Page 13 of 16 FirstFirst ... 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 LastLast
    Quote Originally Posted by Vihren View Post
    What can I say.. just check out any random gallery on the website of BEFSA ( bulgarian extreme and freestyle skiing association).. basicly we are the only people that ski in the places you can see there...
    I simply must have a BEFSA t-shirt. please pm me if this is possible.

Quote Originally Posted by covert View Post
    I simply must have a BEFSA t-shirt. please pm me if this is possible.
    +1 BEFSA T please.

i have a few BEFSA tees from the last time we got drunk together with the BEFSAers. mine are not for sale, unfortunately. perhaps if there's enough interest i can get a batch of 20-30 tees across the pond and dispatch them from here.

pm me if interested.

I spent a lot of nights skiing at Wachusett back in the late 80's. I was all too aware of how much it sucked having been out west a few times. On the weekends I'd usually be up at Okemo or Waterville Valley. But being at wachusett week day nights running gates or just ripping around on man made ice sure beat sitting at home doing homework with my parents bitching about my shitty grades. I was stoked every day there. Even the snowboarders had fun (back when they were only allowed on the lower lift).

Quote Originally Posted by advres View Post
    Franklin was way too far from my town to go. I graduated from Jericho to Ward Hill (shrewsbury) and then to Wa-Wa. From Wa-Wa I went up north and never looked back (although I got comped a Wa-wa pass all through college for working at EB which I rode at least a few hours ~5 times a week). But there are tons of old school "hills" around these parts I think many massholes cut their teeth on which sucked in their own right but got us to love the sport we know today.
    Now I've got the Wachusett song stuck in my head. thanks a lot asshole.

Gotta love the one you're with!

Never had a bad day on snow!

Quote Originally Posted by icelanticskier View Post
    fixed it for ya^^^^^^^^^^^^
    Thanks I shouldn't generalize because of one asshole.

Table Mountain, North Battleford, Sask, Can (15 min up 30 secs down). I used to ski with my PE classes here as it was the closest thing second to skiing behind a pick-up truck in the area. As a teacher, I was almost banned from the hill for skiing in the trees. Apparently these were off-limits. I'm glad now that my classes get to go to Kicking Horse

hilltop ski area...

let me put it this way, I had an xc race in high school where we raced to the top of it, And it was an easy day out.
    Its not that I suck at spelling, its that I just don't care

Wolf ridge in NC I would say is the shittiest I've been to. Slowest lifts on the planet, horrible grooming, bad snowmaking, no line management, super crowded. basically a big shitty free for all. My worst day of skiing ever was at Cataloochee in NC one day a few years ago. It was 33 degrees all day and it pissed rain. By the time we left it had rained 2 inches. and we drove 3.5 hours for it.

Quote Originally Posted by goldenshowers View Post
    Table Mountain, North Battleford, Sask, Can (15 min up 30 secs down).
    beautiful place, fond memories. almost got my ticket "pulled" because I was skiing in the snowboard park (which, in 1998, was still snowboard-only).

Attachment 100326

^ I think you can see Saskatoon (200 km away) in this pic. Sickest park ever, although hockey skates would be more beneficial than skis on that ice.

Trollhaugen in Wisconsin. Pissing rain and the lifts are literally from 1973. Only like 200 vert and the shittiest park i have ever seen

Quote Originally Posted by Jer View Post
    Keep in mind I've never skied Wilmont or any of those places way down south, but my vote goes to Granite Peak (AKA Rib Mountain) in Wausau.
    Any natural snow is immedaitely blown into the next county by gale force winds lacerating the completely exposed runs. The bottom 1/3 is so flat that you can't turn. Hoards of gapers. Lift tickets are on par with most places out west. I can't say enough bad things about the place.
    Lots of Midwest resorts do that same thing: "We'll make the lift three times as long as the actual steep part of the hill in order to eke out another 40 feet of vertical." I'm looking at you, Cascade Mountain.

I've skied plenty of tiny Midwest bumps. Picking on them for having 200' vert is like picking on a short person for being short...we have to find places that are far worse than even their shitty terrain would indicate.

My vote: Wilmot is the worst, mainly because it's closest to Chicago. If you want to wait in line to ski 200', get run into on the hill, and have your skis stolen at lunch, it's where you go. Seriously...it's like a shittier Alpine Valley, which shouldn't even be possible.

probably the hart highlands in prince george, BC. About 120 of verticle, a rope tow and a t-bar, but it was still fun cause i was a kid, and i got to ski from my cousins house down the road to the lift.

The most disappointing was Kimberley, BC. It was my first time skiing in the rockies and I was expecting there to be huge terrain and it ended up being one of the flattest places i've skied. I wouldn't say it's a terrible hill, i was just expecting something different

Quote Originally Posted by ride_pow View Post
    Not at all bro. It just means I am not disappointed much. Besides MT (Big Mtn, Bridger, and Big Sky) I have skied at Jackson Hole, Steamboat, Fernie, Kicking Horse, Kirkwood, Sierra at Tahoe, Squaw, and MHM.

MHM sucks. I spent several days "wading" through the parking lots to the lifts just to wait in line. BS. If this is your idea of good YOU owe it to yourself to get out more.

Sorry you were doing it wrong.
    Training for Alpental

Quote Originally Posted by ak_powder_monkey View Post
    hilltop ski area...

let me put it this way, I had an xc race in high school where we raced to the top of it, And it was an easy day out.
    dude, the spencer loop was no joke. when i moved away from Ak they were thinking about expanding hilltop and wiping it out... i don't know if that ever happened. but yeah either way, hilltop sucks. i can't tell you how many times i had grease dripped on me from a lift tower.

but birch hill in fairbanks makes hilltop look like alyeska. worse terrain park features, even slower lift, and it's usually like -40 degrees.

anyone else on here skied Otis Ridge?

this really teeny place in the berkshires... near Butternut, but less extreme!

i did a 2 week long sleepaway ski camp at otis ridge when I was a kiddo. thought it was TEH SHIT!!!!!!

I took a ski class in college and I got credits for skiing this little mountain every Tuesday night. The foreign exchange chick from Austria in the class was $

http://www.nelsap.org/ma/mttom.html

The very worst turns of my life have been on the way out of the bottom of some of the best runs of my life. I'm talking awesome corn on awesome mountains with some shitty bushwacking through slush and scrub below.

The worst ski area I've ever skied is probably somewhere like Powderhorn. Maybe Schweitzer or Sunlight, or Howellson Hill perhaps. They aren't great but none of these really suck. Maybe all things considered Purgatory qualifies as shitty, although I did have my first DH race there, which was flat for a downhill but still not shitty.

I'm fucking spoiled.
    __________________________________________________ __________________________________________________ ________________
    "We don't need predator control, we need whiner control. Anyone who complains that "the gummint oughta do sumpin" about the wolves and coyotes should be darted, caged, and released in a more suitable habitat for them, like the middle of Manhattan." - Spats

"I'm constantly doing things I can't do. Thats how I get to do them." - Pablo Picasso

Cisco and his wife are fragile idiots who breed morons.

Quote Originally Posted by FlakeintheWasatch View Post
    Bowls to Puff on a Day of skiing = [(4,500' - Home Mtn. Vert.)/400]
    hahahaha amazing, so.... about 10 per night of skiing. I guess night skiing is nice at least as I'll get to ski as much as I want to.

Keep in mind I've never skied Wilmont or any of those places way down south, but my vote goes to Granite Peak (AKA Rib Mountain) in Wausau.
    Any natural snow is immedaitely blown into the next county by gale force winds lacerating the completely exposed runs. The bottom 1/3 is so flat that you can't turn. Hoards of gapers. Lift tickets are on par with most places out west. I can't say enough bad things about the place.
    This is true, that place is so exposed.... sure it has vertical (for WI, people... take it easy) but it's fucking worthless. I did get my GF to snowboard down the "double blacks" there though after we burned a bowl... it was her first double black (insert joke here...) so she was happy/proud at least.

Quote Originally Posted by BeanDip4All View Post
    anyone else on here skied Otis Ridge?

this really teeny place in the berkshires... near Butternut, but less extreme!

i did a 2 week long sleepaway ski camp at otis ridge when I was a kiddo. thought it was TEH SHIT!!!!!!

Lol... YES. Makes Bousquet look like fkn Big Sky hahahahahahaha gotta love it when you give the disclaimer "like Butternut, but less gnar".

I heard water doesn't even run off of Otis Ridge
    "If you limit your choices only to what seems possible or reasonable, you disconnect yourself from what you truly want, and all that is left is a compromise." -Robert Fritz

Quote Originally Posted by skifishbum View Post
    not enough nun fisters in that community

Quote Originally Posted by PhiberAwptik View Post
    Sorry you were doing it wrong.

None the less... it was the shittiest place I have ever skied.

Puddles in the parking lot and rain over half way up the mountain make for a bad day. Skiing in the rain sucks. You can't argue that. Large crowds because it is next to a metro area make for a worse day. Don't even get me started on the 2004/2005 season (the last I spent in Oregon). I had no control over this shit.

Before moving to Oregon I had high expectations because of the coverage Mt. Hood gets. It did not live up to any of my expectations.
    Last edited by ride_pow; 09-19-2011 at 06:06 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by akrdubbs View Post
    Canaan Valley Resort, West Virginia. Best and worst part were the busloads of kids from Tennessee or some similar Godforsaken place that had never even seen snow before. But seriously - all the snow was man-made and it took 5 times as long to get up as it did to get down.
    The mountain does suck, but it gets some good snow when you hit it right. You evidently didn't.

For me, it was my home mountain growing up. Great Bear Ski Valley in Sioux Falls, SD. The awesome thing is that everything I've skied since has been worthwhile, no matter how shitty!

http://www.greatbearpark.com/_files/...rail%20Map.gif