast more applicable than the others with respect to this hut.
    I have not been to that hut, however when in similar situations, I always read the forecasts for every zone that might be applicable, paying special attention to details about specific parts of the zone that might apply more to the area I'm going to be traveling in. For example, for Estin hut's location, I'd be looking if they say anything about the eastern parts of the Aspen zone, or west side of Vail/Summit, or northern Sawatch in particular. Or, if you know that the area you're going to be traveling in typically gets less snow than the rest of the zone (ie northern Sawatch typically gets less snow than the central Elk) then I'll note anything in the forecast that talks about "thinner snowpack areas" because that probably applies (like the forecasts right now).

I imagine you know all this, just posting for the benefit of others.

Colorado Weather Discussion Thread

Only on Rambo. Which is funny cause it’s true.

Also, a moment to acknowledge an exceptional run of posts. Well done.

I have not been to that hut, however when in similar situations, I always read the forecasts for every zone that might be applicable, paying special attention to details about specific parts of the zone that might apply more to the area I'm going to be traveling in. For example, for Estin hut's location, I'd be looking if they say anything about the eastern parts of the Aspen zone, or west side of Vail/Summit, or northern Sawatch in particular. Or, if you know that the area you're going to be traveling in typically gets less snow than the rest of the zone (ie northern Sawatch typically gets less snow than the central Elk) then I'll note anything in the forecast that talks about "thinner snowpack areas" because that probably applies (like the forecasts right now).

I imagine you know all this, just posting for the benefit of others.
    Thanks. That's already what I do (look at all 3 reports) but I don't have enough specialized knowledge of the area to know about stuff like its snowpack relative to the rest of the zone.

And you need to get to that hut, it's a really good one.
    "She was tossing her bean salad with the vigor of a Drunken Pop princess so I walked out of the corner and said.... "need a hand?"" - Odin
    "everybody's got their hooks into you, fuck em....forge on motherfuckers, drag all those bitches across the goal line with you." - (not so) ill-advised strategy

Thanks. That's already what I do (look at all 3 reports) but I don't have enough specialized knowledge of the area to know about stuff like its snowpack relative to the rest of the zone.

just got back from estin hut over nye. snowpack was surprisngly thin on south aspects (ie below hut) and west aspects (ie prospect). didn't dig any pits cuz we kept the angle low and kept to S/W aspects. got about 1.5' while there so things were skiing well by the end of the stay. should be good for you guys.

Quote Originally Posted by The SnowShow View Post
    Random post: older people at Winter Park/MJ are super cool.
    Usually, but sometimes they can be total dicks. Got a story? Obligatory: hey we should all try to get together and ski sometime, seems like there are quite a few of us these days. Sunday afternoons?

Peter Estin Hut is a special place. It's right on the edge of the zone, like you said. It could go either way. I always enjoyed touring out towards Gold Dust and Fool's Peak. Such awesome views up there! Have fun man!

Quote Originally Posted by mcgovernor View Post
    Which places? Would be good to know where to avoid. Please don't say pali...
    "Rock Garden"
    Galibier Design
    crafting technology in service of music

Quote Originally Posted by Hott Butt Mud View Post
    Peter Estin Hut is a special place. It's right on the edge of the zone, like you said. It could go either way. I always enjoyed touring out towards Gold Dust and Fool's Peak. Such awesome views up there! Have fun man!
    While Gold Dust is a can't get there from here, you could follow the ridge to Fool's summit. Wouldn't touch any of the real lines off of there right now, although the south facing shots off of Charles Peak should be holding nicely. As for the snowpack, the forecast for both zones will be essentially the same this weekend, and the loading patterns on N - NE - E are almost identical. Either rose forecast with the lingering problems of wind slab and persistent weak layer will be present on those slopes. If I had to choose only one to receive, I'd chuck it in the Aspen zone as the area sees a little less NW flow than the rest of the Vail/Summit zone.

Have fun. For the approach to ski value metric, it's one of the best ones in the system.

Thanks for advice y'all.

Quote Originally Posted by MakersTeleMark View Post

Have fun. For the approach to ski value metric, it's one of the best ones in the system.
    Sure enough. I have some north facing trees in my future.