Page 571 of 1652 FirstFirst ... 566 567 568 569 570 571 572 573 574 575 576 ... LastLast
Results 14,251 to 14,275 of 41300
    Quote Originally Posted by concretejungle View Post
    I forecast perpetual butthurt in this thread.
    Yes....looks like butthurt flow setting up over Colorado as we speak.

latest GFS looks like a good NW flow setting up right around new years, steamboat could get it real good.

X-mas was pretty awesome @ Vail.

Siberia/Mongolia rope drop was really fun until it went viral.

Sidecountry is still pretty damn touchy, careful out there. Agree with MS, nasty amount of facets down low and a touchy layer of buried surface hoar a couple feet above it that has been stepping down.

Quote Originally Posted by Puffin View Post

Sidecountry is still pretty damn touchy, careful out there. Agree with MS, nasty amount of facets down low and a touchy layer of buried surface hoar a couple feet above it that has been stepping down.
    I agree, best to stick to lower angle stuff and avoid above treelike and open terrain. There was a wicked wind storm around Vail a few days ago.
    Last edited by MuchosPixels; 12-26-2013 at 05:15 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by Puffin View Post

FACK. Didn't realize they opened Siberia/Mongolia on X-mas. What time was that?

Can't get em all..... it opened maybe around 10, but I'm not exactly sure. I knew it was coming so I kept lapping the windward side and hung out for like 5 mins when I thought it was imminent with a bunch of other people and it worked out really well. Got 5 amazing laps off the ridge before it was annihilated.

Kinda weird actually, so many people were just skiing down in the bowl rather than the good shit off the ridge so it stayed good for much longer than I would have expected.

"patroller chick was too short to reach the rope on one of those big wooden posts so she had me do it, made my day"

Did u get her number?
    I have more skis and bikes than Facebook friends.

Quote Originally Posted by mfkracing View Post
    "patroller chick was too short to reach the rope on one of those big wooden posts so she had me do it, made my day"

Did u get her number?
    970-328-7387

Quote Originally Posted by MuchosPixels View Post
    There was a wicked wind storm around Vail a few days ago.
    Hit pretty much everywhere in Summit/Eagle. I couldn't see 10' in front of me for a while driving on Hwy 9. Peak 6 opened yesterday and it looked windfucked to all hell. Some MASSIVE slides up there too. Peak 7's SE face went HUGE. A couple of the common paths went on Peak 6. All bombs it seemed like.

Anyone know why they bombed the shit out of Peak 7's SE face (or did it go natural)? Seems way too early to start chucking bombs. Shouldn't they wait a little longer after the storm and at least give the snow a CHANCE to settle? I can understand the Peak 6 bombing, as the slide path could have possibly entered the terrain they wanted to open, but the bombing up on Peak 7 doesn't make sense to me. Gonna take even longer before it's ready to ski now.

Quote Originally Posted by MuchosPixels View Post
    I agree, best to stick to lower angle stuff and avoid above treelike and open terrain. There was a wicked wind storm around Vail a few days ago.
    Yeah, that surface hoar is really slidy. Remote triggered a few on Vail pass today on that layer.

Quote Originally Posted by Lindahl View Post

Anyone know why they bombed the shit out of Peak 7's SE face (or did it go natural)? Seems way too early to start chucking bombs. Shouldn't they wait a little longer after the storm and at least give the snow a CHANCE to settle? I can understand the Peak 6 bombing, as the slide path could have possibly entered the terrain they wanted to open, but the bombing up on Peak 7 doesn't make sense to me. Gonna take even longer before it's ready to ski now.
    they don't want anyone to ski anything above tree line this year at breck, well other than that south faceing shit off of peak 6.

the 5 lb bombs weren't fun enough, so they started throwing 10 and 15lb bombs, oooops, peak 7 is done until march, unless it starts snowing again............

Hit pretty much everywhere in Summit/Eagle. I couldn't see 10' in front of me for a while driving on Hwy 9. Peak 6 opened yesterday and it looked windfucked to all hell. Some MASSIVE slides up there too. Peak 7's SE face went HUGE. A couple of the common paths went on Peak 6. All bombs it seemed like.

Why don't you go skiing up there and ask patrol? Maybe give them some advice. You seem to be this years armchair avy expert. Gonna start calling you "Rog Lite™"

Quote Originally Posted by ULLRismyco-pilot View Post
    Why don't you go skiing up there and ask patrol? Maybe give them some advice. You seem to be this years armchair avy expert. Gonna start calling you "Rog Lite™"
    I would have done just that except that I can't ski right now - dealing with a ankle fracture still.

I would have done just that except that I can't ski right now - dealing with a ankle fracture still.
    Yeah, I know, that's why you have taken it upon yourself to criticize every fucking avalanche incident in CO this year. Step away from the computer, go for a drive or something. Stop calling out the people who are actually out there getting after it every day.

Remember this: http://www.tetongravity.com/forums/s...vail+avalanche

How's your armchair risk tolerance these days?

Well I learned a couple lessons this week. It is not OK to enter Loveland from the backcountry, even if you have a season pass. Loveland patrollers are still cool, even when they are trying to deliver a stern message. And a 4 mile skin to ski wind buffed concrete on chair 8 is a mildly idiotic idea.
    Fighting leads to killing, and killing gets to warring. And that was damn near the death of us all.

Quote Originally Posted by MadMatt View Post
    Well I learned a couple lessons this week. It is not OK to enter Loveland from the backcountry, even if you have a season pass. Loveland patrollers are still cool, even when they are trying to deliver a stern message. And a 4 mile skin to ski wind buffed concrete on chair 8 is a mildly idiotic idea.
    If you came in through the gate I'd tell them to get fucked.

What about LL patrol is cool? Is it the frequent beatering under the lift, or getting big sections of the ridge sliding to the ground after people have been skiing it, or is it the telling you you can't access open terrain on NF land that's cool?
    "High risers are for people with fused ankles, jongs and dudes who are too fat to see their dick or touch their toes.
    Prove me wrong."
    -I've seen black diamonds!

throughpolarizedeyes.com

Quote Originally Posted by Bean View Post
    If you came in through the gate I'd tell them to get fucked.
    They haven't put up any gates yet. We entered through the saddle between Dry Gulch and Loveland. There were no gates, and there were no ropes. It was wide open. He had a hard time explaining it, but he stated that it is OK to exit Loveland through a gate, but it's not OK to enter the area from a gate.

What about LL patrol is cool? Is it the frequent beatering under the lift, or getting big sections of the ridge sliding to the ground after people have been skiing it, or is it the telling you you can't access open terrain on NF land that's cool?
    I see what you're saying. I don't know, I guess it's the fact that I've gotten away with a stern warning on more than a few occasions. They don't seem to be as militant as patrollers at big resorts . . . say Copper Mt.
    Fighting leads to killing, and killing gets to warring. And that was damn near the death of us all.

Quote Originally Posted by ULLRismyco-pilot View Post
    Yeah, I know, that's why you have taken it upon yourself to criticize every fucking avalanche incident in CO this year. Step away from the computer, go for a drive or something. Stop calling out the people who are actually out there getting after it every day.
    Sounds like I stepped on your twinkle toes, harden the fuck up and get over it. I welcome criticism of my own decisions (it's a learning experience) and I like talking about that stuff. Not gonna happen. Thanks for caring though.

What about it? Post in that thread if you have something to say, as we should probably get back to discussing the all important CO weather.

Quote Originally Posted by MadMatt View Post
    They haven't put up any gates yet. We entered through the saddle between Dry Gulch and Loveland. There were no gates, and there were no ropes. It was wide open. He had a hard time explaining it, but he stated that it is OK to exit Loveland through a gate, but it's not OK to enter the area from a gate.
    Wide open? Pffffffft. He had a hard time explaining it because he was wrong and there's nothing to explain.

I've not had any negative interactions with patrollers at any areas so can't comment on how comparatively laid back LL's patrol is, but I can see them getting worse as the area moves forward with its 10-year expansion plan. They've already got $7.50 corn dogs for FSM's sake.
    "High risers are for people with fused ankles, jongs and dudes who are too fat to see their dick or touch their toes.
    Prove me wrong."
    -I've seen black diamonds!

throughpolarizedeyes.com

Quote Originally Posted by Bean View Post
    They've already got $7.50 corn dogs for FSM's sake.

Telluride looks good...photo from their fb
    Click image for larger version. 

Name:	ImageUploadedByTGR Forums1388169789.332101.jpg 
Views:	373 
Size:	61.8 KB 
ID:	147343

you are right. when I was at breck on sunday it seemed like patrol had done a real shitty job with the high alpine avalanche work. Imperial could take a while to get opened.

I'm not sure why they bombed the shit out of everything but I think it might have something to do with the massive wind loading that occurred. Almost everything up high was windfucked on sunday

Caught the opening of Eagle Wind at WP. Powder was pretty baked from the few sunny days, but still got 3 solid runs down before I lost interest. Thought Vasquez Ridge skied really well (even though there was a line, holidays right? ).

Saw a kid in a Peterson Oklahoma jersey. A sign of the weakening 'bama block?
    Last edited by hatchgreenchile; 12-28-2013 at 05:55 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by WTF is dat View Post
    you are right. when I was at breck on sunday it seemed like patrol had done a real shitty job with the high alpine avalanche work. Imperial could take a while to get opened.

I'm not sure why they bombed the shit out of everything but I think it might have something to do with the massive wind loading that occurred. Almost everything up high was windfucked on sunday
    The above treeline terrain at Breck always gets loaded. This year there is a nasty persistent slab problem (not uncommon) in most of the state. Check out CAIC for more info. Nasty slides are just waiting to be triggered, not easily, but when they do they are large. Breck SP are just prepping the slopes for (hopefully) much better snowfall in the coming weeks. Looks nasty now but after 2-3 feet it should be ok.

summit got hammered!!!

keystone is going to be off the hook big fat 6 inch powder day

sit in traffic on 70 or tear up the nite skiing choice is yours, can't wait