The word Gaper is overused Guest

Crested Butte... a ShitShow??

So we're heading to CB for some free skiing this weekend and I've been hearing a lot about CB being a shitshow right now because of the free skiing.

C'mon how many people are actually driving to CB this time of year? It is gonna be good this weekend but how crowded I wonder?

Bring on the Butteitude you fucking wannabe locals...

We are making the trip this weekend from the fort.
    I see it as a nice long weekend in a great ski town with some friends not to mention free skiing.

A beer fortress in the kingdom of cheese...
    I'll be there from the Midwest... So yea, gaper galore.
    If some of the best times of my life were skiing the UP in -40 wind chill with nothing but jeans, cotton long johns and a wine flask to keep warm while sleeping in the back of my dad's van... does that make me old school?

"REHAB SAVAGE, REHAB!!!"

Last Saturday = Definite ClownShow. Red Lady was Down and people were actually hiking to Paradise up Houston. I nearly gave up on the day, but eventually accessed Paradise and Teo for a little white out fun. The following day in the BC was far superior, but that is to be expected this time of year.

I just checked their site, and it looks like several runs under the queen are now open. With forecasted snow for the next few days, the skiing should be entertaining. Do not, however, expect to see any of the "Real terrain" open for quite some time.

Quote Originally Posted by gunniride View Post
    Red Lady was Down and people were actually hiking to Paradise up Houston.

Now that is free skiing!

long lines

Last weekend could definitely be considered a "shit show." The snow was amazing but barely outweighed the "massive" lines. (massive for CB can differ quite a bit from any front range resort) With more terrain open this weekend I would assume it will be a lot better, especially with all the snow in the forcast. As for the "real" terrain, if CB gets as much or more as last weekend, we could expect the headwall and/or NF to be open in the next 2 weeks...

Angry

I would very much like to meet this guy "Gaper is Over Used" so I can punch him in the throat.

Quote Originally Posted by The word Gaper is overused View Post
    So we're heading to CB for some free skiing this weekend and I've been hearing a lot about CB being a shitshow right now because of the free skiing.

C'mon how many people are actually driving to CB this time of year? It is gonna be good this weekend but how crowded I wonder?

Bring on the Butteitude you fucking wannabe locals...
    Why don't you pack your stuff and head in any direction...who cares where!!! Just don't stay in Colorado.
    WOW...Reid you animal!

Quote Originally Posted by Telski View Post
    Now that is free skiing!
    That hike cost about 30 minutes of my time and bought me about 2 hours of riding the Paradise with no lines. Well worth it IMO. I was, however, kicking myself for only bringing my alpine boots and no skins on the trip.

=FLO= is offline www.coloradofreeskier.com
    Twister, International, Jokerville, and Crystal opened today

And yes last weekend was a complete shitshow, crazy long lines, and a broken Red Lady lift, Lines this weekend will most likely be long, they did implement the season pass line which helps us locals.

Quote Originally Posted by Pinner View Post
    I would very much like to meet this guy "Gaper is Over Used" so I can punch him in the throat.
    be careful though, as there will undoubtedly be a line forming to do the very same thing.
    Top of the Food Chain for White Trash America

This weekend was crowded b/c of the storm. Lots of folks came b/c of the snow and free ski, but ski patrol wasn't able to get in quick enough to open the runs that could have been open. On Monday they had several more runs open than they had open on Sunday. I think there is potential for lots more runs to be open by the weekend.

Still, what they have open is intermediate terrian. They need one more good storm to be able to open advanced terrain. If another storm hits that's good, they'll still need time to get ski patrol out there to rope and open things up. That's just the way it goes.

CB isn't any more of a shit show right now than anywhere else on the Front Range. On Saturday I waited in lines at Winter Park for 30+ minutes for a lame 500 ft of vert, with 3 runs basically open. CB had shorter lines on Sunday even with these crowds, free ski, and the snow.
    -
    14erskiers.com

"Don't be afraid of the spaces between your dreams and reality. If you can dream it, you can make it so." - Belva Davis

"There are only two ways to live your life. One is as though nothing is a miracle. The other is as though everything is a miracle"--Albert Einstein