Page 1540 of 1646 FirstFirst ... 1535 1536 1537 1538 1539 1540 1541 1542 1543 1544 1545 ... LastLast
Results 38,476 to 38,500 of 41143
    Good episode on the San Juan Snowcast podcast with the survivor of an avalanche on new year's eve in Ophir. Just another reminder to practice rescue and 1st aid skills...

https://www.instagram.com/p/CnS3PyVusvt/?hl=en

Colorado Weather Discussion Thread

Quote Originally Posted by doebedoe View Post
    One on Trelease's main face at the same time. SAR had a busy day up there.
    I saw it had ripped but didn’t know if it was natural or skier triggered. Anyone hurt?

Quote Originally Posted by The SnowShow View Post
    Idiot on Idiot’s Cornice. Amazing we don’t have more burials than we do:

https://www.9news.com/article/sports...a-61e51630a9fc
    Just like someone else in here said pages back, all the newer backcountry users that got into it during Covid are now slightly more experienced and taking bigger chances.

Alpine Rescue Team via Facebook re the Trelease and Loveland slides:

Alpine responded to an avalanche with possible burials near Loveland Pass this afternoon. We had very limited information to go on, but the team was able to quickly determine the call was for a large slide on Mt Trelease (pictured below). Very thankful to report there were no burials in this slide.

As the team was working this slide, the team was called for an additional slide in the area of Idiots Cornice near the summit of Loveland pass. We were again able to quickly clear that slide with the help of Loveland Ski Patrol.

The backcountry is SCARY right now! You may get no signs of instability other than a slope ripping out from under or above you. We encourage folks to make extra conservative terrain decisions as we head into the holiday weekend.

Quote Originally Posted by Tommy Jong View Post
    I saw it had ripped but didn’t know if it was natural or skier triggered. Anyone hurt?
    Sounds like a natural: https://classic.avalanche.state.co.u...p?obs_id=73646

@ASmileyFace have you heard anything about Commodore slide? A buddy (whom you met) just drove over and saw an SAR truck, 6 vehicles, including one that looks to have been there overnight. The guys gearing up ‘looked very somber & serious’.

From the hairpin below, there was a substantial crown all around the rim from where we’ve skied thru Grand Daddy and down.

Sent from my iPad using TGR Forums
    Best regards, Terry
    (Direct Contact is best vs PMs)

SlideWright.com
    Ski, Snowboard & Tools, Wax and Wares
    Repair, Waxing, Tuning, Mounting Tips & more
    Add TGR handle to notes & paste 5% TGR Discount code during checkout: 1121TGR

Quote Originally Posted by goldenboy View Post
    Good episode on the San Juan Snowcast podcast with the survivor of an avalanche on new year's eve in Ophir. Just another reminder to practice rescue and 1st aid skills...

https://www.instagram.com/p/CnS3PyVusvt/?hl=en
    A second on reccing listening to this. Sobering. I wrote down some notes. And need to sign up for a companion rescue refresh class

Quote Originally Posted by Alpinord View Post
    @ASmileyFace have you heard anything about Commodore slide? A buddy (whom you met) just drove over and saw an SAR truck, 6 vehicles, including one that looks to have been there overnight. The guys gearing up ‘looked very somber & serious’.

From the hairpin below, there was a substantial crown all around the rim from where we’ve skied thru Grand Daddy and down.

Ugh. That doesn't sounds good. I know a few folks who frequent that zone.

Quote Originally Posted by tang View Post
    A second on reccing listening to this. Sobering. I wrote down some notes. And need to sign up for a companion rescue refresh class
    X3.

Goldenboy, did you ever figure anything more out about doing that companion rescue/WFA combo course? I've been thinking I could use a skills refresher and that combo seems pretty relevant.

Quote Originally Posted by snowaddict91 View Post
    X3.

Goldenboy, did you ever figure anything more out about doing that companion rescue/WFA combo course? I've been thinking I could use a skills refresher and that combo seems pretty relevant.
    Yes! All set for Jan 28-30, and there is room for more if you're interested

Sent from my SM-G996U1 using Tapatalk

Quote Originally Posted by goldenboy View Post
    Yes! All set for Jan 28-30, and there is room for more if you're interested

Sent from my SM-G996U1 using Tapatalk
    Damn, I'm committed to a hut trip that weekend or I'd sign up.

Quote Originally Posted by Alpinord View Post

Haven't heard anything yet and I saw a few Silverton SAR folks/friends who work on Red today. Usually, that kind of news travels fast here so I'm guessing there wasn't an accident.

There are a lot of folks on the pass (and in town) right now, every hut is booked, all the guide services have courses and there is a 50 person guided backcountry ski day happening tomorrow out of Silverton. If anyone is thinking of skiing McMillan tomorrow I'd skip it.

If I had to guess it was either training or he mistook the San Juan Mountain Guides truck as a SAR vehicle.

Quote Originally Posted by doebedoe View Post
    I read that report and my immediate thought was: isn’t that the same transition spot that killed the solo splitter when the face ripped a couple of seasons ago?

Quote Originally Posted by V.R.P View Post
    I read that report and my immediate thought was: isn’t that the same transition spot that killed the solo splitter when the face ripped a couple of seasons ago?
    Splitter was a bit higher. Similar size.

I’ve — multiple times—decided a partner wasn’t for me based on a ski in this zone when they insisted another 100 very up the face was fine.

When you sit in shack in Luv Valley and watch this face rip large every year you learn to steer clear.

Quote Originally Posted by snowaddict91 View Post
    Damn, I'm committed to a hut trip that weekend or I'd sign up.
    Ah, bummer.

For anyone else perusing this thread that is interested in a combo rescue/WFA course on those dates, hit me up.

Tried to go night skiing at Keystone with some family that was in town. Apparently, it only goes till 8pm, BITD it was open till like 10pm and every night. And they won't tell you how much a ticket even costs, you can only get that at the window. All calls get sent to a callcenter in India. Such a weird thing to just try to get info about the ski area 5 mins from my house. WTF? I guess Vail doesn't want that business.

CB, RMP, and Silverton have been great!

Quote Originally Posted by Name Redacted View Post
    Tried to go night skiing at Keystone with some family that was in town. Apparently, it only goes till 8pm, BITD it was open till like 10pm and every night. And they won't tell you how much a ticket even costs, you can only get that at the window. All calls get sent to a callcenter in India. Such a weird thing to just try to get info about the ski area 5 mins from my house. WTF? I guess Vail doesn't want that business.
    BITD indeed.

It hasn't been 10PM 7 days a week for 15+ years.

At least they are better at turning their lights off after 10P now.

Info is pretty easy to google on their website though.
    Quote Originally Posted by blurred
    skiing is hiking all day so that you can ski on shitty gear for 5 minutes.

Quote Originally Posted by summit View Post
    CB, RMP, and Silverton have been great!

BITD indeed.

It hasn't been 10PM 7 days a week for 15+ years.

At least they are better at turning their lights off after 10P now.

Info is pretty easy to google on their website though.
    So how much is a night skiing ticket?

six senses finally ridin! Felt good to get in there for the season. Couple crowns midway down so not all is skiable but still great snow otherwise.

Wolf Creek getting hammered. Hope it's fun!

27" in 20ish hours in Columbus Basin in the La Platas. Hesperus with the most snow for a ski area in the state... One of those weird SW storms that stays in the foothills.

We did well up north too, but Durango got more snow today.

^^^
    20” + after settling here with moderate moisture content. Colder and it could have been heading for 30” of blower.

Best regards, Terry
    (Direct Contact is best vs PMs)

SlideWright.com
    Ski, Snowboard & Tools, Wax and Wares
    Repair, Waxing, Tuning, Mounting Tips & more
    Add TGR handle to notes & paste 5% TGR Discount code during checkout: 1121TGR

About 4 on the stake here at Breck. Wolf Creek looks like it's been firing, Tuesday is shaping up to be epic.
    dedicated to the game, player

Quote Originally Posted by ASmileyFace View Post
    27" in 20ish hours in Columbus Basin in the La Platas. Hesperus with the most snow for a ski area in the state... .
    One of the best ski days of my life was at Hesperus.
    "fuck off you asshat gaper shit for brains fucktard wanker." - Jesus Christ
    "She was tossing her bean salad with the vigor of a Drunken Pop princess so I walked out of the corner and said.... "need a hand?"" - Odin
    "everybody's got their hooks into you, fuck em....forge on motherfuckers, drag all those bitches across the goal line with you." - (not so) ill-advised strategy