Page 1204 of 1646 FirstFirst ... 1199 1200 1201 1202 1203 1204 1205 1206 1207 1208 1209 ... LastLast
Results 30,076 to 30,100 of 41143
    Quote Originally Posted by galibier_numero_un View Post
    And remember, that copying management on a thank you note is a cool thing.
    Oh yeah, forgot about management. They would appreciate an 8-ball.

Quote Originally Posted by PeteDee View Post
    Any thoughts on how to best thank a ski patrol for providing help? A donation to CAIC in their name, or directly for some equipment they might need?

I flew off a groomer roll at high speed last weekend at Wolf Creek. Didn't stick the landing, shattered a vertebra, nearly paralyzed myself. My semi-miraculous recovery of the use of my legs started with incredible, professional, timely, knowledgeable support from the WC patrol. They got me stabilized, down the hill, and on an ambulance in a ridiculously short period of time. Hell, the IV line they put in me lasted my entire week in the hospital and was better done than the handful of others in me at one point or another.

I figured this community would be able to best advise on what I could do to show some thanks (or maybe even includes some WC patrollers).
    Thank you notes mean a lot. As does beer, pizza, doughnuts -- and especially as Thom mentioned -- a note to management. Management and patrol are part of the same team but they sometimes don't see eye to eye. Reminding area management the valuable work of patrol is a damn good thing.

Patrollers often don't get to learn about recovery and the whole scenario after the fact. Hearing about it is very rewarding given how much work they put in for such shit pay (or long volunteer hours.)

Thanks all for the input and vibes. I think I'll go with a letter to management, then a separate note to ski patrol with some cash in there for slush fund use. And great point about knowing the outcome...I'm sure they'll appreciate knowing just how critical my time with them was.

Appreciate the info and apologize for the thread jack. Thinking snow for the rest of yall.

hope you have a complete recovery. Apparently patrol has a cooler they keep stocked. Wolf Creek pays fairly well for this area. I was told a few of the patrollers are paramedics that see a good bit of action working the local ambulances in the summer. Was a pretty fun 8 inch day today.
    off your knees Louie

Quote Originally Posted by BFD View Post
    hope you have a complete recovery. Apparently patrol has a cooler they keep stocked. Wolf Creek pays fairly well for this area. I was told a few of the patrollers are paramedics that see a good bit of action working the local ambulances in the summer. Was a pretty fun 8 inch day today.
    Thanks a ton. And then my IV anecdote makes perfect sense, as that wasn't a "stick" from an amateur.

... Appreciate the info and apologize for the thread jack. Thinking snow for the rest of yall.
    One of the better thread jacks.

... Thom
    Galibier Design
    crafting technology in service of music

Thanks a ton. And then my IV anecdote makes perfect sense, as that wasn't a "stick" from an amateur.
    For reference -- pretty much any time you get stuck with an IV at a ski area, it's going to be a paramedic doing so. (Not us lowly OEC or EMT level folk).

Quote Originally Posted by galibier_numero_un View Post
    One of the better thread jacks.

... Thom
    Cheers...appreciate the appreciation.

Quote Originally Posted by doebedoe View Post
    For reference -- pretty much any time you get stuck with an IV at a ski area, it's going to be a paramedic doing so. (Not us lowly OEC or EMT level folk).
    Thanks for that info...until now, my appreciation of patrol was mainly all the amazing work done to open terrain, avy control, manage closures, donks who jump them, simple stuff like rope lines and sweeps, etc. as those were the main services I used. The medical side was foreign to me (two decades of luck, or not riding hard enough I guess). I watched people get hauled out on sleds and would always think, that's got to be scary, hope they're OK.

Then I took my own sled ride (whee), and got to see the other half of what patrol does. Sometimes you don't know til you know. I sure do now. Getting those letters out today.

Where did you wipe out, PeteDee? I skied Wolfy all of last week, except Sunday and Thursday.

If you'd like, I can bring a few sixers to Patrol on your behalf.
    Daniel Ortega eats here.

Quote Originally Posted by Viva View Post
    Where did you wipe out, PeteDee? I skied Wolfy all of last week, except Sunday and Thursday.

If you'd like, I can bring a few sixers to Patrol on your behalf.
    Sad but true, on the groomers off Raven on my warmup run first thing. It may have been near the Bunny Hop/Snow Shoe junction. This was Saturday the 29th. The cord was beautiful, opened the throttle and stopped checking speed without mentally being locked in yet, and didn't have my weight in the right place when I shot off a roll. In my mind it was just going to be a soft rollover with a bit of air and instead I was way up there with my board way out of position. I wasnt gonna stick the landing so tried to skid out on my butt vs. catch an edge and torque something hard/hit my head, and ended up sacrificing my L1 and nearly my mobility.

The benefit of badly injuring myself on terrain where I really had to try hard to injure myself was a quick rescue and easy sled ride down to the shack. Steeper more remote stuff, I imagine that the difficult road out would've drastically increased the risk of complications given I had a loose piece of bone threatening my spine.

So yeah, nearly ended my life as I know it on a groomer. Hard to admit it in this space (or anywhere), but that's what happened.

If you PM me a way to paypal/venmo you, I'll take you up on that offer for sure, it would be a nice compliment to the letters and $ I'm sending. TY!

I know the exact spot. There's a roller, or two, just before Snowshoe. The Texans always steer clear of that feature.

I'll ask around tomorrow- maybe I can find out which patrollers helped you and relay your gratitude.

Please don't be concerned with recompense...this is what we do.
    Daniel Ortega eats here.

I know the exact spot. There's a roller, or two, just before Snowshoe. The Texans always steer clear of that feature.

I'll ask around tomorrow- maybe I can find out which patrollers helped you and relay your gratitude.

Please don't be concerned with recompense...this is what we do.
    Exactly. Skiers right. Should've just done a speed check and sailed off and/or prepped for a proper righteous launch. Thanks a ton, that really means a lot. I want to say some names but I was way too foggy. Whoever was on that side of the hill, guy and a gal, and then one of the supervisors was in the shack helping out when the ambulance came from Pagosa. Great people and I owe them a lot, any thanks you can pass on would be greatly appreciated.

Edit to mention someone even drove my jeep down to the medical center in pagosa (in the hope I'd still be there and be able to drive out). That's so damn legit.

The primary patoller who helped ypu was Matt Schwarz. Don't know about the others. Whilst the consumption of beer on the mountain is frowned upon, IF THEY DID, I have a pretty good idea about what to bring them.

Sent from my SM-G960U using TGR Forums mobile app
    Daniel Ortega eats here.

A keg would do

The primary patoller who helped ypu was Matt Schwarz. Don't know about the others. Whilst the consumption of beer on the mountain is frowned upon, IF THEY DID, I have a pretty good idea about what to bring them.
    Yes, bearded dude, that sounds familiar now. He was spectacular, please thank him for me, and if you can drop off some libations I would owe you dearly. Happy to pay but if not hopefully will be able to make it up to you in time. TY.

Yes, bearded dude, that sounds familiar now. He was spectacular, please thank him for me, and if you can drop off some libations I would owe you dearly. Happy to pay but if not hopefully will be able to make it up to you in time. TY.
    Delivered and accepted by Molly cor Matt. iSalut!Click image for larger version. 

Name:	20200312_093326.jpeg 
Views:	152 
Size:	101.4 KB 
ID:	319976

Daniel Ortega eats here.

Eldora closed today due to power outages/high wind.
    "fuck off you asshat gaper shit for brains fucktard wanker." - Jesus Christ
    "She was tossing her bean salad with the vigor of a Drunken Pop princess so I walked out of the corner and said.... "need a hand?"" - Odin
    "everybody's got their hooks into you, fuck em....forge on motherfuckers, drag all those bitches across the goal line with you." - (not so) ill-advised strategy

Nice work, Viva!
    "fuck off you asshat gaper shit for brains fucktard wanker." - Jesus Christ
    "She was tossing her bean salad with the vigor of a Drunken Pop princess so I walked out of the corner and said.... "need a hand?"" - Odin
    "everybody's got their hooks into you, fuck em....forge on motherfuckers, drag all those bitches across the goal line with you." - (not so) ill-advised strategy

Delivered and accepted by Molly cor Matt. iSalut!Click image for larger version. 

Name:	20200312_093326.jpeg 
Views:	152 
Size:	101.4 KB 
ID:	319976

Unbelievable! Thanks a ton, and particularly since I'm not a well established member of this community. Your kindness knows no bounds. I really appreciate it and I hope to return the favor and thank you in person when I'm back on my feet down there. Amazing stuff, made my day, really. Thank you!!

Nice work

Quote Originally Posted by Danno View Post
    Eldora closed today due to power outages/high wind.
    dam, windy yesterday but by 1 it was bliss. mashed tater bumps....

That is top notch maggotyness right there, Viva

Colorado Weather Discussion Thread

Hell yes!! Good on the both of you! Hope you have full recovery ASAP Pete! Viva, you are just the damn man!
    Fear, Doubt, Disbelief, you have to let it all go. Free your mind!

Yup! Awesome maggot-tudinosity right there, viva!
    Galibier Design
    crafting technology in service of music

Are frangers gonna be too scared to ski this weekend?