Page 1084 of 1646 FirstFirst ... 1079 1080 1081 1082 1083 1084 1085 1086 1087 1088 1089 ... LastLast
Results 27,076 to 27,100 of 41143
    Babbling out load....

The culture of safety really is being eroded by social media. I think we owe it to our sport to do a better job of identifying and managing it. Instead of us crusty fucks looking the other way and simply saying the "safety coming before pictures and videos" perhaps we should realize that people do go out in the backcountry to "get the shot" and should focus more on how to do that safely.

{/old guy going skiing]

Or just let Darwin take care of it.

More than once, I've been in the runout below Marvin's thinking, and saying out loud to my partners, "let's get the fuck out of here, those beaters up there are gonna kill us!"

So, there's a possibility of Darwin collateral damage

sorry for posting that vid and opening this can of worms, maybe we could lament about the lack of snow for the next 2 weeks instead?

Quote Originally Posted by zartagen View Post
    More than once, I've been in the runout below Marvin's thinking, and saying out loud to my partners, "let's get the fuck out of here, those beaters up there are gonna kill us!"

So, there's a possibility of Darwin collateral damage
    So you were in the runout of a known slide path with people on it, therefore, Darwin might say you were just as culpable in your demise as the folks up top, if not more so.

Quote Originally Posted by jpcmoriarty View Post
    I’ve always had similar feelings towards that line/face. It’s a sweet send for those that want to go for it, but the history of it sliding on moderate days is prominent over the years. Most of the guys that I know who ski it regularly have all gone for a ride at some point. In my opinion there is much better skiing around the corner.

Seeing all this sure makes me miss the years of skiing that zone everyday. Sounds like it’s been a good month in EV
    Agreed. I have had some of the deepest days of my life back there. 2010/11 was I think the best. I also drooled at east Marvin’s but always kept going towards the point. EV demands respect.

Ok ok don't twist words. Leave that to the weather forecasters.

Quote Originally Posted by hatchgreenchile View Post
    Risk tolerance is a funny thing.
    Yeah. Age and having kids certainly changes that.

Quote Originally Posted by shredgnar View Post
    So you were in the runout of a known slide path with people on it, therefore, Darwin might say you were just as culpable in your demise as the folks up top, if not more so.
    I wouldn't constitute being in the far end of the runout, traversing across after skiing a safer line while beaters are rolling 6 deep in the start zone(s) of Marvin's as being culpable in the Darwin award. I guess it's just a fact of life in EV these days that people are gonna drop above you and do stupid shit, but I wouldn't say that makes the decision to ski it a bad decision.

Anyway, back to weather: mid 50s/60s in Denver next week. The mtn biking should be primo.

Quote Originally Posted by The SnowShow View Post
    Anyway, back to weather: mid 50s/60s in Denver next week. The mtn biking should be primo.
    Yeah primo....on those 4 trail systems you can ride....

Dakota is worthy. The rest...meh

Lots of nice turns at Berthoud this AM, but the way it was warming up I'd guess anything S/E facing will be nice and crusty tomorrow.

Quote Originally Posted by zartagen View Post
    I wouldn't constitute being in the far end of the runout, traversing across after skiing a safer line while beaters are rolling 6 deep in the start zone(s) of Marvin's as being culpable in the Darwin award. I guess it's just a fact of life in EV these days that people are gonna drop above you and do stupid shit, but I wouldn't say that makes the decision to ski it a bad decision.
    We once had a really close call on that upper exit traverse. On the far north/west side, almost at the very end, our crew was hit with a slide triggered from above. Not sure what they were doing skiing there, sort of a shitty line but people end up all over the place.
    Our first guy had just made the corner and was safe, middle guy was hit hard, pulled off the track, and ragged dolled pretty good. I was the last in the group and was able to self arrest in place. Could have been a really bad situation as there was definitely a point we all were exposed.
    It made us rethink how we ski back there. Whenever skiing the tweeners/Abraham’s side, I like to use the lowest possible exit, even if it means putting it in. A small, fast moving group limits exposure time to other skiers. Also, now prefer double dipping into the less skied areas. It’s a great zone but the skier congestion adds another complicated factor that can’t be neglected.

In weather news, 57 and sunny in fort collins today. All the low trails are in great shape
    Last edited by jpcmoriarty; 12-14-2018 at 06:20 PM.

Over 40 degrees at 10,000' in the Indian Peaks today, with light wind and no cloud cover. Plenty of melting going on, in addition to the usual wind bullshit. Will need to be slightly clever to find good snow until it snows again.

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	IMG_20181214_112216_1.jpg 
Views:	112 
Size:	1.76 MB 
ID:	260106

Quote Originally Posted by Foggy_Goggles View Post
    Yikes! i guess I am truly becoming aware that "posting shit on social media because it is fun and makes me look cool" really has become "I'm a semi-famous Insta Ho and I need to get the shot for my sponsors".

So yeah, from what I have seen is the Berthoud Pass/FRV area, the classic buried weak layer condition is evident. Please try to stay cautious in your decision making and don't out think the situation. From the avi center:

"That's pretty solid and widespread evidence that the threat of triggering a large and destructive avalanche breaking on persistent weak layers buried by mid to late November snowfall is alive and well."

Go find some meadows or some trees.
    Human factors researcher Dr. Ian McCammon in 2002 known for avalanche systems like Lemons, ALPTRUTh, and FACETS. I told him how teach some extra Cs when I teach his human factors mnemonic... specifically Cameras which encompasses everything from Kodak Courage to Social Image to Perverse Incentives in sponsored athletes/blogers. Ian liked my idea.

But it used to only be the big name bloggers who needed to create constant content for sponsors (eg Steve Romeo RIP). But you point out that the constant need for content is a pressure on the new multitude of small scale brand ambassadors (a concept which is the product of social media) which yields a whole new class of perversly incentivized semisponsored "Insta Hos." "Insta Ho" you taught me a new one!!!
    Quote Originally Posted by blurred
    skiing is hiking all day so that you can ski on shitty gear for 5 minutes.

Quote Originally Posted by I've seen black diamonds! View Post
    Over 40 degrees at 10,000' in the Indian Peaks today, with light wind and no cloud cover. Plenty of melting going on, in addition to the usual wind bullshit. Will need to be slightly clever to find good snow until it snows again.

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	IMG_20181214_112216_1.jpg 
Views:	112 
Size:	1.76 MB 
ID:	260106
    We need to go for a dog tour. Our pups match.

Colorado Weather Discussion Thread

Hoji was out skiing Peak One today. IG is good for something.

The pattern doesn't look so good out in the long term for Colorado. Models don't do badly though.
    https://longrangesnowcenter.blogspot...rm-dec-15.html

Quote Originally Posted by Fritz View Post
    Link?
    https://www.instagram.com/p/BrY4U4gF...d=21thsv0ihjtr

And on his insta-story

Quote Originally Posted by simple View Post
    Yeah primo....on those 4 trail systems you can ride....

Dakota is worthy. The rest...meh
    You need to get out more. Go check out Left Hand OHV, it's way more worthy than Dakota Ridge.

anyone skiing the basin today? wondering if the wind did any of its magic

Copper was nice and quiet today. I think they should keep American Eagle closed

Quote Originally Posted by The SnowShow View Post
    Thanks. Not on ig so not sure what that insta-story is. Wonder how it was? The wind was doing its work above treeline in JPW today.