Fritschi on B-Squads??

I'm considering mounting some Fritschi Freeride Plus (the black ones) on a pair of Rossignol B-Squad. The skis are 184cm which are not as burly as the 189 and 19?cm versions.

Anybody out there who has experience with this pairing? Obviously it wouldn't be the lightest set-up around but I'm more curious about downhill performance.

I'm in Washington state so the snow will be on the heavier side much of the time.

Cheers.

good question, the downhill performance of freerides has never been covered here before
    ‎Preserving farness, nearness presences nearness in nearing that farness

I already use the Fritschis on other skis so well acquainted with them.

Looking specifically for feedback on the Fritschi - BSquad combo ... if anyone on the forum has tried it.

I think that the B squad might have been talked about too?

maybe just read both threads and add up the info?

What's this "fritchi" you talk about? Is that some earlier prototype of the modern duke binding, do they still even exist?

I knew a guy who absolutely ripped on this setup. Might have been the older freerides but he seemed to have no problem throwing them around. Then again, he was pretty burl (200+lbs, 6' 5") and shouldn't have had a problem throwing the setup around. Might want to reconsider if you're a smaller guy or plan on doing multi-day skinning tours.
    Quote Originally Posted by Divebomber View Post
    OR sign it with a fake sig, then later they say "we have your sig!" NO you dont!

I feel like fritschis might not be enough for the squads. I do have 189's however I don't know how much softer 184's are. I also see squads as a hucking device, fritschis will huck to a point but when you get up into the 15-20 foot range I feel like they are at their limit. I'm also not sure how happy you are going to be doing high speed runouts with fritschis. I'm putting dukes on my 189 squads, it will be excellent.
    Alcohol Caffeine Taurine Hybrid
    If it can be done it can be won

Without a chainsaw silviculture is just a theory

first of all, welcome jong. second, even the 184 can be tough to throw around. not sure if i would trust a fritschi to hold up.

Will it work? - yes.
    Is it optimal? - no.
    Why? Too much play.

So..........
    Should you get the Dukes instead? Without Doubt.
    Would Dynafits be better than the Freerides? Maybe - you loose 2 DIN but gain a better interface between you and the ski. Are you skiing the Freerides at 11 or 12?
    It was all a whirlwind; freeze and flash.
    Within a week we had grabbed our skis and hit the road.

(nothing... a little powder, a little blood.)

Forrestjon skied 189 squads with freerides...
    Life, Liberty and the Pursuit of Powder

Thanks all for your input.

I was planning on using them more as a wide-assed ripping machines than a hucking device so if the gear can survive a 15-20' drop I'm cool ;-).

I'm 5'11'' and 190lbs so confident that I can manage the boards.

The "play" that jrosendahl mentioned is definitely what concerns me the most... Dynafits is a good idea but I'm limited by boots (Endorphins)

if you want to use them as "wide ass ripping machines", go with dukes. i skied 184 squads and scott p4s last year, with frits on the p4s for less than a day. felt like the frits would blow out ripping on the p4s. no way would have put the frits on the squads. FYI, im only 5'7 150lbs.

these sticks are heavy and ask to run at mach >11. Dukes are certainly a much more reasonable choice

don't mount them with fritsches.

I assume you're asking because you've never ridden fritsches. (perhaps a lame assumption.)

Nonetheless, fritsches don't huck. Every time I air, I have to focus on not blowing out of my bindings. More like 5-10 is okay. Above ten feet and I'm thinking about them while I'm settting up for my landing.

(I ride fritsches FR +'s on 183 first gen goats. Much softer than the 84 squad, AFAIK. I'm 5'9", 170, and go fast.)

I won't buy another pair of fritsches for any resort/side-country ski.

forest Guest
    I had 189s with FRides and it worked fine. Don't really know what you are asking though. Squad is acutally a light ski for the size. I thought they were good touring skis when you were in the open and skiing. Tight coastal ski outs, trees, etc. were not so much fun on the squads though.

Quote Originally Posted by forestjon View Post
    I had 189s with FRides and it worked fine. Don't really know what you are asking though. Squad is acutally a light ski for the size. I thought they were good touring skis when you were in the open and skiing. Tight coastal ski outs, trees, etc. were not so much fun on the squads though.
    forestjon,

Well, to date I've only used the Fritschis on skis not quite as stiff or wide as the Squads so I was curious if anyone had any good/bad experiences with the specific setup.

Based the other responses it sounds to me like a lot of the most serious issues people have are with the Freerides specifically, and are hucking related (which I don't do much of). Other people I've talked to have given the Squads thumbs up for b/c touring - much like yourself.

Yeah I figured the Squads won't be the best in tight trees. Maybe I should invest in a helmet with a face guard?

Cheers.

Quote Originally Posted by addict View Post
    What's this "fritchi" you talk about? Is that some earlier prototype of the modern duke binding, do they still even exist?

Outdated? Maybe, but they were the only thing left me by my grandfather, Baron Von Zellamkitzbuhelschutzebergrodel, who recently passed away in a tragic Glühwein "incident". Wanted to honor him.

I ski 189 squads through the trees at stowe for most of the winter. The only time they try to kill you is when you ski really tight stuff on harder snow. It is one hell of a workout however. Whenever I go out west I come back out of shape to ski them through the real trees again.
    Hucking or not I still really question the tortionally rigidity of the fritschis being able to drive such a strong and somewhat wide ski.
    Alcohol Caffeine Taurine Hybrid
    If it can be done it can be won

Without a chainsaw silviculture is just a theory

Do it. Freerides are fine. Don't let the professional skiers around these parts freak you out. Freerides are beefy enough for whatever you need to do in the backcountry.
    Brandine: Now Cletus, if I catch you with pig lipstick on your collar one more time you ain't gonna be allowed to sleep in the barn no more!
    Cletus: Duly noted.

.................................................. ..............DYNAFIT............................. ..........
    Quote Originally Posted by TWINS View Post
    I love it when shitweasels get there panties all in a bunch.

Right now a few shops in Whistler are selling this Rossi package deal, rossi branded nx21s and the 184 squad for $950. This is about $100 more than what the skis and bindings cost wholesale if bought seperately. If you haven't bought anything yet, you should see if any shops in your area have this deal. I can't comment on the freeride+'s, but so far so good with the nx21s. Any slop is hardly noticeable. I'm 5'7 150lbs fwiw.

forest Guest
    I'd say any issues you would have are with the way that freerides ski compared to alpine bindings. You might feel the lateral play a bit more on a really stiff ski like the squad but I doubt thats much of a difference. I've got FR+ these days and ski them all the time everywhere (haven't skied anything but FR for 4 years so I can't say if it really matters) and they ski fine to me. Everyone seems to have a different opinion though.

I mounted my 189 squads with fr+ last year. it's a solid setup. that was my first time on those binders. the one and only complaint i have is the extra lift of the binder. the ski is great. i'm going to alpine binders on them this year, and use the fr+ somewhere else. i have new jp vs julien from this year and rossi sprayer bc's from a few years back. both never mounted, both a softer ski.
    I sleep really well after working with p-tex in the evening. But, all the next day my eyelids and the skin between my thumbs and fingers twitch alot.