Page 1250 of 1646 FirstFirst ... 1245 1246 1247 1248 1249 1250 1251 1252 1253 1254 1255 ... LastLast
Results 31,226 to 31,250 of 41143
    Quote Originally Posted by fastfred View Post
    I'm signing up to buy a van can't wait it's all I think about 100k who cares, just trying to figure out how to explain it to my dad and how to bridge the purchase time and to when I get my next trust fund dispersment in may next year I never did the flat brim but I do like a nice frat boy roll to the bill of my ball cap haters gonna hate but I"m gonna be ballin
    Don’t forget your Breck Local trucker baller!

Quote Originally Posted by The SnowShow View Post
    Don’t forget your Breck Local trucker baller!
    the chick who bought one from the ski town allstars won't give it to me

Colorado Weather Discussion Thread

Fire started at the Ice Lakes trailhead? 80% chance that it was some bro brah in a Sprinter van

Quote Originally Posted by mdblows View Post
    Fire started at the Ice Lakes trailhead? 80% chance that it was some bro brah in a Sprinter van
    Fuuuuuuck please tell me that Basin isn’t on fire.

Quote Originally Posted by The SnowShow View Post
    Fuuuuuuck please tell me that Basin isn’t on fire.
    It's down in the woods in the valley near the trailhead right now. 15-25 acres based on what I'm seeing on social media. Ice lakes has been absolutely slammed in the past few years, there has been some talk of permitting overnights in the area. San Juan Mountain Association counted 300+ overnight backpackers during memorial day weekend this year. They estimated that on the busiest day of the year there were over 2k people hiking. That area just can't handle that kind of abuse anymore. Illegal fires by the lakes, people shitting/camping all over the place along the trail, the drones and social media influencers abusing the lakes for a few thousands likes on the gram.... it's bad.

There is no doubt in my mind that this fire is campfire caused. They had to rescue hikers out of the basin by helicopter and hot shot crews were on the fire quickly. Hopefully they are able to get a lot of work done tonight and tomorrow morning before the winds pick up again.

I hiked it this summer. Insane the number of people hiking it, and camping on that road. When I was last there some 25 years ago, it was super quiet and undiscovered.

And that road was jammed with every kind of camper, along with Texas wheelchairs. I wouldn't indict the sprinter crowd for that one.
    "fuck off you asshat gaper shit for brains fucktard wanker." - Jesus Christ
    "She was tossing her bean salad with the vigor of a Drunken Pop princess so I walked out of the corner and said.... "need a hand?"" - Odin
    "everybody's got their hooks into you, fuck em....forge on motherfuckers, drag all those bitches across the goal line with you." - (not so) ill-advised strategy

Silverton just put out a press release.

PRESS RELEASE San Juan County, Colorado

SAN JUAN COUNTY: The Ice Fire started today Monday October 19th just after 1pm in the South Mineral Creek area above the Ice Lakes trail head. As of 5:00 PM, the fire has burned 320 acres and US Forest Services has air and ground wildland fire crews working on the Ice Fire.

On Monday October 19th, a wild fire broke out in the South Mineral recreation area just above the Ice Lake Trail head around 1pm. San Juan County Sheriff's Department handled an immediate evacuation of campers and hikers in the area. 23 hikers were located above the trailhead and were evacuated via helicopter.
    The US Forest service is the lead agency on this wildfire and deployed helicopters, tanker planes and a hot shot squad.

There is no imminent threat of evacuation at this time for Silverton/ San Juan County residents. It is good to be prepared given the proximity of the Ice Fire. Silverton/San Juan County residents should familiarize themselves with the READY, SET, GO evacuation plan. This is a 3 phase plan that will be activated if an evacuation is ordered. Each step will be communicated with specific instructions for San Juan County citizens.

Please do not stop to watch aircraft and firefighting activities as this poses a hazard for fellow travelers. Smoke from the fire will be visible on Highway 550, Silverton, Durango, and other surrounding areas and communities. Smoke will be visible for the duration of the fire. Roadside signs will be posted to alert any travelers of smoke and firefighting personnel and equipment in the area. Wildfire smoke may affect your health. For more information, please go to:
    https://www.colorado.gov/pacific/cdp...oke-and-health
    I hope 320 is a huge over estimate. My guess is the fire is burning down South Mineral Road rather than up into the Basin proper, but we'll have to see if they do an IR flyover tonight.

https://twitter.com/CBSDenver/status...843023360?s=20

Some vid of conditions at CP fire. Freaking scary.

Quote Originally Posted by Danno View Post
    And that road was jammed with every kind of camper, along with Texas wheelchairs. I wouldn't indict the sprinter crowd for that one.
    Yeah, we hiked it this summer too and that road was a clusterfuck of a gongshow on top of a shitstorm.
    If it could be slept in, it was parked along that road. I think density of people was higher than my urban neighborhood.

That place has been featured countless times in Backpacker, Outside, etc. The secret is out. I'm sure wag bags, designated camps and permits are on the horizon.
    I still find it crazy that many people go to little ol' Silverton and congregate like that on a single trail. The San Juans are bigger than Chicago Basin, Ice Lake and Blue Lakes.

Quote Originally Posted by adrenalated View Post
    Yeah, we hiked it this summer too and that road was a clusterfuck of a gongshow on top of a shitstorm.
    If it could be slept in, it was parked along that road. I think density of people was higher than my urban neighborhood.
    Ugh awful. This state is just getting too crowded with people raping the beauty.

Also doesn’t help when US News & World Report does their annual “Best Places to Live” and Boulder/Denver are 1/2 and CO Springs/FortC are 4/5.

Just waiting for the day international borders up back up for traveling freely, it'll mellow out quite a bit I'm sure.

Quote Originally Posted by hatchgreenchile View Post
    That place has been featured countless times in Backpacker, Outside, etc. The secret is out. I'm sure wag bags, designated camps and permits are on the horizon.
    I still find it crazy that many people go to little ol' Silverton and congregate like that on a single trail. The San Juans are bigger than Chicago Basin, Ice Lake and Blue Lakes.
    Down here we've just decided to sacrifice those areas for the greater good of the rest of the mountains here. That said, I want permitting and designated camps in those places asap.

Looks like 6”-12” for Eagle/Summit Sunday night and COLD. That should help ABasin open next week.

USFS not fucking around. Just closed all National Forest land in Clear Creek, Gilpin, Boulder, and Latimer Counties.

Yep. Just posted on wildfire thread too

https://www.fs.usda.gov/detail/arp/n...d=FSEPRD831612

Moose out front shoulda told ya!

Quote Originally Posted by stapes View Post
    Moose out front shoulda told ya!
    well done.
    "She was tossing her bean salad with the vigor of a Drunken Pop princess so I walked out of the corner and said.... "need a hand?"" - Odin
    "everybody's got their hooks into you, fuck em....forge on motherfuckers, drag all those bitches across the goal line with you." - (not so) ill-advised strategy

guess we'll see a few more people than normal in summit this weekend

Smart move on the natl forests. Maybe this storm (and hopefully more to follow) will cut the ban short before the current Nov 15. Selfishly, I need to find a new patch in Oct to keep my streak alive...

Quote Originally Posted by fastfred View Post
    guess we'll see a few more people than normal in summit this weekend
    probably. then lots of posts in the I-70 thread on Sunday when the storm hits as they drive home.

Quote Originally Posted by Danno View Post
    probably. then lots of posts in the I-70 thread on Sunday when the storm hits as they drive home.
    It shall be the perfect shit show!
    Is it radix panax notoginseng? - splat
    This is like hanging yourself but the rope breaks. - DTM
    Dude Listen to mtm. He's a marriage counselor at burning man. - subtle plague

Im flying into Denver on sat and heading over to Montrose then back to Denver on Monday evening what kind of shitshow will I be in for on the way back? Or will that be over Sunday evening?

fire bans really don't do shit, and unfortunately, it's not just tourists. last summer (or the year before, I can't remember) I was camping way up in the backcountry in an area that tourists don't seem to know about and it requires a high clearance 4x4 with a locking diff to reach. I passed a few folks on the way up, all CO plates. There was a full state fire ban on. I was freezing my ass off even with down and base layers on, but didn't build a fire. From my high alpine campsite, I could see 4 or 5 fires on the road I had driven to get there, and one group was shooting fireworks. infuriating.

That said, I'm not rich and don't have a sprinter or some portable camping heater. If I'm camping and if there's no fire ban on, I'm 100% going to have a fire, and it's not because of instagram. It's warm and nice and gives me something to do before bed. It also seems to calm my dog down at night, for some reason. She gets really antsy and stressed after dark without, unless she's in the car. But I'm also not building fires in straw fields or where the wind might blow the sparks into one.

anyway, hope some precip helps a bit with the fires. and ya know, some snow so we can ski.

Quote Originally Posted by shaggy433 View Post
    Im flying into Denver on sat and heading over to Montrose then back to Denver on Monday evening what kind of shitshow will I be in for on the way back? Or will that be over Sunday evening?
    You'll probably want to just stay at the airport for the duration.