Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 LastLast

First Live Music show you saw in your life...

Well the Best Live Show (music) thread has just touch of on another topic. At least made referenced to it...

http://www.tetongravity.com/forums/s...d.php?t=101745

Quote Originally Posted by MarsB View Post
    Some in memory-
    2nd concert ever, beastie boys, 1986 Rasing Hell tour w/ Run DMC.
    (...)
    John Denver, 1978 (first concert, I was 5)
    More to come.
    Okay, so what WAS your first show? Where, when, how old and with who?

You can include your first concert as a kid also (like quote above) although it was probably your parents dragging you out because they couldn't get a baby-sister and you didn't know anything about the band playing.

I'll start:

JULY 12TH 1977 (I was 12):

KISS at the Montreal Forum (Love Gun tour).
    opening band Cheap Trick (pre-Live at Butokan).
    Price of ticket: $6.50
    Not with parent, but friend from 6th grade.
    Last edited by MadPatSki; 11-16-2007 at 09:21 AM.

x-post

In 1983 I saw RUN DMC, Grandmaster Flash, Fat Boys and Whodini at the "freshfest tour." It was my first show ever. I was 14. I went with my sisters boyfriend and his buddies, sat by myself WAY up in the nosebleeds behind two guys smokin' reefer (my first time seeing that too). This was WAY before white people listened to rap. Those guys turned around and looked at me kinda funny and said,

"Hey kid, do you like this kinda music?"
    "Hell yeah!".
    "Cool. Anybody messes with you tonight, you less us know. We'll take care of you. OK?"
    "OK. Thanks man."
    "You wanna hit off this?"
    "Uhhhh, No thanks...."
    This is the worst pain EVER!

Wow! My first concert was Run-DMC/Beastie Boys on the together forever tour too. 1986 according to MarsB calculation, summer of my sophomore year in high school (?) with some high school cronies (MarsB??). Alas, by the time they got to my podunk town the giant inflatable phalli and scantilly clad women dancing in cages had be purged from the B.Boys set (thank you, Tipper Gore).

Chuck Berry and Muddy Waters. People sharin 'cigarettes'....crazy!
    Something about the wrinkle in your forehead tells me there's a fit about to get thrown
    And I never hear a single word you say when you tell me not to have my fun
    It's the same old shit that I ain't gonna take off anyone.
    and I never had a shortage of people tryin' to warn me about the dangers I pose to myself.

Patterson Hood of the DBT's

1991-ish. 14 years old. Saw Guns N Roses at the Salt Palace.
    So friggn awesome.

...at the risk of dating meself:
    david cassidy w/s/g/ tony orlando and dawn at the garden.
    older sister's pick, mom took us.
    i was SERIOUSLY bummed that the little redheaded tracy partridge wasn't there shakin' her tambourine.

first show i picked...ELO at madison square garden, first week of high school, 1978.
    was over the partridge girl by then...

Quote Originally Posted by buckethead View Post
    first show i picked...ELO at madison square garden, first week of high school, 1978.
    Yep, I believe the Montreal show was like in September or October. Had a ticket for that tour (would have been probably my third show), unfortunately ELO had similar issues than Glen Plake for getting into Canada, so the show was cancelled.

Lonnie, that's an awesome story.

8/12/96 Phish @ Hershey

I was 12, I was with my dad...the rest is history.

1993- Body Count, Metalica, and Guns N' Roses at the Oakland Coliseum.

Sometime in the seventies....Styx and 'Starz', in Baltimore.
    With my brother and mother.
    I think she smoked with some dude, which I think would have been unusual for her at that time. She probably needed it to groove on Styx.
    Forum Cross Pollinator, gratuitously strident

BLOOD SWEAT STEEL Guest
    Late eighties. I think I was ten or eleven. BB King @ bluesfest in Rochester.

I had been dragged along to a zillion shows in my life already, mostly because my dad was a musician and was usually performing in some capacity. He was playing bass with Joe Bonamassa's band at the time, and were kicking off this particular fest on a Friday night. I remember really wanting to go to this one though, mostly because Joey insisted that it would be sweet if I went with him because he didn't want to be the only kid there. Okay, I guess. I remember clear as day we were all sitting in the "VIP" (changing) trailer backstage chowing down on little finger sandwiches and whatnot when out of the blue BB strolled in with his posse in and said "What's going on? You all ready for this, fellas?!!"

It was the only time in my life I was completely, 100% awestruck and speechless. Totally surreal. He's a big guy to begin with, but with those gold rimmed glasses and clean black suit he just looked like a God among mortals for that brief minute. It was really like time stood still for a second or two.

A few minutes later I was struggling to get a yellow earplug out of my ear canal that I had somehow gotten lodged in there, and he walked over to me and said "Here kid, let me give you a hand. I always keep one of these around for this very reason."

Heh. Heh heh.

B.B. reached in his pocket and pulled out a little metal alligator looking clip with this sticky brown stuff on the tips of it. Said "Here, just grab a hold of it with this and tug."

Came right out.
    Last edited by BLOOD SWEAT STEEL; 11-16-2007 at 12:25 PM.

1981/82, summer, Beach Boys @ Napa Town & Country Fair.

The very next night I saw The Tubes opening for Jefferson Starship.

While those were my first legitimate shows, they were local.

The first BIG show I attended was Peter Gabriel at the Greek Theater in Berkeley around 1984.

I became a concert junkie after that. I would routinely get to the local Wherehouse on the Sunday they released tickets (or be up first thing on the phone) and usually buy 2 or 4 tickets and then figure out who I could get to go with me. A lot of times I ended up paying for my friends to go with me (I didn't have a car and wasn't allowed to attend the shows unless I had somebody to go with and then that depended on how well my parents trusted them in terms of driving and not getting us hammered on booze and drugs. My 'rents weren't super strict, but they were straight).

Senior year in high school I saw The Police (Day on the Green) with Madness, Oingo Boingo, Thompson Twins, and the Fixx, Genesis, Yes, Rush, Frank Zappa, ZZ Top, King Crimson, David Gilmour, Roger Waters, Phil Collins (went just for the tandem drum workout between Phil and Chester Thompson), Eric Clapton, Santana, and a few others (would have to consult the ticket stub collection). The junkie vibe carried over into college where I routinely would cut class to drive to shows either in LA or SF (I was @ SLO).
    "Man, we killin' elephants in the back yard..."

https://www.blizzard-tecnica.com/us/en

Quote Originally Posted by dookey67 View Post
    The first BIG show I attended was Peter Gabriel at the Greek Theater in Berkeley around 1984.
    Played Montreal in December 1982 and came back in Summer 1983. 1983 show was the first time I saw him.

Quote Originally Posted by dookey67 View Post
    I became a concert junkie after that. I would routinely get to the local Wherehouse on the Sunday they released tickets (or be up first thing on the phone) and usually buy 2 or 4 tickets and then figure out who I could get to go with me. A lot of times I ended up paying for my friends to go with me (I didn't have a car and wasn't allowed to attend the shows unless I had somebody to go with and then that depended on how well my parents trusted them in terms of driving and not getting us hammered on booze and drugs. My 'rents weren't super strict, but they were straight).

Senior year in high school I saw The Police (Day on the Green) with Madness, Oingo Boingo, Thompson Twins, and the Fixx, Genesis, Yes, Rush, Frank Zappa, ZZ Top, King Crimson, David Gilmour, Roger Waters, Phil Collins (went just for the tandem drum workout between Phil and Chester Thompson), Eric Clapton, Santana, and a few others (would have to consult the ticket stub collection). The junkie vibe carried over into college where I routinely would cut class to drive to shows either in LA or SF (I was @ SLO).
    Geez, that is my life story (concert wise) right there, however I would never try to phone, always line up for ticket sales. Still do sometimes. People call me lucky when I actually get tickets for sold-out show, but it's not luck when you know what you need to sacrifice to get tickets (thinking Arcade Fire, The Police and Radiohead in a same venue last year).

I think we share more than concert junkie stuff, ticket stub collection, but musical taste also. When I think some people think I should act more my age and forget about concerts and crazy ski trip.... NEVER I SAY...NEVER!!!

PS. Found out you made some turns on the same day and same place I did in October (unless there is another Dookey out there). Would have been fun to talk skiing and music with you.

EDIT:

WOW, Blood Sweet, Simply WOW!!!
    Last edited by MadPatSki; 11-16-2007 at 12:28 PM.

Springsteen - Veteran's Stadium, Philadelphia - Born in the USA tour. I think he played for 4+ hours.

advres Guest
    The Beach Boys at Otis AFB on the Cape. Can't remember the year...

Skid Row and someone I can't remember.
    People should learn endurance; they should learn to endure the discomforts of heat and cold, hunger and thirst; they should learn to be patient when receiving abuse and scorn; for it is the practice of endurance that quenches the fire of worldly passions which is burning up their bodies.
    --Buddha

*))
    ((*
    *))
    ((*

www.skiclinics.com

first concert: Bob Marley and the Wailers at The Music Inn, Lenox Mass. june 1978

i was 9, my uncle was babysitting me and didnt want to miss the show. so he dragged me along. I really dont remember much about it. except that i was really excited and got my uncle in trouble when i told my mom about it.
    "They who can give up essential liberty to obtain a little temporary safety, deserve neither liberty nor safety."
    Ben Franklin

It was probably 1980 when my mom & dad took me to a big open field in Veneta, Oregon to see the Grateful Dead. I remember dancing a lot but I was only 5 so didn't do the drugs.

mother natures toilet cuz the weather here is shit
    my first concert was probably raffi when i was really young. it was sweet. then the first real concert was the queers, mr. t experience, the vandals, assorted jelly beans, and some other band i can't remember. i was 16 went with high school friends. the ataris were discovered at that show i found out later, they gave a demo to the vandals and got signed shortly after just kinda cool to say i was there. i have been going to smaller shows ever since, i don't really care for the stadium shows, i like the vibe at the smaller clubs.
    whoever said laughter is the best medicine never had Gonorrhea.

The first one I can clearly the remember would be the Omaha Symphony at age 7 or so. I'm positive I was at music festivals and symphonies/orchestras prior to that, but I don't really recall any specifics.

rerun thread, but I'll play.

First show I remember was Neil Diamond (Hot August Night show). My parents say that they took me to the Beatles, but I don't remember it.

Boston - "Don't Look Back" tour, summer of 1978 - I was 12.

My buddy's older brother wanted to take us to the Little Feat show that ended up being the intro of "Waitin' for Columbus" - August 8. 1977, but we'd only been in the States for a few months and my mom said no.

Boston also. Rochester, NY ..Must have been the same tour....6th grade...11 or 12

Hey BSS ..nice story..if that was in a festival tent in Downtown Rochester..I believe I was at that show....
    Last edited by link1; 11-16-2007 at 02:08 PM.
    Red-i-XS

Buckethead and I must be the same age. My first?

Peter Frampton - Frampton comes alive. At the New Haven Coliseum, 1977. I was 13. My mom dropped off me and a friend then picked us up after the show. Apparently we reeked of pot, but I had no clue (didn't really know what pot was, just that people around us were passing cigarettes around).
    I'm a cougar, not a MILF! I have to protect my rep! - bklyn

In any case, if you're ever really in this situation make sure you at least bargain in a couple of fluffers.
    -snowsprite

BLOOD SWEAT STEEL Guest
    Quote Originally Posted by link1 View Post
    Hey BSS ..nice story..if that was in a festival tent in Downtown Rochester..I believe I was at that show....
    'Twas.

Small world!!