Thumbs up Kirkweed Opening Day

...from the archives 4 years ago.
    (Fuck, have I been wearing the same fucking jacket all this time? I feel like a goddamn cartoon character).
    ---------------------------

"OOOOOORRRRRRGGGGGHHHHHRRRGHHH!!!!"

"WHOOOOOOOOOOOO!!!!!!!"

"yyyyyyyyYYYYEAAAAAHHHHH!!!"

"FUCKIN' SWEEEEEET!!!!!!"

Screams of joy echoed throughout the parking lot. It was Kirkweed's opening day with midwinter powpow conditions.

Big fat light dry flakes were falling, chairs were turning and crowds were nonexistent. My longest wait for a chair today took all of 2 seconds.

The maggots were everywhere at first- some in the office stuck in the pass line, others getting some- no, make that a lot off Sentinel Bowl and Monty's. Pow pow was untracked, rocks clearly visible and legs were burning after two runs.

10am- a squirm of maggots met up at chair 6. Me, Sobchak, Arty, Spatters, Tyrone, skier666, Legoskier, OffAxis, the new guy (Brad- forgot his maggot name) , lph, Britney and BC-FLOW, with some random appearances by tcohee, SSSDave, NSANA and Ahnold. Shit, did I leave anyone out? First few runs were asshauling pow speed runs down Sentinel, exploring through the trees for knee deep fresh, trying to gauge the rock situation.

2nd run as a group- skier 666 steps it up a notch and drops a sweet line through ski school chute by little Jims. Perfect runout, more exploration in the trees...found a shitload of good light knee deep stashes OOORRRGGGGHHHHHH!!!!! down to the gullies and trees, back to 6.

Next run everyone's hitting the chute. Drop in, turn, mach at the bottom and speed burn thru the powder. With a crew of 10+ maggots shit got tracked up pretty fast,. 666 billygoats a hairy line, then once again everyone disappears in the trees, heard yet unseen. Hoots of stoke and maniacal laughter echoed down chamoix, oops and poops and the gullies and tree runs, punctuated by "ROCK!!!", "AH SHIT! CORE SHOT!!" , "*crunch* FUUUUUCK!!!"

(Pic: Shoe laughs at Arty as Arty looks for his ski. Meanwhile 666 and Spatters look from above. 666 billygoated the rockline.

All the runs blurred together. The powder was eaten up and we'd meet at 6 to do it all over again. The best stashes were the ones that had hungry sharks lurking beneath the surface, eagerly waiting the chance to chomp a bite out of your skis, but it was totally worth it.

As with opening days, the crew dispersed around lunchtime. some off to the bar, others on a food mission. The breakaway crew who insisted on skiing were me, skier666 and spatters- the Three Stooges, if you will, with an unhealthy disregard for the base of their skis. After a final speed run through the tracked-out ski school chute we decided to go exploring.

(You maggots who had lunch then spent the day lapping up 5- you may want to stop reading now )

---------------------------------------------------------

2pm-4pm All-you-can-ski Powder Buffet

Skier666 led the way, ducking through trees and sniffing out the untracked.

We found an untracked steep face at [CENSORED]. He drops in, then I traverse to the untouched section, and ripped the shit out of a steep pow line, billowing smoke, face shots. Spatters went off to the trees and scored good shit too. At the bottom we're all salivating for more. It was after lunch and the mountain was all ours. OURS! Did you hear me? OURS!!! ALL OURSS!!! MOO-HOOOHAHAHAHAHAHAHA!

(Pic: Kirkweed Chair 6 after lunchtime)

Each run was more adventurous than before. We'd recon different lines, get whole runs of untracked knee deep light fresh without any rocks then do it all over again.

(Pic: Skier666 takes us to the goods)

I lost count of how many perfect runs we've had. It felt like we were the only 3 people left in the entire planet and all that mattered was getting our fix.

Each run was better than the one before as we discovered longer better stashes. What surprised me is that having skied Kirkwood for 8 years, I didn't know this stash existed. It was like finding buried treasure. The entry was totally sketch with narrow tree lines, sharp turns and rocks. That was the hardest part. It was well hidden, and we're going to hit that up again tomorrow.

666 found a huck, spatters and I chose a sharktooth infested entry, straightlined the first part then arced pow pow through the tree section.

We were tired, but we tapped into our untapped energy saved for powder days. Spatters said it the best: "It's like eating- you have a food stomach and a dessert stomacn...you always have energy for powder!"

3 o'clock went by. Each run brought us further out as we milked every last bit of fresh. 666 bailed. Me and Spatter hit it up again, but fatigue was setting in. The gnar access trail should not be skied tired. I ended up tucking through some sections, slamming into rocks and trees...but fuck it...must....ski....POW!

(Pic: Our stash)

3:45. Spatters is out. I am ready to collapse, but the lifts are still turning, and I know I can milk just one more....just one more. Like a junkie waiting for his next hit, I got on the chair one more time.

Last bit of energy for my last run. shoulder check...no one. Ducked a rope to ski the other side of the forbidden zone, hit the trees then straightlined the last section, maching through the trees trying to make as least amount of turns as possible and got more face shots and untracked. Raced the last bottom half against closing time but I got to 6 as Patrol closed it. "Sorry man! We'll see you tomorrow "

Found the guys at the bar. The shit eating grin on my face must have said it all, since they all looked at me with facial expressions that said "Shut up man! We don't want to hear about it!". Looks like Spatters already beat me to it.

this thread rings a bell

Goddamn you, Cohagen! Give these people snow!
    "I knew in an instant that the three dollars I had spent on wine would not go to waste."

Talking

ha! wow 4 years ago...and taken in mid-November.....

Funny how things have changed for many of us but also stayed the same.

The Kushlan's have both come and gone.

Schmear has come and gone.

My knee has been blown and repaired.

Arty has moved from the Bay to SLT to Reno and who knows where else.

Supu still gets sand in his vagina at the top of airs

Lph now has a sled and will only come to the Wood on midweek 3 foot powder day dumps

And that thread contains the first account of Kellie meeting the Kirkwood crew who is now killing it in AK.

And I think that thread has one of the first, if not the first, posts by skier666.

Wow...this gets me amped to ski chair 5 on Sunday...WOOHOOO

Right on Supu-tron, bring that stoke so Ullr will deliver, bring it, bring it!
    "Climb the mountains and get their good tidings. The winds will blow their freshness into you, and the storms, their energy. Your cares and tensions will drop away like the leaves of Autumn." --John Muir

"welcome to the hacienda, asshole." --s.p.c.

Hey - Race Course is over a half mile long! It is gonna rip!

Heh. I remember watching 666 take this rock line and I was thinking 'This guy is fucking nuts, who is he?'

Oh, and I went to LA and came back during the past 4 years. Nobody noticed [emo tears]

edit: ah, so that's why I don't remember this opening day weekend too well
    Last edited by DJSapp; 11-28-2007 at 12:35 PM.
    I've concluded that DJSapp was never DJSapp, and Not DJSapp is also not DJSapp, so that means he's telling the truth now and he was lying before.

gangsta' old school TR yo'

bklyn is offline who guards the guardians?
    Squawman deleted his posts, I'd guess he had a chance to rethink it all.
    Quote Originally Posted by bklyn View Post
    Why don't you STFUYFM?
    Did you ever bring anything to the board besides cut and paste articles from the newspaper? Loser.

All you do is copy, copy, copy.

Copy aliases, copy articles, copy everything. You'd get more respect here if you were even slightly original and funny. Be clever, dammit. SuPu is respected here for all the reasons you aren't.

I'm not insulted, those boys are fine.
    Last edited by bklyn; 11-28-2007 at 06:57 PM.
    I'm just a simple girl trying to make my way in the universe...
    I come up hard, baby but now I'm cool I didn't make it, sugar playin' by the rules
    If you know your history, then you would know where you coming from, then you wouldn't have to ask me, who the heck do I think I am.

damn, that was fun skiing and a fun party and yup that was the first time meeting kellie. I remember riding in splat's car and him handing me the phone so i could give her directions. good times.

chugging bottles of tequila, ugh. glad i just stayed with the flaming shots of sambuca, but i did end up with a burnt upper lip from letting kellie and britney light it.

that was a fun re-read - thanks PU! I remember that party - so fun. I didn't ski that day since my shoulder was in a sling .
    “Within this furnace of fear, my passion for life burns fiercely. I have consumed all evil. I have overcome my doubt. I am the fire.”

^ This is like opening a time capsule.

Going to KW before 6 is open is like going to a strip club to watch chicks pole dance wearing baggy sweatpants without makeup.

SuPu, biatch. I gots me a KW pass this year. See ya up there.

Quote Originally Posted by splat View Post
    SuPu, biatch. I gots me a KW pass this year. See ya up there.
    Sweet. See you 10 @ 10.

[flashback]...and don't eat the week's supply of shrooms in one sitting, Biatch! MOTHERFUCKER!!! BA-HAHAHAHAHAHAHA!!!![/flashback]

Quote Originally Posted by Superstar Punani View Post
    ^ This is like opening a time capsule.

Going to KW before 6 is open is like going to a strip club to watch chicks pole dance wearing baggy sweatpants without makeup.
    I dunno. I went last week, before 6 was open, and it was pretty fun. Besides, the reports from their FB page is that 5 is rockin today. See ya fools on the hill soon I suppose.

At the time of that post I had no children. Now I feel old. Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by Superstar Punani View Post

(Pic: Our stash)
    If this is where I think it is, it's getting skied and boarded frequently now. I remember many sweet days in there.

Quote Originally Posted by skier666 View Post
    At the time of that post I had no children. Now I feel old. Thanks
    I gotcha beat. I not only feel old, I am old!

wow. seems like a lifetime ago.
    "A man on foot, on horseback or on a bicycle will see more, feel more, enjoy more in one mile than the motorized tourists can in a hundred miles."
    — Edward Abbey (Desert Solitaire)

Shit man, I'm half dead now.

Aaaaaaand, I'm back in the Bay again.

Holy shit, I remember that crash too.
    "I knew in an instant that the three dollars I had spent on wine would not go to waste."

This pic is awesome...