Page 1400 of 1651 FirstFirst ... 1395 1396 1397 1398 1399 1400 1401 1402 1403 1404 1405 ... LastLast
Results 34,976 to 35,000 of 41256
    Steady, light snow at Wolfy from mid-morning on. Maybe 2-2.5" covering car when I departed at 3:30.

Sent from my motorola edge plus using Tapatalk
    Daniel Ortega eats here.

Quote Originally Posted by skiracer88_00 View Post
    Not sure if its been posted, but opensnow now will require a paid subscription to read forecasts. I would guess this will be a good thing for overall crowding on powder days, since that website will not be the hype machine it has been since only a tiny fraction of current users will continue to use it.

Joel Gratz should probably do some research on historically ad-supported free services when they convert to paid subscription only. Anyone here still use photobucket?
    Ha no way am I paying for that site. Jumping the shark so to speak.

Quote Originally Posted by The SnowShow View Post
    Ha no way am I paying for that site. Jumping the shark so to speak.
    I think it's been like this for a while... you get ~4 "views" per week and have to pay for unlimited access. Or is he charging for everything now?

Did Outside buy Opensnow too?

Edit, nevermind.... charging for basically any access. I think he's over-estimating the value he brings (which is basically nothing, if you're willing to read an actual weather forecast).

https://support.cloudnineweather.com...t-required-faq

yeah think I am good on paying for open snow. I like to read forecasts but in the end I already know when and where I am going skiing so no thanks.

I’m just gonna look out the window and play it as it lays these days.

So far so good I CB. Fingers crossed. No way I'd spend money for open snow when noaa forecast discussion is better

Sent from my SM-G996U1 using Tapatalk

I'm thinking about starting an I-70 shitshow forecast app. Subscription based.

I'll forecast the incoming shitstorm with various proprietary forecast models I have built for I-70 traffic/weather/shitstorm analysis.

Anyone here interested in this?

Quote Originally Posted by goldenboy View Post
    So far so good I CB. Fingers crossed. No way I'd spend money for open snow when noaa forecast discussion is better

Totally agree. Between that and the discussion daily on Seth’s Facebook page, who needs to pay for OpenSnow. Big miscalculation by Joel IMO.

Quote Originally Posted by Hott Butt Mud View Post
    I'm thinking about starting an I-70 shitshow forecast app. Subscription based.

I'll forecast the incoming shitstorm with various proprietary forecast models I have built for I-70 traffic/weather/shitstorm analysis.

Anyone here interested in this?
    Have at it. Although these days, 1” = shitshow.
    Name:  IMG_9712.JPG
Views: 329
Size:  77.6 KB

I'm guessing the calculus for the decision was rather simple. Given that they currently run on all access members and a shitton of people just read it for free, the tradeoff of giving up a little ad revenue for getting even a modest percentage of the free readers to subscribe is probably a no brainer economically.
    Is it radix panax notoginseng? - splat
    This is like hanging yourself but the rope breaks. - DTM
    Dude Listen to mtm. He's a marriage counselor at burning man. - subtle plague

Joel is trying to get this crowd to read and or buy his stuff. He is after dumb down lowest common denominator tourist guy. It works, I hear gapers on the lift talk about it all the time. NWS, Seth, and Highpoint Weather are clearly the best in my opinion. The guy at Highpoint is really technical but does a great job. No mention of “thicker” or “fluffy” is a bonus

Sent from my iPhone using TGR Forums
    ROLL TIDE ROLL

Quote Originally Posted by montanaskier View Post
    The guy at Highpoint is really technical but does a great job. No mention of “thicker” or “fluffy” is a bonus

Highpoint has been new to me this year. Good stuff. Agreed on thick and fluffy. He laments it will be thick and supportive when there's like 20" on the ground. I'll take the base builder, thanks.

5" on the pow cam since close, so over an inch per hour

It also bothers me that all the resorts now refer to OpenSnow as the soothsayer of snow. Makes me suspicious he’s getting quietly paid by them.

open snow was bought by vail a few years ago

Quote Originally Posted by fastfred View Post
    open snow was bought by vail a few years ago
    doesn't make sense. If vail owned it, they would have a vested interest in keeping it free as a "hype machine" for their resorts. Pretty sure Joel still owns it.

Joel owns it. Y'all realize business records can be publicly searched?

Given that there are "Daily Snows" for some individual mountains but not others, I think it's fairly obvious that those mountains are paying him.

I’ve long thought it would be fun to have a weather site that’s as accurate as any other but attributes the accuracy and the weather to rituals and supernatural forces.

Prolly been done.

If we're gonna wear uniforms, we should all wear somethin' different!

The hate for OpenSnow is funny. I bet y’all hate Kathy Sabin too. WTF is wrong with you people?

what happened to looking out the window?

open snow is vail's bitch no one noticed that?

yo man
    kathy is the og denver weather girl no hate here

Quote Originally Posted by Jong Lafitte View Post
    I’ve long thought it would be fun to have a weather site that’s as accurate as any other but attributes the accuracy and the weather to rituals and supernatural forces.
    Prolly been done.
    He steers clear of pagan rituals and the like, but this one is pretty out there: https://futuresnow.co/news-updates.

Next week brings some atmospheric river leftovers, I like it. Let's keep the storm train going!

Quote Originally Posted by Name Redacted View Post
    The hate for OpenSnow is funny. I bet y’all hate Kathy Sabin too. WTF is wrong with you people?
    No hate here. He developed a great business talking about snow. That's awesome. That doesn't mean I'll pay when there are lots of free places to get the same info. But I wish him the best.

I basically go to the same ski area, and ski the same runs off the same lift, everyfuckingday anyway so snow forecasts pretty much just motivate me to take more time off work and ski. They don't really determine where I'm going skiing very often.

Quote Originally Posted by Name Redacted View Post
    I basically go to the same ski area, and ski the same runs off the same lift, everyfuckingday anyway so snow forecasts pretty much just motivate me to take more time off work and ski. They don't really determine where I'm going skiing very often.
    local on the 8's

Highpoint is rad, thanks for the tip