Page 5 of 7 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 LastLast
    Quote Originally Posted by brizz View Post

By JANE NORDBERG, DMG Writer

She's pretty much the Bill O'Rielly of the UP. Anything she wrote is pretty much complete bullshit.

Where are all you ripperz? Every time I'm there all I see are a bunch of flailing gaposers. Oh yeah - you're all boycotting.

I never claimed to be anything but a flailing gaposer.

If today had been Sunday, I'd have been there. Unfortunately Sunday was miserably cold and windy and I had to work today (Monday). What a gorgeous day today would have been for skiing, though.
    Last edited by focus; 02-11-2008 at 07:50 PM.

They just posted this on the Mt Bohemia website...

To our customers:

About a month ago we approached the Keweenaw tourism council about a co-op advertsing plan in which we would fund 75% of the campaign and they would fund 25%. This is similar to many ski markets across the country. We explained to the tourism council that since most of our customers eat and sleep off site that they are the main beneficiaries of the Mount Bohemia so it would only be fair to share and help us grow our ad budget to attract even more customers to Mount Bohemia.

We (Mount Bohemia) explained in that meeting that we had invested over one million dollars in advertising since we opened and that they had spent less than $18,000 on advertising Bohemia during that same time. They have spent over$40,000 with Mont Ripley during that same time period and they spend close to $800,000 on the snowmobile trails during this eight year time period. Some of the board members are upset with our strategy of targeting advanced skiers and riders. They attacked us in the local paper today stating that our strategy of no grooming and black diaomond terrain was a bad idea. What do you think? Should we become like every other Midwest ski resort or should we stay the way we are?

Do you spend money at restaurants, bars, and other hotels when you are in town.

Please respond and let us and them know.

We asked the tourism council to work with us not for a hand out.

Please go to the contact us form and tell us what you think.

Sounds like Lonnie is looking for ammunition to throw in the boards face when they tell him no on his advertising money.

Quote Originally Posted by snowchase View Post

hey i will start the boycott
    good luck with that, i'll be in the woods. Going and asking the Keweenaw tourism council for money for an advertising campaign seems just silly. The people who love to ski that type of terrain know it's there. On a weekend pow days the lot is usually packed, it's just at the end of the earth and far far away from most major cities. Go on a weekday and there is 20 to 30 people on the whole rock. I hope it doesn't change, i love that place, but it can't survive forever as an "EXTREME" destination.

Quote Originally Posted by Jer View Post
    Where are all you ripperz? Every time I'm there all I see are a bunch of flailing gaposers. Oh yeah - you're all boycotting.
    We moved to real mountains. You wont see any rippers except maybe first run in the morn...then its near east, east, far east. Ask Chuck...he'll show ya.

financial debacle aside...anybody going to be up this weekend? Who wants to grab a few runs?

i'll probably be up there first thing saturday morning

I'll either be at Bohemia or hanging out in the woods. Maybe both. I dunno - I got punkt pretty bad last weekend. Sat. wasn't very great, Sunday was shut down and I was with a gaperbuddy who had to be at work on Mon., so I missed that too. Sometimes you eat the bar, sometimes the bar eats you. I did see a kickass hardslab avalanche on an east facing slope just south of Crystal Falls, tho. ARV's w/Alta stickers, red jacket, beard.

I'll either be at Bohemia or hanging out in the woods. Maybe both. I dunno - I got punkt pretty bad last weekend. Sat. wasn't very great, Sunday was shut down and I was with a gaperbuddy who had to be at work on Mon., so I missed that too. Sometimes you eat the bar, sometimes the bar eats you. I did see a kickass hardslab avalanche on an east facing slope just south of Crystal Falls, tho. ARV's w/Alta stickers, red jacket, beard.
    I'll watch for ya....Black/Red Scratch BC (plakespear sticker), Grey MX10, Orange Pattagucci jacket.

The tourism council spent $40,000 pimping Mont Cripply? To who? The citizens of Houghton/Handcock? 'Cause they're pretty much the only people who ski there. I've met plenty of people who've driven 10+ hours to ski Bohemia. Nobody south of Baraga even knows Mont Ripley exsists.

Where are all you ripperz? Every time I'm there all I see are a bunch of flailing gaposers.
    The rippers are there midweek. And you won't see them unless you are skiing with them.

All the beaters show up on weekends, totally sold on the EXTREME!!!1! reputation, and launch themselves off any cliff visible from the lift to hardpack.

I love Bohemia, it has a special place in my ski heart. The management (lonnie) is retarded but posting about it on the internet isn't going to do much. They definitely weren't making money off of me or my friends. We would get 40+ days on a $99 pass, bring our own sandwiches and beer, and not spend another dime at the hill.

Right now the plan is to lie low, wait for it to go under, win the lottery, and then run that place the way it should be run. I know there are others who see the wasted potential and shake their heads as well.

i have ideas that i always think about if i ran a ski area like prices based on conditions you know 2inches dump, 4 inches, 6 , 12 etc
    so on the good days your getting good money but people are happy cause it is a powder day
    but what ideas would you rip do if you ran bohemia

First order of business:

If you have a vagina you get to ski for free.

I might be up there Saturday... not decided yet, hows the snow?

Any mags going to be there, might have to go with a gaper friend... sucks not having a vehicle

Quote Originally Posted by rip View Post
    First order of business:

If you have a vagina you get to ski for free.
    What if you have, like, 12 of them? I once knew this guy from Plainfield...

Latest news: Lonnie told the tourism commitee to forget it.

I still can't believe $40,000 to promote Cripply.

Lonnie should come up with a catchy jingle. Some thing like "More of what you ski for - ski Mt. Bohemia".

Quote Originally Posted by rip View Post
    Right now the plan is to lie low, wait for it to go under, win the lottery, and then run that place the way it should be run.
    I'm in.

^^^^^^^

I believe you (to some extent - I'd like to see the actual numbers), but the question remains - $40,000 to promote it? Everyone who knows about it knows about it. Like I said, nobody south of Baraga even knows it exsists. Ripley's a townie hill. Nobody's driving any distance to ski there. I don't think anybody would bother driving all the was up to Bohemia to ski a 30' wide groomed path alongside one of the runs either. Low-intermediate tourist families like big wide gentle groomed runs. Think Granite Peak or Brule. You couldn't do that at Bohemia even if you wanted to.
    Last edited by Jer; 02-14-2008 at 04:39 PM. Reason: I was refering tojustcuz's post, not easyrdr's.

It's possible both Lonnie and his detractors are throwing around a bunch of bullshit. I do know that it would be very difficult to try and turn Bohemia into some kind of destination resort for tourist families. For one, you've got geography working against you. It's way out in the middle of nowhere. It's also (comparatively) really steep. Gaper families like accessibility and wide gentle runs. And I do realise that Ripley is a big racer hill, but racing's relevant only to...well...racers.

But my real reason for posting is to give a shout out to the SCL chapter of the Hitler Jungen:
    Quote Originally Posted by powderpig77 View Post
    FUCK LONNIE LIEBERJEW.
    If Lonnie is a Jew, then shouldn't his hill be turning a huge profit every year?? After all - isn't that what Jews are good at? Making tons of money while decent Arayan folks like you are forced to live in poverty with your wife/sister and five kids in your trailer/meth lab? Then, after you've finished your shift at McDonald's, you go out and kick the shit outta some guy with twelve other skinhead losers? Here's to you getting terminal cancer real soon.
    Last edited by Jer; 02-14-2008 at 07:34 PM. Reason: Sieg Hiel, dipshit.

Bohemia is probably now as well exposed as it will ever be- I have a hard time believing that there are enough people looking for the bohemia-type experience in the midwest to ever turn it into a destination. Just look what happens at Cascade or any other midwest resort when they let stuff bump up or generally go ungroomed- it gets lapped by 4 or 5 folks while the rest of the users avoid it like the plague. Its the same thing with bohemia- we all buy our $99 passes, giving bohemia enough cash on hand to install another poorly thought out "improvement" and pay their employees for a few months. the money coming in from day pass sales has to be absolutely minimal- any given nonholiday weekend the number of passholders to ticketholders is probably on the order of 8:1. Advertising to out-of-towners is a business plan that has failed and will continue to fail until the Keweenaw becomes the last place with dependable snowfall in the midwest.

I dig Bohemia, but as Jer said....its location. IMO its the best in the midwest and its not even close. Lutsen et al...have showed that there is a HUGE contingent of Midwest skiers willing to spend all kinds of money. Trouble is, at 8 hours (from the Twin Cities) - its just a long fukkin way. Its not enough of a place to ever fly to and at 8 hours, I just don't think it could ever take off in a monster way.

I made it to Bozeman in 12 hours last week...at 8 hours its pretty tough to justify. Comparably, 4 hours to Lutsen/Indianhead etc...is very justifiable to families. I think the the hill's operation is fine, the marketing is silly but fine, I don't even families feel its too EXTREME...its just too damn far.

Bohemia bound

Mar 5-8...Gonna finally check it out...I've heard good things hope its true.....
    Last edited by sbooy42; 02-19-2008 at 10:31 AM.

Exclamation

<<Ahem!>>

That is all... carry on.

this hijack brought to you by the 2008 CaberFKNA Micro Mini 2/23.
    "Those 1%ers are not an avaricious "them" but in reality the most entrepreneurial of "us". If we had more of them and fewer grandstanding politicians, we would all be better off."
    - Bradley Schiller, Prof. of Economics, Univ. Nevada - Reno.

powderpig77 just got pwned by Jer...

powderpig77: get lost, doucheguzzler
    Quote Originally Posted by blurred
    skiing is hiking all day so that you can ski on shitty gear for 5 minutes.

Yeah - powderpig77 should change his handle to powderpig88. I'll bet he has custom red buckles on his ski boots.