Page 4 of 7 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 LastLast
    GO. Cold = GOOD for LES machines.

http://www.johndee.com
    Last edited by focus; 01-22-2008 at 09:26 AM.

focus has a good tip on JohnDee.com...more reliable than Bohemia's website (although they are doing a good job keeping it up-to-date this year).

My .02 for the Bohemia marketing machine: they need to hire an outsider. I don't think the management at Bohemia is "money hungry" or cheap, just not in the know...for one reason or another. If they were to bring in an outside consultant to give them some direction, I think that would help a lot.

Anyone going to compete in the video content? We shot some footie last time we were out there, but I have yet to put in on my computer...and I'm video-editing retarded, too. Too bad it won't be until the spring that I can get back out there and do some more filming.

IM going out tomorrow, anyone going to be out there? Hear they have been getting pounded

Heh. I remember meeting a couple of dudes at a consumer ski show about 5 or 6 years ago, right when they were really launching that place. They kept talking about how sick it was and how nobody knew about it. Glad to see it's all true!
    "All God does is watch us and kill us when we get boring. We must never, ever be boring."

Exclamation Black is blue

Realize that 95% of snowriders in the midwest would actually consider this extreme backcountry.

Powder snow, moguls, and trees will scare the dickens out of most regular folks.

I would rather freeze to death than drive 400 miles to Mt. Bohemia, and I am Bohemian!

Head to Colorado, Wyoming, or Montana!

Be that 5%

wishing i was there

cant make it this weekend wish i could. sounds like the up is getting lots of snow

hey justcuz what exactly are they pissing away with their money .
    it looks like a pretty low key place

i agree they dont get it. they should offer multi day passes im frustrated having to pay $45 every day . they are the only ski area i know that does this

i like the terrain though it was fun but im still shocked at the advertising
    most ski areas talk about skiing and about what they have to offer
    Mount Bohemia seems to make fun of people and things which seems kind of juevenile to me

i think it is a great hill but the marketing needs to grow up

Quote Originally Posted by 183GotamasA/T View Post
    Realize that 95% of snowriders in the midwest would actually consider this extreme backcountry.
    92.83% of printed statistics are fictional.

Its kind of a far drive from MPLS dont you think, for what you get?

Quote Originally Posted by TRAPPED View Post
    Its kind of a far drive from MPLS dont you think, for what you get?
    trust me, it could be well worth it if you time it right. get a cabin, only $110 a night, and hopefully some fresh.

Going to be here again this coming saturday hopefully. anyone else?

Bohemia looks cool, especially for a midwest resort. I'd ski there except I cannot fathom a reason I'd end up on the upper upper upper peninsula with a pair of skis.

Their advertising is hilariously refreshing (coming from someone who is constantly bombarded every day by Intrawest/Vail Resorts/Etc marketing)

I like Lonnie's style... hopefully he doesn't put himself out of business. I like the style of mountain he runs as described by his detractor above.

I bet that detractor would want Aaron Brill to groom Silverton to "grow the industry"
    Quote Originally Posted by blurred
    skiing is hiking all day so that you can ski on shitty gear for 5 minutes.

Quote Originally Posted by naedward81 View Post
    trust me, it could be well worth it if you time it right. get a cabin, only $110 a night, and hopefully some fresh.
    Trapped, naedward81 is right...it's worth the commute, if you can time it right. Someone posted the link to JohnDee.com, so take a look at that and try to time it for a storm, and you could probably plunder some LES (that's hip weatherman slang from "lake effect snow").

Also, Bohemia is doing a great job keeping their website up-to-date on snow fall, so check that out too...www.mtbohemia.com. If they get some decent snowfall, you can still get freshies a few days after if you are willing to work.

So yah, it's worth the drive...plus spending a weekend in the UP is kind of like spending a day on Mars...

Quote Originally Posted by fonixmunkee View Post
    So yah, it's worth the drive...plus spending a weekend in the UP is kind of like spending a day on Mars...
    Yea the place is over-populated with Martians, like this guy~~~~~>
    The coefficent of desireability is inversly proportionate to the degree of availability.

anybody know what that hut like thing with no door is at the near the top between the bear runs in the woods? i remember hearing about an old mine that was found the first winter and couldn't think of anything else besides Lonnies secrete smokey love shaq

oh i'll be up sunday morning so somebody keep the LES machince turned on if you don't mind

Gee - all you guys bitching about Lonnie and Bohemia should get together, pool your rescources and start up a place and kick Lonnie's/Bohemia's ass outta the business! That should be pretty easy to do, especially for a bunch or really smart fellows such as yourselves.

Either that or STFU.

In the meantime you should protest Lonnie/Bohemia by not skiing there. That'd be cool. Too many gapers there as it is.

Johndee.com tends to overestimate potential snowfall, to put it lightly. The best day I've ever had up there johndee predicted 4" and the NWS predicted 3". They got 15" in about 9 hours. You can't accurately predict massive lake effect.

When I skied Bohemia back in 2000, I thought they'd never make it past 2001. Shows you what a complete moron I am. Bohemia rules. Lonnie's doing a great job IMO.
    Last edited by Jer; 02-03-2008 at 12:05 PM.

I predict they will pick up 4" late Wed/ early Thursday. Saturday they will get a freak LE squall which will dump 14" by Sunday morning. Sadly, none of the Lonniehaterz will be taking advantage of the great snow because of the Protest. The Farmer's Almanac predicts weather several months in advance, but I don't put much stock in it. I'm not saying johndee.com sucks, I'm just saying that accurately predicting LAS is very hit or miss.

Hey - I'm with ya. Like I said - I thought the place would tank back in 2000. They're still going, so that tells me that Lonnie must know something I don't or else he's just incredibly fortunate. Either way, that doesn't affect my decision to ski there in the least. When I was there New Years Day some idiot was complaining to Lonnie that there were no lockers for him and his family to store thier gear. If I were Lonnie I would have told the guy to write his grievances out on paper and shove them up his ass, but than again I don't run a ski hill. Once again, Lonnie must know something I don't.
    Missmanaged or not, I'll be there as long as the lifts are spinning. Or after they've stopped (due to missmanagement) for that matter.

Quote Originally Posted by Jer View Post
    Missmanaged or not, I'll be there as long as the lifts are spinning. Or after they've stopped (due to missmanagement) for that matter.
    Hell yea! With the base firm now, it should be great after the next dump!
    The coefficent of desireability is inversly proportionate to the degree of availability.

yesterday it took a little work but lots of good snow was still out there, but you can't find it following other people tracks

I'll be in residence slopeside in a yurt Thursday through Sunday -- Grey helmet, orange shell, & teles.

Drop a nickel.

I may have blown today's forcast, but it looks like I'm dead-on for this weekend.

Hey Gnu - red jacket, long hair and beard on ARV's w/ Alta stickers. Unless it's brutally cold out - then big black parka.

I may have blown today's forcast, but it looks like I'm dead-on for this weekend.

Hey Gnu - red jacket, long hair and beard on ARV's w/ Alta stickers. Unless it's brutally cold out - then big black parka.
    There going to be anything worth traveling for this weekend?

Quote Originally Posted by Yukonrider View Post
    There going to be anything worth traveling for this weekend?
    Maybe. But you won't know if you don't go.

Lonnie's having some kinda lengerie party and telefest, but who cares about that? I'm bringing guns and fireworks in case it doesn't snow.

Maybe. But you won't know if you don't go.

Lonnie's having some kinda lengerie party and telefest, but who cares about that? I'm bringing guns and fireworks in case it doesn't snow.
    guns and fireworks are always a good time, or winter carnaval at tech.

Me and a friend might drive up from Marquette if it looks like there is anything good up there.

Bureau mulls Mount Bohemia cash request

By JANE NORDBERG, DMG Writer

CALUMET — Board members of the Keweenaw Convention & Visitors Bureau are weighing a funding request from Mt. Bohemia President Lonie Glieberman that may change the facility’s use.

According to Bureau President Bill Leonard, Glieberman attended the board’s Jan. 8 meeting and said due to economic reasons, he required additional funding for advertising. If the board refuses the request, Glieberman is contemplating a change at the recreation site.

“We either give him $28,000 or Mount Bohemia becomes a private ski hill,” Leonard said.

Repeated calls to Glieberman were not returned.

According to minutes from the Jan. 8 meeting, board members are to take action on the request at its next meeting at 4 p.m. Tuesday at the Keweenaw Convention & Visitors Bureau office in Calumet.

“I think it’s going to be very controversial,” Leonard said. “I really couldn’t say how the board will vote.”

Board Treasurer Dave Sprenger said the board at its last meeting considered spending the $28,000 as long as they could control the promotion, but Glieberman did not agree to those terms.

“There (are) some who feel that his marketing is leading to his financial problems, but he is unwilling to change it,” Sprenger said. “When you’re actively discouraging intermediates and beginners, you’re scaring 90 percent of your market away.”

According to a report given by Glieberman to the Keweenaw Economic Development Alliance, the target demographic audience for Mount Bohemia is men and women snowboarders and extreme skiers between the ages of 14 and 24.

During that same report, given in 2003, Glieberman said the five-year plan for Bohemia included construction of a hotel and cabins, snowcat skiing, achieving 36,000 skier visits per season, a north side chairlift, a second backcountry section, 60 ski runs, achieving a 12.5-percent return on investment and contributing $10 million to the Keweenaw economy. Neither Sprenger nor Leonard commented on Mount Bohemia’s economic impact, although both agreed Glieberman had requested Bureau funding in the past.

“It’s not the first time Lonie has come to the board wanting money,” Sprenger said.

However, he said, if the board funds the requests Tuesday, it will set a dangerous precedent.

“There’s been no other private company coming to us for money, and we’ve had plenty of businesses in worse trouble than his,” Sprenger said.

The bureau’s annual budget has hovered around $220,000 for the last few years, Leonard said. Revenue is gleaned from hotel and motel room assessments. Although only 25-30 percent of those assessments are collected in the winter, the bureau spends about 70 percent of its budget on winter tourism, largely in the form of grooming the area’s snowmobile trails, Leonard said.

If the board funds the request, he said, he does not know where the money will come from.

“The two main questions are whether we are willing to give money to a private business, and are we willing to cut our funding of snowmobiling or another season’s tourism to do that,” Leonard said.

wow what is going on up there?

i still think my coop idea would be great

what about the blow, sounds like lonie is putting all his money in coke instead of in the mountain. does he have a drug problem?

hey i will start the boycott(hopefully only for a short time cause it is a fun place ) and lets put him under and lets do a takeover so the mountain can be run by real skiers and boarders

who else will join with me? I have four buddies that were planning one more trip up there but we could head out to colorado instead

where did all the money go anyways
    but on a side note where is the local support with lonnie or with the bureau
    that was in the paper?
    do you think most people want him and current management gone ?
    can we make this happen