Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 LastLast

Guitars - what do you play

So much for the Guitar Hero. Here's what I play? What about you?

I have a Telecaster. It's a 1993 Tele (Japanese). I replaced the neck pickup with a Seymour Duncan Quarter Pound. The new pickup added another dimension to the sound. The bridge pick up has the usual bite. The rhythm pickup now has a warm, meaty sound. Ernie Ball 10s.

I have an acoustic (it's got a pick up on it) Fender. It's a DG-11. It plays fine. It's really fast compared to my other acoustic. I'm always playing around with different strings to find the sound a sound that I like. My default are Ernie Ball.

I also have Hohner acoustic (HW-400N). It has a lower sound than the Fender. This guitar likes medium Ernie Ball strings. The action is higher. It's a good compliment to the Fender. The action and strings make it harder to play than the others, but I wouldn't change it.

I'd love to try out an SG, Les Paul, and Jazzmaster.
    Last edited by tarkman1; 11-18-2007 at 10:32 PM.

Fender tele custom (Taiwan), Gibson Les Paul Custom Black Beauty fretless wonder, Martin D-12, Gibson POS beginner acoustic, Gibson hollow body electric jazz thinger from the 50's (just a guess).

I play the tele 99% of the time. I haven't settled on a string choice yet. I'm playing reinforced ernie ball 11's right now.

I like the fender bullets but I change my tunnings a lot and they constantly break mid tune.

Yeah fuck guitar queer-o.

I have a Fender Strat with Custom Shop 50's, and a Gibson V with Duncan 59's. GHS Boomers, 10s.
    My main amp is an older Crate Turbo Valve all tube 210. Unfortunately that's about 3000 miles away right now. So I'm stuck with a Fender Blues Jr, along with all my pedals.
    The pedals that tend to never stray from my pedal board are a boss dd-3, keeley blues driver, analog.man ts-9 silver, analog.man comprossor, mrx phase 90, and a RMC Wizard Wah.
    I also have a beater Yamaha acoustic, first guitar, still sounds and plays decent.

edit- this should be a picture thread

I got a fender strat, a lucero classical and a cheapo samick acoustic. I pretty much only play the lucero

I have been playing a 1978 Westbury Custom since 1981. Killer guitars, (google it!)
    http://www.univox.org/guitars/westbury_custom.html

An just last week I scored a VERY rare Westbury Track 4 Bass, which I didn't even know they made. I am beyond psyched!

I also have a Seagull acoustic, and a 2/3 scale Strat.
    Last edited by rideit; 11-18-2007 at 01:00 AM.
    Forum Cross Pollinator, gratuitously strident

this thread calls for pics

'69 Telecaster, cream/maple neck. Bone stock but pickups potted
    '63 Danelectro Silvertone
    early '80's flame maple frankenstrat
    Epiphone NO-295
    Yamaha FG160
    1975 Ovation Balladeer

Someone should start a thread about 'guitars you once had and shouldn't have sold'.

That Westbury's cool.

i'm diggin' the gear fellas!

now for some pics

first up the gibson v with custom painted case. the extra toggle switch is for the bridge pup, which is wired for three settings.

next up the fender strat, pictured with the blues jr, also some pedals visible...dd3, phase 90, wizard wah...that yellow guy is a vintage ibanez flanger.

and the tried and true, beater yamaha acoustic

Quote Originally Posted by oftpiste View Post
    Someone should start a thread about 'guitars you once had and shouldn't have sold'.

Oh, shit...the worst for me was a 59' Gretsch semi-hollowbody les-paul type, with a PERFECT bigsby tremolo. Only ~100 made. I got it as a present from an old lady down the street, who heard that I wanted to learn guitar...and I, being the young, dumb punk, thought that it was too 'country', and sold it for $100.00 on 47th. street on some cold night.
    I am sure that I spent the money on drugs.
    FUCK.
    That thing was beautiful...think thinline les paul shape, hollowbody, gold Gretsch everything, tuners, P-Ups, etc, with F-holes to die for. I would definitely buy a replacement if I could find one.
    Cream body, rosewood neck, gold everything, pearl inlays...good gawd.

I kick myself often for that gaffe.
    Last edited by rideit; 11-18-2007 at 01:03 AM.
    Forum Cross Pollinator, gratuitously strident

I found some great contributions in this thread:
    https://www.tetongravity.com/forums/s...ad.php?t=54540

I was about to say, I don't remember a bigger flameout than Telefunken. Although he's probably back under a different handle, that was a full-on supernova.

Just two axes for me......

My baby blue Fender Strat "Lone Star" (US) - with seymor duncan humbuckers........

And my Ovation - acoustic, electric, slim body........

adam is offline The Shred Pirate Roberts

Guild Classical (50 years old, my grandfather gave it to me)
    Schecter Diamond Series Gryphon
    Behringer Shit Waffle (now fretless)

My pride and joy is my 1990 Gibson SG.

Pretty much stock except for the gold colored tuning pegs my buddy installed on it when the old ones disintegrated. He's color blind and a Berkley music graduate who rips so it translates into a upgrade in my mind, and they are better than the originals. For some reason it won't hold a high E right now, maybe a bur or something, hence the 5 strings on her right now.

My other is just a base model Korean made Fender acoustic. I got her used for my sixteenth birthday and 12 years later still sounds about as good as the day I got her.

Too bad I don't have a picture of these bad boys all set up and sparkling.

No amps or or PA's to brag about. In the past I was a shared owner of a PA and I was always the drummer so I've never had a sweet guitar amp of my own. A little 10" fender Champion 110 but that burnt out years ago. I now just diddle around using an old Crate B-10.

I don't have anything fancy:
    - some Ibanez electric (has a really sculpted body) that I got in the late 80's. I put EMG pickups in it.

- some other Ibanez electric - tune-o-matic bridge, dual humbuckers, neck-thru, mahagony body w/maple top.

- some Artesano nylon string (mod. 40 I think?).

- a really old mandolin. It was my Great Grandmother's.

- I've also got a Seymour Duncan 54/40 tube amp.

I used to have a Rickenbacker electric 12 string solid body, but I sold it long long ago.

Fender Esquire/Telecaster-She's a mutt 1954 body, bridge pickup, neck pickup, guts, 1965 Esquire neck

1993 Paul Reed Smith Custom 24

1942 Martin D 18

1978-is Taylor 810

1970 Yamaha 12 string

1965 Vox AC 30 Top boost

1965 Fender Twin Reverb

1958 Fender Champ

Guitar I should not have sold-1957 Gibson Les Paul Jr

1950's Gibson J-45

Quote Originally Posted by Odin View Post
    1950's Gibson J-45
    Ooooorrrggghhhhhh.

95 USA strat plus
    77 mustang
    50 gibson LG-2

steepconcrete - when do you choose the Mustang over the Strat?

mother natures toilet cuz the weather here is shit
    i play a tele standard american most of the time. its back with white pick guard, love the sound and feel of it. i also have a japanese thinline tele thats hollow body, it is a light wood finish with mother of pearl pickguard , very pretty guitar. ill get some pics tomorrow and put them up. and i just got a sg from some guy said it was a 66 but i cant find anything about the serial numbers got it for 40 bucks. i have a cheap gibson les paul all stickered up black.
    i also have a martin & co. acoustic it is a dm mahogany dreadnaught. a talkamine acoustic/electric, i cant remember the names of the other two acoustics.
    i have a marshal full stack with a crate 1000w head, a fender twin reverb tube amp that rocks. a dw drum kit, 2 18in ev pa heads, 24 channel mixing board, 2000w amp, hard disk recorder, and a dat recorder. a bunch of other stuff too.

one that i regret getting rid of was a 1994 guild acoustic/electric the day after it sold on ebay i got a return email from guild that said it was one of 1400 hand made in 1994 mrsp $1400.00 sold on ebay for 695. but i got to go to jackson hole for a week to ride.
    whoever said laughter is the best medicine never had Gonorrhea.

I play a Yamaha Pacifica Strat copy, a Martin D-16, and a '93 Gibson Les Paul Classic Premium Plus with inlays from a '57 Paul.

tarkman1--it depends on what tone im going for....you can throw the mustang outta phase and get all kinds of rad sounds clean or dirty. depending on what size strings are on it really has a lot to do with the mustangs tone, its got a shorter scale length, so light strings will sound really slacky.

Quote Originally Posted by thephatkid View Post
    one that i regret getting rid of was a 1994 guild acoustic/electric
    damn dude, that sucks. a friend of mine just inherited a 60s guild from his dad... sounds incredible. wish I had the money for a nicely aged acoustic from back in the day.
    slopstyle crosscarver junior

Bumping this thread with some pedal board goodness.
    I gotta say, analog.man and keeley do some excellent work.....
    The ts-9 silver and the keeley blues driver complement each other very well.
    And I also highly recommend RMC wahs......

Current stash:

2 custom built strat style (with my own hands, bitches!!0
    79 Blueburst Dean ML (no pics yet)
    79 Blueburst Dean Z (no pics yet)
    79 Blueburst Dean Caddy (no pics yet)
    LTD M1 Bengal (George Lynch sig)

Here's a bunch I used to have: http://www.flickr.com/photos/9236192...972423/detail/

I have "regular pics" of about 50-60 others I'll have to add to the collection some day...
    Last edited by axebiker; 04-21-2008 at 08:41 PM.
    Gravity. It's the law.