Page 935 of 1652 FirstFirst ... 930 931 932 933 934 935 936 937 938 939 940 ... LastLast
Results 23,351 to 23,375 of 41290
    Quote Originally Posted by hatchgreenchile View Post
    WP put in a shortcut trail from Zephyr to MJ trail, right through some primo woods . At least they gave it a good name !
    maybe they should have a 185cm rule

Those trees weren’t a secret, more than anything , it sucks that there will be a groomer cutting across the entire slope that you have to navigate through .

It will be interesting to see what the new managing group prioritizes, the gondola from base to LR may be immediate. If they want to raise more cash, just up the pass rate , don’t nickel and dime people in the parking lot.

Does lunch rock need more business? It seems pretty full all the time. Seems to me that if they want to monetize the Jane side more, they'd need more facilities. And charge for parking, sadly.
    "fuck off you asshat gaper shit for brains fucktard wanker." - Jesus Christ
    "She was tossing her bean salad with the vigor of a Drunken Pop princess so I walked out of the corner and said.... "need a hand?"" - Odin
    "everybody's got their hooks into you, fuck em....forge on motherfuckers, drag all those bitches across the goal line with you." - (not so) ill-advised strategy

Whumphing and shooting cracks in Dry Gulch on NE aspects. Judicious terrain management got us around the spooky bits, but be careful out there.

Any recent snowpack reports from Jones Pass, Butler Gulch or Indian Peaks areas? Lookin to get out and stretch the legs one day before Thanksgiving.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

The snowpack is tender. Someone reported cutting loose a slide on a NE exposure on Jones Pass.

I caught this in a BC Facebook group. I don't run FB on my phone, but when I get on a real computer, I'll check the post and update you here.

... Thom
    Last edited by galibier_numero_un; 11-20-2017 at 01:49 AM.
    Galibier Design
    crafting technology in service of music

Quote Originally Posted by galibier_numero_un View Post
    The snowpack is tender. Someone reported cutting loose a slide on a 32 degree NE exposure on Jones.

I caught this in a BC Facebook group. I don't run FB on my phone, but when I get on a real computer, I'll check the post and update you here.

... Thom
    Damn! Would love to know the BC group name when you get a chance; love getting bits of beta for the mental log throughout the day!

Ugh, pay parking at the Jane?! Fuck every greedy POS corporation ruining our sport.

Quote Originally Posted by SkiLyft View Post
    Damn! Would love to know the BC group name when you get a chance; love getting bits of beta for the mental log throughout the day!
    I'll dig it up and post here.

... Thom
    Galibier Design

I'll dig it up and post here.

... Thom
    Much appreciated

Quote Originally Posted by The SnowShow View Post
    Ugh, pay parking at the Jane?! Fuck every greedy POS corporation ruining our sport.
    I'm with you on this one. I hate to distract from the Weather Discussion but legitimately Winter Park Mary Jane is the only thing that keeps me staying on a resort. Growing up skiing in Europe, then moving to Colorado was an absolute culture shock. MJ has been the only place within reasonable distance to Denver that has kept my sanity for lift-accessed skiing. If they charged for parking, I would go 100% backcountry as I'm about 50% now. Of course, my opinion doesn't matter as there are thousands of weekend warriors who will gladly pay 10-20 dollars for parking on top of their seven hour round-trip commute from Denver to Insert I-70 Corridor Resort.
    On topic, I am interested in the Facebook BC Group that has beta on current conditions. Will stay posted.
    Season is early that's for sure.

Quote Originally Posted by The SnowShow View Post
    Used to be don't groom Mary Jane, now it's don't pay for parking at Mary Jane WTF....

The Facebook Group is called "Boulder Backcountry ski & snowboard". It's a closed group, so click on the "Join" request to get in.

https://www.facebook.com/groups/1498331650480508/

The Saturday slide on Jones Pass was reported as about 32 degree, NE facing slope at the 70cm crown, remotely triggered from about 60 yards away where it was 25-28 degree slope. Failure was on a layer of facets 10cm above the ground. Can you say "tender"?

... Thom
    Last edited by galibier_numero_un; 11-20-2017 at 02:35 AM.
    Galibier Design

Can you say "tender"?
    Si.

Is it radix panax notoginseng? - splat
    This is like hanging yourself but the rope breaks. - DTM
    Dude Listen to mtm. He's a marriage counselor at burning man. - subtle plague

My sources are better than most but certainly not definitive. WP has had a way of circulating what could be less than popular announcements through their employees to the local population. The public outcry then happens as conjecture and when the official announcement comes, the blow is softened. This is distinctly different from people that just straight make shit up which also happens.

Word on the street is that the new CEO is snow pants, beer & skiing while DeFrange was khakis, pinot & golf. Apparently, you can talk to him like a regular guy. The employees like him. His office is at the ski area.

It think they are in a tough spot with The Jane. On one hand, The Jane is iconic. Generations of skiers have all but grown up there. It is a throwback to what skiing used to be. On the other hand, the current revenue model of lose leader season passes makes it very difficult to make money of the season pass, PB&J in the pocket, Millers on the tailgate crowd (me).

Parking on the Park Side has gotten to be such a cluster (park, wait for bus, ride The Bucket, walk through the village) that even vacationers drive to The Jane. Multiple times in the last few years, parking has been closed at the Jane while the lifts and trails are not that busy. I think charging for parking at The Jane is less about parking revenue and money about channeling skiers to the base village. The Town of WP has taken over the bus system which enables them to qualify for government funding. Wishfull thinking, but I'm hoping they will relocate the bus loop back to where it used to be next to the Balcony House.

i don't Facebook, but somebody should try to get them to forward their observations to CAIC.

Cosmic, it actually used to be 180cm. Anyone else know what the fuck we are talking about?

Remember, you can't outsmart the snowpack. The avalanche doesn't give a shit about you L2 and your advanced abilities. It's fucking hair trigger out there right now anywhere with enough snow to ski. Make good decisions.

Down Valley bike riding is still pretty good.

Thanks Foggy. Speaking to a patroller on the lift ride, he also raved about new leadership.
    I fully expect the RMSP to be completely overhauled or replaced come spring, that in itself might change things quite a bit.
    WP is the backbone of that pass, and I expect them to do their own thing with Steamboat and the other KSL/Aspen hills.

Colorado Weather Discussion Thread

So because Jane parking is a clusterfuck on Saturdays, it's ok to justify going the Vail Resorts route of charging for every fucking thing? So it's busy....locals, get there earlier before tourons get there at 10.
    It starts with $5 for parking, $10 for trailside. Then in a few years it's suddenly $20. Saw it with Vail and now Beaver Creek, who charges for the Bear Lot and you still have to bus to the lift.
    Sorry, this shit pissed me off.

It's free this year, as its always been. Take a deep breath.
    It could happen in the future, but what else is new?
    If KSL/Aspen opens the rest of the Cirque, I'll be stoked!

Read much?

Would you car pool more if you had to pay per car to park (or car pool is free like Jackson)?

Would you buy a season pass to Park in the C Lot? How much.

Honestly, It's only a problem because the public transportation and other free parking options suck so bad. How many "World Class Resorts" allow you to park more or less on snow for free?

Remember. I'm not saying it is happening and I'm not saying I'd like. What I'm saying is that , for better or for worse, the park at The Jane season pass holder ain't keeping the lights on. At what other ski area, can 99% of the community day skiers never go to or drive by the base area? Economically, it is a challenge.

You grumpy old codgers are amusing.

All this is inevitable.

I'm personally going to be jazzed if they offer Aspen on the RMSP+ next year. If they do... I'm tempted to completely say fuck the Front Range.

thanks for history lesson fg

Quote Originally Posted by Foggy_Goggles View Post
    How many "World Class Resorts" allow you to park more or less on snow for free? The Jane season pass holder ain't keeping the lights on. At what other ski area, can 99% of the community day skiers never go to or drive by the base area? Economically, it is a challenge.
    ^^^^ i realized on saturday for annual WROD while walking through the village that i never go into it, nor visit wp side much at all during the season.

#janeside

You grumpy old codgers are amusing
    Have you been to The Jane? It is where grumpy old codgers to to ski. That's the point. Classic Rock, moguls, non-ironic mustaches, people that only ride the C chair. You can't have The Jane with our GOCs.

For the record, I'm old but I'm not grumpy when I go skiing.

For reference, the parking lots at the Jane are, from Top to Bottom, the Corona Lot, C Lot and then the Summit Lot.

There are many names for many things at Wanker Park. The Patrollers are required to take a Logistics Test where they have to know the names of everywhere, everything. It is generally agreed that these are the proper names as this is what the ski area employees use on the radio. They can and do charge over time based on patrol supervisor turnover.

Here's a quiz. Where is:

Cowards Traverse

Fandango

The Ice Trail

Bummer Flats

Colorado Weather Discussion Thread

Foggy - on your hypotheticals, I carpool when possible and would welcome additional incentives to do so. On price? Copper is charging $125 for an annual pass at the base of A chair, and that's a small lot. I could see them charging $125-$250 annually at C Lot. As mentioned, I'd prefer they just up seasons pass rates than nickel and dining you when parking.

Now, for poor old WP and their economic challenges of keeping the lights on from Joe Passholder? Cry me a river. They haven't made an upgrade to ski lifts or terrain, outside of the new cattrack to MJ, in nearly a decade. They are 60 miles from a massive population center with plenty of discretionary money in play. They put up 1M+ visits year after year, not all of whom are dirtbags eating and drinking out of their cooler. Lunch Rock may specialize in $15 sandwiches, but there are no shortage of people buying them. You may have some buddies counting their beans, but I doubt they are just scraping by.

In addition to the one Thom posted above, there are a couple other good Facebook groups where current conditions get posted. Most of the people posting do submit obs to CAIC.

Colorado Splitboard Faction by OZSplitboards
    Denver Splitboard and Alpine Touring Crew

Good skiing on mellow, near treeline slopes right now. Anything in the trees needs another couple feet, and anything steep is pretty tender.

Can't be said enough - make good decisions.
    Last edited by adrenalated; 11-20-2017 at 11:39 AM.