Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 LastLast

I'm sold (Canon G9 Related)

Looks as though you can buy an adapter and use Grad NDs and other filters with the G9. Awesome. I think I'm gonna snag this and a waterproof case for the G9 and try it out in Costa Rica in a couple months. Word.

Check the Singh Ray blog for a quick field report on what pro Darwin Wigget is doing with his G9 at http://singhray.blogspot.com/ (scroll down a bit)

The Griz

if you dont like it and want to sell it for a much lower used price, im your man

Only thing to keep in mind is that any adapters that increase the diameter of the lens housing will block the optical viewfinder, since it's not an SLR....even just up to 58mm. If you can live with that (I can ) then it's money. I plan on picking one up for myself for Christmas.

Down the valley a bit further on the good side of the 49th
    Mine is on the way along with the extreme III card and another slower card that plugs straight into the USB. Should be set.
    It's not so much the model year, it's the high mileage or meterage to keep the youth of Canada happy

As a camera JONG that owns and loves his G7 can you recommend a filter for skiing shots.

I always end up turning the camera ND on when it's bright sunny light then turn it off to keep a higher shutter speed when it's darker in the trees on storm days. I assume I should have maybe two different filters for these different light situations and just leave the camera internal ND turned off.

Has nothing to do with this thread, but I think I want to play with custom white balance settings instead of just using the bright sunllight or cloudy settings.

stick on a polarizer you may already have?
    you dont need to turn it to do any polarization if you dont want.

Pechelman's suggestion isn't bad, but unless you're going to actually use the polarizer, I wouldn't recommend always keeping it on. Unless you're using a warming polarizer, most polarizers will cast a cool blue tone on the imagea and can sometimes compromise your camera's focusing ability for fast-paced shots. It's easy to remedy in PS if it's that significant, but why cause yourself the extra work? NDs are gonna be tough to shoot with skiing unless you're super experienced or are using a tripod or both. It takes a certain type of shot and some solid cooperation from the skier to produce natural looking ski images with dramatic skies. Good luck.
    The Griz

great points grizz
    and yea, id never recommend leaving any filter on all the time.
    just saying if he finds himself in that situation and he has a polarizer, he can make something work.

Looks like the wife is giving the "Buy" sign! WooHoo!

Quote Originally Posted by Tippster View Post
    Looks like the wife is giving the "Buy" sign! WooHoo!
    Technically?
    The Griz

4-TEEF Guest
    G9? What a piece of shit!

Actually I'm sure it is a great camera but it has a MASSIVE flaw in my opinion... the lens is only a 35mm equivalent on the wide end and that my just won't cut it in my book.

I encourage everyone to boycott any P&S camera that doesn't have a 28mm wide. Canon only has ONE camera in there entire line that goes to 28mm and many other manufacturers don't have ANY.

We have a broken S70 at work with a 28mm wide and the ability to shoot RAW and Canon just told me that they don't have parts to fix it. The Canon rep told me that I definitely won't be happy with the image quality of the "SD" point and shoots but none of the "G" series have anything wider than 35mm. WTF Canon? In my opinion wide angle is even MORE important with point and shoots because they are so often used to photograph groups indoors.

BAH!!!!!

DO NOT DO BUSINESS WITH THESE MOTHERFUCKERS:

So I "bought" the G9 online from www.86photovideo.com for the wonderful price of $349.00 . I did not opt for any of their outrageously priced "accessories" like a "Super Hi-Capacity Lithium-Ion Rechargeable Battery" for $150 (street value - $15.00) or the "8GB Professional ULTRA-HIGH SPEED Error Free Secure Digital (SD) Memory Card With Low Power Consumption" for the low low price of -- I shit you not -- $789.00 (street price <$100!)

I get a phonecall from "Steve" saying everything is ready to ship, they just want to confirm that I did not want the camera shipped to the billing address. At the end of the conversation whe throws in a "I'm surprised you didn't opt for the battery upgrade" to which I replied that I work for a News agency and have access to all the LiION batteries I need. He get's very quiet, says "Oh, alright, then, good-bye" and hangs up.

20 minutes later I get an e-mail telling me my camera is now backordered and the earliest i could expect it is in 5-7 weeks, but that they'll hold off charging my card until it gets back in stock.

FUCK YOU.

I wrote them back that I want to cancel my order, and should a charge appear on my card regardless in 5 weeks that I will be filing a Mail Fraud complaint with the FBI. Stupid of me not to just buy it from B&H to start with. Guess I'll wait 'til after the holidays to see if Canon puts out any rebates or sales.

Yo tipp

there are a ton of camera fronts like that, and I almost ordered from them a while back, but did a quick google search because I bought a lens a while back (from a diff company that was later featured on 60Mins) that was grey market. I got lucky on the lens that it works perfect and havent needed a warranty, but I think theyre all run by the same people or something.
    With regard to camera equipment, the "if it sounds to good to be true..." adage is never more accurate.
    Always do research before ordering any camera gear from anywhere except already reputable places, ie wolf\bh\adorama\mikes etc
    And be ESPECIALLY weary from any place in NY.

I bought a G9 last night from bleh circuit city.
    Had a 10&#37; off coupon to use there off of their $454 price plus 130$ in gift certs I got for free = $350 out the door with 2gb of extreme?!?! sd memory.

edit: for entertainment, do a search on hot buys electronics (where i got that lens from)
    I should have known from the name....
    Last edited by pechelman; 11-29-2007 at 10:53 AM.

Sucks to be a victim of fraud but at least you caught it. It sounds like the typically story of pushing you into buying overpriced accessories or it goes out of stock too.

FKNA - G9 will be here in 3 days. Thank you, Amazon.com!

Down the valley a bit further on the good side of the 49th
    First day out with the new G9

It's not so much the model year, it's the high mileage or meterage to keep the youth of Canada happy

Stoked!!!
    The Griz

^^^^^^Oh hell yeah! That is an awesome combo. How is working the buttons in the housing? Awkward?

Quote Originally Posted by Junker View Post
    ^^^^^^Oh hell yeah! That is an awesome combo. How is working the buttons in the housing? Awkward?
    Seems legit. Haven't had actual in water testing yet, but there's full access to all the functions (including zoom). I'm beyond stokered to put this thing to work in Costa Rica in a month.
    The Griz

Damn, that sounds like a nice little camera. How are the images compared to a higher end DSLR that you own? I'm assuming that with the hot shoe an external flash can be used with a slave, right?

Quote Originally Posted by Benny Profane View Post
    Damn, that sounds like a nice little camera. How are the images compared to a higher end DSLR that you own? I'm assuming that with the hot shoe an external flash can be used with a slave, right?
    Benny,

As far as strobing it goes...
    http://strobist.blogspot.com/2007/09...y-g7-feel.html

Syncs up to 1/2500

heh, hey Tipp, what did I tell ya.

"The G7 is quieter than a Leica M6. I would have no problem shooting a PGA golfer at the top of his backswing(!) from 10 feet away from the tee. Have to cover an assignment in church? No prob -- I'll be the quiet one with the tiny camera resting on the pew."

and it's a lot cheaper.

Huh - M6 just goes "tick" but I guess a P&S doesn't need to make any sound at all.

The pix, however, won't compare. There's a reason why one is $400 and the other ~$3000 with a lens.

G9 arriving sometime before noon!

I've got one of the Canon housings for my IXUS/Elph thingy and I have nothing but praise for it. It's bomber and the buttons are super easy to use, and it's my 2nd favorite in my "best photo accessory ever" list after the REI Ultrapod II tripod.

I look forward to seeing what you can do with your combo in CR!
    Putting the "core" in corporate, one turn at a time.

Metalmücil 2010 - 2013 "Go Home" album is now a free download

The Bonin Petrels

First G9 image dowloaded from SD Card. Used it to play around with the W/B in RAW. Pretty fun little camera, and much better in low light for real world applications than the reviews make it seem.