Page 8 of 8 FirstFirst ... 3 4 5 6 7 8
    Quote Originally Posted by YourSupremeExcellency View Post
    This message is hidden because YourSupremeExcellency is on your ignore list.
    Eh?? What was that? Did you say something?

Man, I've got to go get that copy of Skiing. Leslie, he knows how to craft them words. Like scythes.
    == | slacktopia | ==
    http://twitch.tv/fugitivephilo
    still bangin' beats

That article is one of the better things to appear in SKIING mag!

What has happened to our dear Kristen? Have the teeth fallen out of her vagina or is she simply gumming those Zen Seekers for all they're worth?

... I threw up in my mouth a little bit while imagining what it would be like to be in that clinic. Nevertheless, it's a market and people are wanting to go to it, so all power to them; but I think they should include a colon cleansing, it'd be fitting.

Just a bump, because I heard Kristen on the radio yesterday. Sounds interesting, and she is in town.
    “How does it feel to be the greatest guitarist in the world? I don’t know, go ask Rory Gallagher”. — Jimi Hendrix

Bump as I've been having trouble managing fear as I get older. Every year I get more timid, every year chairlift rides bother me more. I want to get back to the guy I was 10 years ago that would ski anything. So, I tried to get into Kristen's fear camp that started today but it was sold out. So I signed up for next January's camp.

11 year bump.

Good for you, Bob, on taking action.

I saw her at Snowbird back at one of Gordy's camps.
    I think WhiteHunter's wife (or another maggot's wife) was attending Kristen's camp at the same time.

This was probably back in 2008-2010 timeframe.
    Aggressive in my own mind

She emailed me today at 3:30 and said she had two cancellations for the camp that started today. I left work and drove a bit over the speed limit to make to to Gold Miners Daughter by 4:00. The first evening was mainly her getting to know us in order to tailor the class to what we need from it. I hope this helps me get over some of my fears, so far it feels pretty good.

sounds like a good start...
    Aggressive in my own mind

Quote Originally Posted by BobMc View Post
    She emailed me today at 3:30 and said she had two cancellations for the camp that started today. I left work and drove a bit over the speed limit to make to to Gold Miners Daughter by 4:00. The first evening was mainly her getting to know us in order to tailor the class to what we need from it. I hope this helps me get over some of my fears, so far it feels pretty good.
    Dang man I'm stoked for you.

Very curious to hear what you think of the course. Sounds awesome!

Sent from my Pixel 4a (5G) using Tapatalk

Thats cool as shit Bob, have fun and keep us posted, would love to hear how it goes.

Heck yeah, Bob. Good on you for recognizing the issue and doing something about it. That already puts you ahead of a lot of people. I'll be interested to hear more about your experience. My wife has struggled getting back into skiing since she tore her ACL and this may be something that could help her.

Today was the last day of the class. We were on the snow yesterday and today. It really wasn’t about skiing but about a mindset of sorts. Going in I kinda had an idea but didn’t really understand it, I probably still don’t but I think that’s to be expected

She’s really fucking good at what she does, I will say that. She has a way of relating to each person and finding what they need and are struggling with.

I went into the camp wanting to conquer fear and become Bob of 15 years ago and get rid of my fears of the chairlift. The last few years I’ve become scared on lifts, at first putting down the bar helped and I was fine. The last month or so it’s become so bad I’ve been riding either the tram or Wilbere. I went to Deer Valley last Friday and told my buddy I didn’t want to ride Mayflower or Lady Morgan again that day.

I’ve ridden lifts my whole life, was never bothered by it, only lately has it become a problem.

She knew that my chairlift fear wasn’t the problem, but that I was suppressing fear in another part of my life and the chairlift fear was when fear knew it had me. It could manifest itself there and influence me.

As the day went on today I think some of the pebbles she’d given me were turning into diamonds. I think I’ve realized that I’ve been suppressing the fact that 15 year ago Bob isn’t coming back, my fear of that fact was manifesting itself as fear in chairlifts. If fear could get Bob to stop riding chairs or skiing he couldn’t or wouldn’t have to feel the fear of it not happening,

It’s pretty complicated and I’m still not figuring it all out. I’ve never been exposed to Zen or meditation at all, I kinda think I like it and it will open up different parts of my life.

I know that sounds kinda weird and extreme but I’m sitting here after an experience I didn’t really think I’d feel.

Anyways, I cried about five times down the canyon and will be processing this for a bit.

Bravo for being a man and tackling it head on. Fear is the mind killer.
    Is it radix panax notoginseng? - splat
    This is like hanging yourself but the rope breaks. - DTM
    Dude Listen to mtm. He's a marriage counselor at burning man. - subtle plague

Quote Originally Posted by MakersTeleMark View Post
    Bravo for being a man and tackling it head on. Fear is the mind killer.
    Thanks, I knew I had to do something. My life is tied up in skiing, I couldn’t go on any longer letting fear control me.

Her theory is a bit different, she doesn’t think fear is a mind killer, quite the opposite. She thinks fear is the best motivator and becoming intimate with it is the key to mental stability and access into the zone.

I’m not going to dissect her approach but I’m quite sure it works. I’ve discovered I have some things to work on.

Sweet Jesus Bob! We need to get you out climbing again VERY soon.

Very cool you found a way to work on dealing with this, it sounds like a frustrating fear to work around.

Did she recommended you keep using those green tinted goggles straps.

A LSD Steakhouse somewhere in the Wasatch
    fearlessly rockin pots gogs ftw
    "When the child was a child it waited patiently for the first snow and it still does"- Van "The Man" Morrison
    "I find I have already had my reward, in the doing of the thing" - Buzz Holmstrom
    "THIS IS WHAT WE DO"-AML -ski on in eternal peace
    "I have posted in here but haven't read it carefully with my trusty PoliAsshat antenna on."-DipshitDanno

Quote Originally Posted by Xover View Post
    Sweet Jesus Bob! We need to get you out climbing again VERY soon.
    Funny you should mention that M. When I moved out here I had those same feelings, I used climbing to get around them, my comfort zone had improved and I felt fine when I had a rope on.

26 seasons later and those fears are getting harder for me to fight. I have plenty of friends my age that continue to get better, I’ve gotten worse. My comfort zone has constricted and I need to work on enlarging it.

I signed up for Kristen’s monthly calls tonight. I’m going to keep working forward to accompany my fear and allow it to help me instead of hurting me.

FKNA, cool to hear about this.

I have also gradually grown more fearful of lifts, though I still ride them and not always with the bar down. But it is something that has arisen in the last few years, these little waves of panic attacks, so I can relate.
    "fuck off you asshat gaper shit for brains fucktard wanker." - Jesus Christ
    "She was tossing her bean salad with the vigor of a Drunken Pop princess so I walked out of the corner and said.... "need a hand?"" - Odin
    "everybody's got their hooks into you, fuck em....forge on motherfuckers, drag all those bitches across the goal line with you." - (not so) ill-advised strategy

Quote Originally Posted by Danno View Post
    FKNA, cool to hear about this.

I have also gradually grown more fearful of lifts, though I still ride them and not always with the bar down. But it is something that has arisen in the last few years, these little waves of panic attacks, so I can relate.
    It started pretty slow with me, it’s been a build up over the last several years. I also wonder whether my skiing habits over the last few years have contributed? My most frequent skiing partner began skiing with his son, we’ve been cruising groomers with him, not really challenging ourselves.

I feel as if my comfort zone has constricted, instead of expanding it a bit gradually I allowed it to go in the other direction. I wonder whether this shift and the resultant lack of fear in my skiing prompted my mind to make it up on stupid chairlift rides?

Still have a dent in my helmet from the Summit chair bar
    Good on ya Bob.