Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 1 2 3 LastLast

Thread: Big Wednesday?

6'x10" lots a duck diving and strong current. Bring big enough to paddle but small enough to dive. Have fun

FKNA, it's pumping here now. The point in front of my office that only works a couple times a year looks pretty damn fun. From here Rincon is looking a lot more juicy then the lunch hour as well. Days like this make me wonder how I ever ended up in an office of any sort. I imagine watching pow get slayed from an office window sucks just as bad.

Quote Originally Posted by Alkasquawlik View Post
    Most likely. I just checked it and it was closing out. I ended up paddling out to first peak, got four waves and got out at the pier in Capitola. Got one bomb that was worth the two+ mile walk back to my house.
    No harbor jetty for you? I imagine there were a couple guys out there today.

Big buoy increases this afternoon.

Harvest - 3:50 - 21.3 ft swell height - 18s interval (direction is 270)
    SB West Channel Buoy 4:00 pm - 18.7ft swell height - 20s interval
    SB East Channel Buoy 3:50pm - 11.3ft swell height - 19s interval

Each of these buoy went up about 20% from reading at 1pm.

Let's just hope everyone that tried to cram in a late afternoon session makes it in okay.

Oh, by Goleta pier. There was some dingy type boat at anchor about 20 yards from shore. I watched the boat get capsized by the shore pound.

no, harbor mouth ended up not being that great. Watched it for about a half hour pondering it, but it was jacking up and then mushing out immediately. I saw tons of air drops but no barrels. And no one was taking off behind the jacks. It was pretty much impossible to make the drop and deal with the 6 foot back wash from behind the jacks.
    It was pretty much too big and too bumpy for many of the spots today. I managed to get one bomb at 1st peak and I was sated.

How did Rincon end up being? I had a few buddies that misshed it down there this morning.

Confirmed.http://www.montereyherald.com/breaki...nclick_check=1
    Guy was a Big Sur legend....
    Sad. Be careful out there.

where'd ya surf OT?

Hugh Conway Guest
    The sentinel has a few pictures of the Harbour
    http://www.santacruzsentinel.com/sto...orySection=Top
    and stories of several "evacuations"?

Worked until dark today - stuck at the office. And it looks like I am not getting in tomorrow. My wife is teacher of the year - so we go to the honorary dinner in Salinas... Hoping to get up north on Thursday morning. The harbor shot in the Sentinel link makes it look nice. Heard word of a the good session at Mavricks this afternoon - calling it glassy.

Quote Originally Posted by Ottime View Post
    Worked until dark today - stuck at the office. And it looks like I am not getting in tomorrow. My wife is teacher of the year - so we go to the honorary dinner in Salinas... Hoping to get up north on Thursday morning. The harbor shot in the Sentinel link makes it look nice. Heard word of a the good session at Mavricks this afternoon - calling it glassy.
    Shittay. I heard that Mavs glassed off too. Yeah, that's one good shot of the Harbs but that's a fucking minuscule wave compared to the rest. I think the only way to have gotten a shack out there was to take 10 on the head and wait for a small one. Oh well, tomorrow should be real good. Hopefully it cleans up a bit.

Tomorrow's going down like Chinatown. If it cleans up, I got my 7'6" waxed, big wave leashed boughted, and hoping that OB turns on.

((Edit - ALKA!!! You heading out tomorrow? If it's shit here or not handling I'll check in w/ you if you've checked the spots down your way)

With all due respect to the departed, this is fucked up. RIP, Big-wave hellman.

http://surfermag.com/features/online...vi-ghost-tree/

"In the mid-morning, Davi, who was paddling into the waves, broke his leash and began swimming in. One tow team offered Davi a ride in but the surfer refused. Another tow team offered Davi a PFD but again Davi refused according to Curry.

Later in the afternoon Santa Cruz surfers Anthony Ruffo and Osh Bartlett came across Davi's lifeless body floating in a kelp patch"

Why the fuck would anyone refuse a ride from two people who could have saved your life?
    Last edited by Superstar Punani; 12-05-2007 at 12:33 AM.

Total bummer about Davi. I guess he felt like he could handle it. It's definitely a trait of surfers to be wholly independent and self-sufficient. RIP.

Pu- I'm gonna crack it tomorrow a.m. so check in if it's not happening at OB. But I've got class at noon then a flight to Utah immediately after, so no afternoon surfing for me.

Those pics of OB today?

Still pumping down here. Just got back from the Goleta pier. The sheriff showed up almost as soon as we got there and gave everyone on the pier the das boot. It was shaking pretty well with whitewater coming through the top. This beach is always complete flat, except for the occasional juicy swell.

Tomorrow I'm going for the evening glass-off at a place I can hopefully handle... Bo! See all you punters there thursday morning too.

Shitty news about Davi. Respect... and vibes.
    Putting the "core" in corporate, one turn at a time.

Metalmücil 2010 - 2013 "Go Home" album is now a free download

The Bonin Petrels

How did Rincon end up being? I had a few buddies that misshed it down there this morning.
    Swell filled in throughout the morning, headed down during my lunchbreak, packed lineup as usual and not all that great. From what I could tell from a distance it looked like it may have come together for the late afternoon/twilight, but I couldn't escape to find out for sure.

Goleta Pier did NOT look like that at 3pm.

Buoy look like are topped out. I'm going to be very wary today.

Quote Originally Posted by tarkman1 View Post
    Goleta Pier did NOT look like that at 3pm.

Buoy look like are topped out. I'm going to be very wary today.
    I don't think I've ever seen it like it was last night. On the bigger sets water was making it into the parking lot. Probably was a good idea to shut down the pier, the amount it would shake on the big sets was pretty sketch.

Not looking all that clean in the Carp/Rincon area this morning, but it's hard to even really tell right now with the glare + spray combo.

Get out there if you can. It's looking pretty damn good out the window here in Carp.

I'm resting up for another session. Campus Point this morning was the same size as yesterday afternoon. Yesterday was probably cleaner and longer interval on the waves. Still, many many good rides witnessed today. I upped my wave count, but basically I was shoulder hopping.

From today. A spot with not 300+ people out.

Last edited by Pura Vida; 12-05-2007 at 09:44 PM.

I have been watching it all day down here in San Diego. I work at point Loma so I have a good view. This morning was pretty much out of control with no one out at the usual boat spots (couldnt handle the size) . I did watch two guys towing-in right in front of the treatment plant. They caught a few big shoulders but nothing outstanding.
    Leaving here at 3:30 pm. A swing by the Cliffs will tell me if Im going out.
    It does look like it has dropped this afternoon. Not so out of control looking now

Got out at a point north Malibu. I would say it was mostly 8-10 foot but occasional bigger sets in the 12 ft + range that were mostly going unridden.

At 6:30am nothing was happening. Too much water, tide too high, but it didn't look all that great or even that big. About 10 guys looked to be out at the next break S, so we decided to suit up and ride one of them. Paddle out at the first spot and it was looking better. Had a good run of prolly 8-10 footers from 7:30 till 8:30 then a lull with all kinds of weird chop, warble, etc cruised through for the next 20 minutes or so. People were struggling to get into the waves and generally trying to find the right spot so a lot waves were going unridden. Instead of the sizeable walls I was expecting it turned out to be a little more like a drop followed by soft shoulder. As the tide dropped the inside section was starting to think about working. As we hit the beach around 9am a big rogue set came through way outside. It was more like what I was expecting, but gotta say it actually worked out fine. Only took one on the head, had a bunch of fun rides, and everyone was stoked.

Good fun, but not epic which seemed to be the report from most spots. Gotta say Topanga looked freakin epic on the return journey. Crowded, not giant prolly overhead but not DOH, but really excellent shape.
    He who has the most fun wins!

Just got back from driving from Malibu down PCH - and boy, just want to say that it's a beautiful sight. Set after set lined up all along the coast. Really awe-inspiring.

Have fun out there.