Thread: hey plow guy...

hey plow guy...

Im glad you didnt show up again today because I would've beat you senseless with the shovel after I dug the ten tons of glop out my driveway that I already paid you to plow. Go ahead and keep your phone shut off motherfucker, your fired! I hope you and your fucking plow are burried in the ditch some where because thats the only acceptable excuse.

sorry, I had to get that out somehow.

at least you got snow. It rained here.
    No longer stuck.

Quote Originally Posted by stuckathuntermtn View Post
    Just an uneducated guess.

I learned a valuable lesson yesterday: Call a cab on future powder days. Our plow guy didn't show up until after 9pm last night, after I spent almost 2 hours shoveling out yesterday morning. It's probably a good thing the alpine lifts didn't open yesterday, or there'd be a dead plow guy thawing out of a snow bank come spring.

You're new to the mountains aren't you ? Threatening a plow driver with a shovel doubles the the arrival time and guarantees lateness to work/powder. You've prepaid for the season right ? Making 'phone calls p*$$@$ #ff his family and a p*$$@d #ff family is not what he wants when he gets off his shift. Things are going to get worse before you capitulate. They can get a lot worse. Leave a six-pack near your front door as a little peace offering.

tough one. pre-pay service and no follow through. good luck with the replacement search, hopefully a better result.

Shovel the end of the driveway, throw snow to the right. Plow guy can get in and city/county plow guy won't push all the snow you just shoveled back into your driveway.

Plow guy's not gonna fuck with a two-three-foot compressed snowbank guaranteed, he needs that truck.

Quote Originally Posted by 72Twenty View Post
    Heh, def a NY/NE attitude on that guy, I rate it a seven!

Quote Originally Posted by iceman View Post
    Heh, def a NY/NE attitude on that guy, I rate it a seven!
    He's a comedian from Boston.

It's funny, you probably can't even hear it, but some parts sound Boston and other parts are NY, that guy has spent some time in both for sure. Good clip, thanks.

Quote Originally Posted by TruckeeLocal View Post
    You're new to the mountains aren't you ? Threatening a plow driver with a shovel doubles the the arrival time and guarantees lateness to work/powder. You've prepaid for the season right ? Making 'phone calls p*$$@$ #ff his family and a p*$$@d #ff family is not what he wants when he gets off his shift. Things are going to get worse before you capitulate. They can get a lot worse. Leave a six-pack near your front door as a little peace offering.
    1st off, I may have been ranting and raving here on TGR, but I never personally threatened the guy with a shovel to the head. I've lived in a ski town long enough to know that 1/2 the so called businesses out there are really fronts for ski bums to take peoples cash so the ski bum can go skiing all winter. You probably fit into that category and its people with your attitude that perpetuate poor service in ski towns. I'm certainly not going to give the plow guy who blew me off for two days beer! With your bong logic, I'd never ski another pow day and have a broken back from shoveling all season while home boys gettin the goods with a fully stocked fridge.

I was calling his business #, but you gave me a good idea to call his house and bother his family. That usually gets peoples attention. I got the guys home # from info and called him early this morning. He had the audacity to tell me he came by last night, but there were cars in the driveway and didnt want to bother me. He figured he'd come by later today instead... He even told me theres a spot where he had plowed in to get off the road... and there is... WTF??? I would have dropped everything and gladly moved the cars out last night. I might have even been happy about it and forgiven the guy for blowing me off. Bottom line is you don't leave your customers hanging for two days after a storm with your business phone shut off and not make phone calls to say your running late or even bang on the front door to move cars when you finally do show up. As my wife said "that guy is just stupid and we don't need to deal with it"

Anyway, I just had it out with the guy and fired his ass. I also got my money back. The guy had a pocket full of cash. It looked like he had a whole list of angry customers he'd over extended and now has to refund. I already have another guy lined up who came well recommended from my neighbor who hired the same dick head as me. The new guy offered a free plow to earn my business.

Clean your own driveway you fucking pansy!
    Samuel L. Jackson as Jules Winnfield: Oh, I'm sorry. Did I break your concentration?

Did you call Mr. Plow?

Quote Originally Posted by teleee View Post
    Clean your own driveway you fucking pansy!
    heh... I've got better things to do when it snows.

Typically it's a good idea for a few neighbors to use the same plow guy. Then it's an easy pass for him. Doesn't hurt if the plow guy is the nephew of your next door neighbor either. Typically the plow guys are a set of dumb and dumber where the dumb own the equipment and get the 'phone calls and dumber are the ski bums who haven't worked out that plowing gigs means going to work on powder days. Early season sets the expectations. As does gratuitous bribes of beer.

Typically it's a good idea for a few neighbors to use the same plow guy. Then it's an easy pass for him. Doesn't hurt if the plow guy is the nephew of your next door neighbor either. Typically the plow guys are a set of dumb and dumber where the dumb own the equipment and get the 'phone calls and dumber are the ski bums who haven't worked out that plowing gigs means going to work on powder days. Early season sets the expectations. As does gratuitous bribes of beer.
    I think this guy is dumber than dumb who owns the truck and does the plowing. What I believe happened is he undercut everyone elses price and ended up with more business than he could handle with just one truck. If I had known he only had one truck, I probably wouldn't have hired him in the 1st place.

I would rather pay the guy with the fleet of front end loaders a bit more than have to bribe some dumb ass with beer every time it snows. We did get walloped with snow followed by heavy rain, so I can see why everyone is swamped, but staying in touch with your customers is paramount to retaining them.

Having lived in the mountains for a while now, your logic sucks. Business is business--I expect the same service here as I do in the city. If someone isn't doing their job, I fire them and get the next person who will. It's not personal or "uncool"...it's reality.

Personally I shovel my small driveway. If I need a bobcat to clear the street plow pile, I'll flag one down and offer him a sixer and they're more than happy to do it, usually. But offering beer on top of their fees just to do their job because we're in the mountains?
    "All God does is watch us and kill us when we get boring. We must never, ever be boring."

Here's a thought;

powder11 (pic by leelau):

vs.

I know, it's a tough one. I personally would rather be hand-plowing my driveway than skiing powder, as I'm sure most of us would. powder11 is clearly just an irresponsible nutjob.

I can always use the snowblower after I get back from the hill!
    Quote Originally Posted by Conundrum View Post
    I'm the most extreme skier in my office. I'll see your III and raise you one level of radness.

The most I've ever had to shovel to get my car out on a pow day is like five minutes.

Do you guys have a driveway halfway up fucking Targhee or something?

Quote Originally Posted by boarddad View Post
    Here's a thought;
    I blew up a $750 snowblower last year. The engine is toast. I spent 1/2 the time wrenching the stupid thing. A decent snowblower (one thats going to last and not take as much time as shoveling) will cost me 4 times as much as a plow contract ($500). I also have no place to store a big snowblower and some vagrant would end up stealing it. My driveway is a big rectangle (30ft X 60ft) and it takes a good hour to shovel properly . The last 4 seasons I've shoveled/snowblown at least 25 days on average. Trust me, its worth every penny each time to not deal with it.

BLOOD SWEAT STEEL Guest
    "If you want something done right...."