Page 6 of 7 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 LastLast
    Can someone clarify all this fucking hoopla that's been in the news about Mount Bohemia? Something with a request for promo money, and then Lonnie pulling out his request for said money? I can't make sense of it.

Here's some links to help the extra-uninitiated:

First: http://www.mininggazette.com/stories...rticleID=10614
    Then: http://www.mininggazette.com/stories...rticleID=10654

Also, a small, crappy video of Bohemia back in early January: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=GDod3EK_xfg

Quote Originally Posted by Jer View Post
    Yeah - powderpig77 should change his handle to powderpig88. I'll bet he has custom red buckles on his ski boots.
    good call

or maybe 77 is the new code for 88ers
    Quote Originally Posted by blurred
    skiing is hiking all day so that you can ski on shitty gear for 5 minutes.

hey , guys --

' got a bud headin'U.P. in two weeks --

how's the snow on the Kee , Please ?

is there a USGS website with accurate snowfall Info. ?

Thanks . ( look for 'Hans' ... ) J
    " ... I will do anything to go Skiing ... There Is no pride ... " (Miriam , 2005-2006 epic)

Dec21, 2016. LittleBigLost :
    " I think about it everyday. It is my reminder to live life to the fullest. I get up early, go to bed late, 'cuz I got shit to do. Like I said, I'm 61. Not going to wait till I'm 81 to do stuff, ...

Get out there and do stuff!

Enjoy life to the fullest!!

See you on the slopes! "

Will be heading up with two other guys and staying their from 7-9 Mar. Anyone going to be around? Jer?

I just got back from an assault on the Mountian of Madness (east of Bohemia). North aspects are nice - south aspects (like Crackcountry @ Bohemia) are suncrusted. I was at Bohemia Sat. and it was nice, but got completely tracked up, scraped and mogulled by the end of the day. Now it would be nice if they got a foot or more of snow. Expect a TR on my grim weekend in a few days....

Thumbs up

Thanks for the beta ;

watch for Hans > March 10. J
    " ... I will do anything to go Skiing ... There Is no pride ... " (Miriam , 2005-2006 epic)

" I think about it everyday. It is my reminder to live life to the fullest. I get up early, go to bed late, 'cuz I got shit to do. Like I said, I'm 61. Not going to wait till I'm 81 to do stuff, ...

See you on the slopes! "

My grim TR from this past weekend.

View at your own risk!

BOOO!!!
    Last edited by Jer; 02-25-2008 at 07:09 PM. Reason: I suck at the interwebz!

link Mod. boo (less one [http])

does

https://www.tetongravity.com/forums/s...d.php?t=114284

work Any Better . J

ps. yep.

See you on the slopes! "

12" of new snow overnight, blizzard warning in effect until tomorrow night. Deja-freaking-vu,

Quote Originally Posted by Jer View Post
    12" of new snow overnight, blizzard warning in effect until tomorrow night. Deja-freaking-vu,
    Right you are. I remember April 15th, 2007, very well...

Enjoy it, I can't make it out this year...unless it happens next weekend again...

Just an outstanding day up there today. Bright blue sky, soft snow, 15 degrees, hardly anybody there. Good for the soul.

Yesterday:

tough conditions: it's getting beat up now after extended time with no major snow...bumped out, lots of wood/rock in the troughs. it was foggy and misting on goggles, an inch of older fluff covering numerous "dark spots" which could be rock, stump, pungee stick, or just a brown leaf who knows? Snow varying from very hard and grabby to sticky mush but mostly a pretty good mix of styrofoam and loose softpack...thankfully no crust yet but some refrozen chunks are around, particularly right near the road. It reminded me of low-tide at Taos. Bony mogul fields in the trees on tricky snow.

Techy, humbling, gnarly conditions yesterday. It will be melting today with sunshine and temps in the low 30s, so when it gets cold again expect bony, bumped out, and hard as a rock until it snows a lot again.

Quote Originally Posted by YetiMan View Post
    bony, bumped out, and hard as a rock until it snows a lot again.
    That snow never came. 3 inches of inconsistent windblown over bumped out and hard-as-a-rock with lots of rock and wood showing in the troughs.

Mt Bohemia is probably friggin damn near out of business at this point.

It's January 10th and it just rained again, they haven't opened at all. It's going to have to start nuking if that place has a chance at opening.

For there to have been so much recent hype about that place and now they're having to refund peoples' lodging reservations and possibly give back a whole season of pass sales. What a disaster.

I hope they can hang on. I hope it snows like a motherfucker and they can get it going.

The lakes are so warm that lake effect could turn things around real quick. Lakes probably won't freeze all year so the potential is there for huge dumps though the end of the season.

Quote Originally Posted by iceclimberx15 View Post
    The lakes are so warm that lake effect could turn things around real quick. Lakes probably won't freeze all year so the potential is there for huge dumps though the end of the season.
    I've been thinking that all along....we need some north wind to make it happen! It's been all south-influenced wind since October. That swings around and it could be a cycle to remember....no doubt.

it seems like that warm water scenario is having the most effect on lower michigan, because the lake effect off Lake Michigan would normally be shutting down for ice, and these prevailing southwest winds should be causing a lot of snow down there. I'm just speculating based on looking at radar, wind, and swell maps every day. I haven't really been following snow totals....they must be getting more than we are.

Winds are changing my friend...

Plenty of very good turns up there right now. It's definitely time for another storm cycle though, pretty sharky when you get off the beaten path.

Sounds okay?? Give us more intel
    Zone Controller

"He wants to be a pro, bro, not some schmuck." - Hugh Conway

"DigitalDeath would kick my ass. He has the reach of a polar bear." - Crass3000

Saved my $99 bucks this year.

Quote Originally Posted by digitaldeath View Post
    Sounds okay?? Give us more intel
    What can I tell you, It's maybe a 2 foot base. It was softpack and starting to bump out a little bit on the cut runs with weeds showing through in a lot of places. Heavily traveled tree lines were similar.

Because it's been skied for a week since the last storm, it's at a stage now where if you go looking for unskied, or less-skied snow, you're into very thin cover...you know, because pretty much by now if it hasn't been skied much it's because it's someplace where people know better.

If you're in driving range it's going to beat the shit out of whatever you've been skiing...for sure. If you want to chase pow, bring some skis you really don't care about. If you just want to ski some soft snow and steeper-than-MidwestAverage lines you'll be stoked. I have a feeling the baby bumps I saw everywhere on Friday are going to be maturing into actual mogul fields every day it doesn't snow.....and the more beat up it gets the thinner the troughs will be. That said, yesterday on the cut run the coverage was perfect and it was really good snow, if not pow.

Should be a whole new ballgame after the last few days.

doughboyshredder Guest
    Would love to see some pics. I've always wondered if it's actually as fun as a place as it looks like it could be.

Quote Originally Posted by doughboyshredder View Post
    Would love to see some pics. I've always wondered if it's actually as fun as a place as it looks like it could be.
    Agreed. I like seeing this thread pop up

DD should ski with the former yeti and report back

shit is like 7-8 hours from me... maybe next month
    Zone Controller

"He wants to be a pro, bro, not some schmuck." - Hugh Conway

"DigitalDeath would kick my ass. He has the reach of a polar bear." - Crass3000