Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 1 2 3 LastLast
    Quote Originally Posted by Ride_a_Yeti View Post
    Well that's just ridiculous. I can't hardly believe it!
    And the overlapping holes were with a tightly clustered three-hole pattern:
    http://skimo.co/dynafit-low-tech-race-bindings

More fun along the same theme:
    http://slc-samurai.blogspot.com/2014...se-is-too.html
    Mo' skimo here: NE Rando Race Series

Well, I am running out of real estate, so I just went pretty close. I think less than mm on 2 holes. Right next to JB weld filled holes on a metal topsheet.
    I think 1 of thos skis is up to 6 mounts.

Yeah this not something to worry about. Fill the holes with plugs & epoxy, let dry, than mount as you wish. If some are half-overlapping or whatever it doesn't matter (although I guess I wouldn't want the same mount pattern 1-3 mm off where they are all overlapping, but why would you do that)

Here's what I discovered tonight - I have existing holes of 36mm wide (I think they were Barons) and my new bindings are 38mm wide (Kingpins). And completely different lengths - so on my toe piece I would put the front two screws into the pre existing holes at a weird angle or something and the back two screws into new holes (10mm away from old holes). And the rear bindings would go into all fresh holes. Bad idea to do those two screws into the slightly off holes? These are on Nordica Hell and Back.
    or you could just elongate the holes in the kingpins with a chainsaw file
    Lee Lau - xxx-er is the laziest Asian canuck I know

Plug the old holes and use helicoils or inserts were there is overlap with the new holes. Then your boot will be in the correct position. Simple.
    Leave No Turn Unstoned!

Quote Originally Posted by DropCliffsNotBombs View Post
    Plug the old holes and use helicoils or inserts were there is overlap with the new holes. Then your boot will be in the correct position. Simple.
    I've had good luck with this method. I plugged them with hardwood dowels first.

If you tap and drill with a guide/drill press, you can insert skis when you want new holes only 1-3mm away (center to center) from old ones, essentilly shifting the old holes over a few mm.

Plug old holes with wood and/or epoxy and drill new holes. If the new holes produce spinner then use helicoils. Really if you use good epoxy and wood you shouldn't need the heli coil. I've done this many times. People worry too much about overlap.

Quote Originally Posted by AaronWright View Post
    Plug old holes with wood and/or epoxy and drill new holes. If the new holes produce spinner then use helicoils. Really if you use good epoxy and wood you shouldn't need the heli coil. I've done this many times. People worry too much about overlap.
    Agreed. Forgot to mention, use wood plugs instead of plastic. And use epoxy instead of binding glue when you do this.
    People DO worry too much about binding screw hole proximity! It's almost funny to watch rookie ski techs moving mounting positions all over the ski in an effort to maintain a certain (contrived) distance (6mm? 7mm? 10mm?) from old screw holes. Don't believe this urban myth!
    Leave No Turn Unstoned!

XXX-er, thanks. It seems like a really bad idea, I agree. To go outside of the existing 2 sets of holes (this will be the third set - time for new skis?) I'd have to get 2cm front or back of factory line. And I can't decide to go front or back!

Quote Originally Posted by 1000-oaks View Post
    If there's no way to get around holes right next to each other, get some #12AB aluminum screws (which have almost the exact same thread as ski binding screws) and epoxy them into the old holes. Cut them off and grind flush with the ski after the epoxy sets.

Drill & tap your new pattern. Bomber. The aluminum screws won't restore the core strength, but they won't contribute to pull-out of the new screws like slippery plastic plugs might. I haven't drilled an overlapping pattern into the alum screws, but I wouldn't be surprised if it held fine.
    Perfect. Thanks!

Quote Originally Posted by AaronWright View Post
    Plug old holes with wood and/or epoxy and drill new holes. If the new holes produce spinner then use helicoils.
    Good advice: basically rebuilding the core. Use good hardwood plugs and good long-set epoxy, and let it cure before drilling.

Model boat building supply websites have 4mm hardwood dowel if you want to cut your own tight-fitting plugs (I use a Dremel with a cutoff wheel). It is kind of time consuming though.

It'd be easy and quick with a lathe.

XXX-er, thanks. It seems like a really bad idea, I agree. To go outside of the existing 2 sets of holes (this will be the third set - time for new skis?) I'd have to get 2cm front or back of factory line!

IMO once you cut the fibres in a core you have lost the strength of the continuity in that material SO I don't think elongating holes in a core is the best thing and so while wood plugs give you material to screw into I don't think a wood plug will restore that strength of continuity

I have used FG & 24hr epoxy to fix spinners with 100% success SO I would probably cram the holes with chopped FG strands & 24 hr epoxy making sure to not overly wet the FG strands and drilling that would work as well or > a wood plug IMO

While its probably gona be OK I have seen a guy break a ski in two due to elongated holes, once back in the day it was a 280lb crazy man on some foam core kniessel redstar slalom skis where buddy had put shims under the binding and elongated the wholes in the process, he was bashing black dioamond moguls with zero finesse for like a perfect storm of shitting on a ski, I folded the ski in half and put it over my shoulder to carry it down for buddy

I should point out at this time I was just being absurd suggesting that anyone should use a chainsaw file to elongate the holes in a new binding ... it might fuck up the chainsaw file eh

Quote Originally Posted by XXX-er View Post
    or you could just elongate the holes in the kingpins with a chainsaw file
    That's what I wanted to do! There's almost no metal around those holes on the Kingpins (front piece) so not sure on that one. Maybe if I add a washer or something.

So you're saying the wood plug and epoxy will bond to the ski well enough that it will hold the insert no prob right? How long/hard have you skied on the skis you've done this too? Thanks for your feedback Joebornstein

I think I'll only need to do this on the front two screws for the front piece of the Kingpins. I think I can get fresh holes everywhere else.

[QUOTE=XXX-er;4844995] I have used FG & 24hr epoxy to fix spinners with 100% success

Sorry I'm dumb. Like the stuff you'd use for a canoe repair... those FG woven sheets?

Quote Originally Posted by 1000-oaks View Post
    Model boat building supply websites have 4mm hardwood dowel if you want to cut your own tight-fitting plugs (I use a Dremel with a cutoff wheel). It is kind of time consuming though.
    Bamboo chopsticks, stick the end in a pencil sharpener for a second or two.

This might help visualize the process (use of super glue not withstanding). Some of this is a bit over the top for plugging a ski hole.

https://youtu.be/vgtgcIlFGrs

... Thom
    Last edited by galibier_numero_un; 11-07-2016 at 10:25 AM. Reason: For clarity
    Galibier Design
    crafting technology in service of music

[QUOTE=Ride_a_Yeti;4846965] .

Quote Originally Posted by XXX-er View Post
    I have used FG & 24hr epoxy to fix spinners with 100% success

Sorry I'm dumb. Like the stuff you'd use for a canoe repair... those FG woven sheets?
    yes I use the FG woven cloth you don't need much, cut it into 1/2 inch strands, I wet the FG out with 24hrs epoxy but make sure it is not too rich, some of these ideas are a race to the bottom as to how sketchy one can you go and not have a failure ... this^^ is as low as I am willing to go

Usually if I am plugging holes I just use the plastic plugs you hammer in, I have used golf tee's and the like to plug holes its just a pain in the ass making them the correct size, you can also just buy 3 ft of hardwood dowel from most HW stores for a few bucks
    ?

I don't know if it did/will help, but doing a remount for a friend that wanted the binding where the new holes just touched the old ones I dropped helicoils in after plugging the holes with epoxy and wood, figuring those might give some extra holding power.

[QUOTE=Ride_a_Yeti;4846965]So you're saying the wood plug and epoxy will bond to the ski well enough that it will hold the insert no prob right? How long/hard have you skied on the skis you've done this too? Thanks for your feedback Joebornstein

I have skied skis with multiple overlapping holes in several world tour big mountain competitions. I'm only 145 lbs. though....
    Leave No Turn Unstoned!

Thanks all. The youtube vid is helpful. All comments are helpful. I think I'm going to fill the old holes with epoxy as XXX-er suggests AND move forward a CM. Although watching through this youtube vid I'm still considering overlapping...

Thanks all. The youtube vid is helpful. All comments are helpful. I think I'm going to fill the old holes with epoxy as XXX-er suggests AND move forward a CM. Although watching through this youtube vid I'm still considering overlapping...
    I think you're over thinking this. Fill holes with wood/fg and epoxy. Drill where you want and IF you get a spinner put in a helicoil.

That's what I did! Worked - thanks

BUMP!! for:

So I have some E98s, to mount the bindings where I want them, I'm going to get some overlap in two of the holes. The skis have a metal layer in them and require a tap. I want to try this method:

Quote Originally Posted by MagnificentUnicorn View Post
    I think you're over thinking this. Fill holes with wood/fg and epoxy. Drill where you want and IF you get a spinner put in a helicoil.
    Any special considerations or better technique for the metal or the tap? I'm going to be overlapping by maybe even more than 1/2 over, will a guide/press be mandatory? Will I die if I attempt this?

Thanks!
    Last edited by Jong Lafitte; 11-03-2018 at 02:13 PM.
    If we're gonna wear uniforms, we should all wear somethin' different!