Crested Butte car camping beta

I've never been to CB during the winter.

So, I just wanted to see if there were any good places to park my truck and sleep overnight there. I might go up tonight or tomorrow night. But, probably wait until next week. I'm hoping they'll have a little more open.

Normally, I'd just wing it cause I never worry about this crap. But, with the free skiing and all, I figure they might be nazis about sleeping in the parking lots and around town.

The word Gaper is overused Guest
    better wait until next week

I lived in my car for most of a season. Park up Slate Creek Rd. There's a trailhead at the end of the road/ winter closure. You can't park on the street in town

I have no beta on car-camping in the winter in CB (live in Gunny), but we are suposed to be getting some good snow fri/sat.

cement creek

Thanks.
    Is there a paver creek or an asphalt creek that might be better pehaps?

KC's Slate river sounds pretty good. Cement would work, too, but it's far. I'm not sure if you would get hassled at the Gothic trailhead, probably not. Parking in the overnight lot at the Kebler trailhead would probably be cool as well (and I know I've seen overnight campers on pullouts on the Kebler road as well).

My condo parking lot won't work, but I'm sure you could also try to befriend a local with a driveway you could park in for the price of a few beers.

Doing a little thread revival here - it looks kinda dated.... Any beta on dirtbag car camping in CB? Is Gothic my best bet? I'm just not sure what roads will be open in a week or two. THANKS

Bumping this-any of the above spots accessible with lower clearance? Any other ideas not mentioned? If nothing else I could pony up for a place to stay but I'd like to avoid paying if possible.

Quote Originally Posted by V.R.P View Post
    Bumping this-any of the above spots accessible with lower clearance? Any other ideas not mentioned? If nothing else I could pony up for a place to stay but I'd like to avoid paying if possible.
    All accessible by low clearance. Kebler and slate TH's would be your best bet. Another option is out Brush creek road to the brush creek trailhead.

I know there's no overnight parking allowed at the Slate trailhead. There are overnight spots at Kebler, but you might need a permit. If you're subtle and can read the signs correctly, parking in town would probably work fine. If you use a pullout on Brush or Cement I doubt you'd be hassled.

Ba-Bump
    Heading down this weekend.

Kebler still the best bet? How do I pronounce that? Key-Blur? or Kehb-lahr?

Any locals have 2019 beta on free forest land pull offs in the CB area? I will be in a pop-up truck camper heading down Sunday, and usually find no issues with national forest land anywhere in CO just have not been down to the CB area.
    Kebler pass? Gothic Trailhead? Any advice would be appreciated.

Quote Originally Posted by Tryingtostaywarm View Post
    Any locals have 2019 beta on free forest land pull offs in the CB area? I will be in a pop-up truck camper heading down Sunday, and usually find no issues with national forest land anywhere in CO just have not been down to the CB area.
    Kebler pass? Gothic Trailhead? Any advice would be appreciated.
    Pop up truck camper is zero stealth, so town is probably out. Kebler is permits required, and there is a new sign this year, but it has worked in the past. How long are you staying?
    The whole human race is de evolving; it is due to birth control, smart people use birth control, and stupid people keep pooping out more stupid babies.

Cement Creek TH. Kebler...there are signs but it works.

A couple years ago I stopped at the police office. They said parking in town is cool, just pay attention to the alternate side parking signs, even with a camper. Talk with a cop.

We have a hard side truck camper. almost zero stealth.