Page 1 of 6 1 2 3 4 5 6 LastLast

Where would you move if you were me, and why?

So, I am in my final year here at CU, and realized the other day that I just really need to move somewhere new.

Most of my friends here are either moving home after they graduate or moving elsewhere, and this town really has nothing to offer me anymore.

I am just really getting sick of the bubble. Sure, great weather here in the summer, but lack of access to great, consistent and STABLE terrain is really starting to suck. I always assumed I would move back up to Summit, since I know the area and have great friends up there, but now I realize that I need to go somewhere new while I am still young and my body can handle rowdier terrain.

My other addiction besides skiing is live music as many of you know. I got to about 40-50 shows a year on average, thus why I live here in Boulder. As much as it would be beautiful I can't see myself moving to some place in bumfuck MT where at most I would see some 3rd rate bluegrass bands in the local bar.

So, with that in mind it seems like Tahoe/Truckee would be a logical choice cause of the obvious terrain, stable snow, and relative proximity to SF where I have some old friends who go to alot of shows in the area.

But, what the hell do I know?

seattle has a decent music scene.
    Quote Originally Posted by twodogs View Post
    Hey Phill, why don't you post your tax returns, here on TGR, asshole. And your birth certificate.

i would second seattle. went to a show down here (in jackson) last night, wasn't too horrible. but still not as good as you will get at a bigger city. even bozeman or missoula. zoo town has some pretty good bands, close skiing, close to the pnw, close to really everything.
    backcountry makes my wee wee tingle...
    "What was once a mighty river. Now a ghost." Edward Abbey
    Quote Originally Posted by rideit View Post
    It's not wyoming...it's Jackson.
    Different rules apply.
    My Adventures

"Feeling good is good enough."

well, everyone else (including me) is moving to bozeman, but you had to break out the "B" word.
    No longer stuck.

Quote Originally Posted by stuckathuntermtn View Post
    Just an uneducated guess.

Vegas and Athens, GA

Gary, Indiana.
    Forum Cross Pollinator, gratuitously strident

Austin, TX
    they have that indoor ski area too. I mean that's pretty consistent snow.

Try portland oregon.

I'm in the same situation. I've been thinking about moving to mammoth, but it seems like the snow takes quite awhile to get rolling down there. On the other hand, there is surfing.

Like others have said probably your best bet is Seattle for the music/ski combo. I would definitley put PNW above colorado any day for snow-even if it does rain from time to time. Downside is the sun doesn't come out to often which after your time spent in CO you will definitely notice. Other than that Tahoe/Truckee/Reno area. Good musice randomly shows up in Reno/Tahoe and SF is 3 hours away. Kirkwood is the mountain/elevation you need for reliable snow around those parts-just sayin. Personally I think you should move to the best place to ski and plan on summer touring to get all your shows in.

Quote Originally Posted by easyrdr View Post
    Like others have said probably your best bet is Seattle for the music/ski combo. I would definitley put PNW above colorado any day for snow-even if it does rain from time to time. Downside is the sun doesn't come out to often which after your time spent in CO you will definitely notice. Other than that Tahoe/Truckee/Reno area. Good musice randomly shows up in Reno/Tahoe and SF is 3 hours away. Kirkwood is the mountain/elevation you need for reliable snow around those parts-just sayin. Personally I think you should move to the best place to ski and plan on summer touring to get all your shows in.
    Guess, you are right about summer touring, but if I am gonna try to bum it in the winter I will need to work my sack off in the summer.

if I was just getting out of school I would look hard at Reno. Sierras, University, the downtown is getting cooler, decent sized but not too big, good weather and sunshine like you are used to in Boulder.

that is assuming that you are not considering a move north of the boarder in which case I would move to Nelson, BC. I am thinking the music scene leaves a little something to be desired there...

move somwhere where you can learn how to ski.

Nelson has looked like a cool option. Do any women live there though?

Quote Originally Posted by damn texan View Post
    I'm in the same situation. I've been thinking about moving to mammoth, but it seems like the snow takes quite awhile to get rolling down there. On the other hand, there is surfing.
    Man, I often have this thought too. Mammoth is my local mtn (6 hours from San Diego), but I live 5 blocks from the beach and love to surf too, but the 6 hour drive gets old 10 times a season.
    If surf wasn't an issue, which for you it isn't, anywhere east of the bay area would work for me. Housing prices have come way down, should be lots of work in the SF or Sacramento areas and a 2-3 hours to Tahoe? Hell, if your education will get you work in Tahoe, that would be great, but buying a home might be steep, I am not sure.
    Again, if surf didn't matter, I wanted to move to SLC. I found a neighborhood called Mt Olympus I liked that was close to LCC and BCC. The wife told me to get a grip on my mid life skiing crisis I don't know if the music scene is happening in SLC though.
    Quote Originally Posted by leroy jenkins View Post
    I think you'd have an easier time understanding people if you remembered that 80% of them are fucking morons.
    That is why I like dogs, more than most people.

Surfing is not an issue, and I like the beach as much as the next guy, but grew up spending alot of time near/on the ocean so I don't crave it like people from Ohio and shit.

I am graduating with a degree in film, so its pretty much useless in any "real" world application anyway.

Quote Originally Posted by MOHSHSIHd View Post
    Nelson has looked like a cool option. Do any women live there though?
    not sure. I have just been there to ski. It seemed like there was a fair number of earthy hotties, but if you live in Boulder right now and go to CU then I am guessing by your definition, no.

Quote Originally Posted by Harv View Post
    not sure. I have just been there to ski. It seemed like there was a fair number of earthy hotties, but if you live in Boulder right now and go to CU then I am guessing by your definition, no.
    Ha.

I dig earthy hotties over the soulless husband hunting sorostitutes in this town.

Quote Originally Posted by liv2ski View Post
    Man, I often have this thought too. Mammoth is my local mtn (6 hours from San Diego), but I live 5 blocks from the beach and love to surf too, but the 6 hour drive gets old 10 times a season.
    If surf wasn't an issue, which for you it isn't, anywhere east of the bay area would work for me. Housing prices have come way down, should be lots of work in the SF or Sacramento areas and a 2-3 hours to Tahoe? Hell, if your education will get you work in Tahoe, that would be great, but buying a home might be steep, I am not sure.
    Again, if surf didn't matter, I wanted to move to SLC. I found a neighborhood called Mt Olympus I liked that was close to LCC and BCC. The wife told me to get a grip on my mid life skiing crisis I don't know if the music scene is happening in SLC though.
    word. I am getting a degree in construction so hopefully I can just go wherever. This summer I scored an internship that gives me free housing in Seal Beach, CA. So I will get a taste of life living in SoCal. I really think living in NorCal would be better because bigger waves and closer mountains.

Sorry for hijacking your thread mr. phish, this is just something I spend like hours a day considering.

No worries texan. I figure there are many other people in my same position who can benefit from this thread.

I dig earthy hotties over the soulless husband hunting sorostitutes in this town.
    POTD

That was good...

SLC seems like it has some great skiing options. But I also dig culture. I don't think I'd catch very many independent film showings or punk shows there. If I went out to the bar and got so wasted I had to stumble up to some random person on the street and ask them to explain to my ride where the fuck I was at, they'd just end up calling the cops or running away.

I could never live in SLC.

Quote Originally Posted by liv2ski View Post
    I don't know if the music scene is happening in SLC though.
    I go to live shows all the time. We mostly get indie bands on tour from the Portland and Seattle areas or bands stopping between Denver and SF. There's also two cool indie movie theaters downtown. But shhhhhhh, my favorite part of the SLC live music scene is the venues are small and the crowds are nonexistent.

highly recommend MT.
    ROLL TIDE ROLL

Yeah, I don't really listen to indie.

Mostly jazz, funk, and "jam bands" (ie. The Disco Biscuits, Umphrey's McGee, Karl Denson, etc)

Since these bands tend to have pretty scary tour-rat follwings they don't play shows in UT cause their fans are too scared to enter that state unless they are forced too....

I think the last Phish show in UT in 2003 had like 4000 people in attendence when anywhere else they draw nearly 10 times that many people....