Plummer Canyon Yurt

Just booked it for a weekend in March, super excited. Has anyone been there? terrain beta? Any info much appreciated!
    Go that way, really fast. If something gets in your way, turn.

You are going to have a blast. There is a large variety of terrain, with a lot of options ...I have a TR here from last new Year's somewhere....you can 'bile in your gear, which is an awesome option.
    Forum Cross Pollinator, gratuitously strident

Thanks - I will definitely read that TR.

None of us have a sled so unfortunately that won't be an option.

I can't wait - it's a 30th birthday present to myself!

For some reason, I can't copy n' paste...search 'rideit, where are the goods?'
    (schmoesmith), and if someone could link it, that would be swell....(It's a Baldy TR, but close enough)

Found it - Awesome TR.

Thanks for the info - answered a bunch of my questions.

One questions though - do you think we should hire a guide for the first day? None of us have been up there before. Everyone has their avi 1 or higher and lots of days on the pass, out of the gates at the village and ghee but I am a little concerned about not knowing the terrain. Thoughts?

I’ve been twice and will be heading up for a third time in March. We’ll be up there 3/14-3/16, so who is getting whose sloppy seconds?

Check out the attached map. Plummer Canyon is off Moose Creek Canyon (a little left of center on the map) the yurt is just west of the E in “FOREST” written at the top of Plummer.

There are some gentle slopes right above the yurt. They are fun in the afternoon after you arrive and unpack. Past those pitches we’ve skied a couple different things. We’ve dropped into South Fork Game Creek Canyon (maybe along the vertical line in the middle of the map). The pitch was good but short and it became train trappy pretty quickly. It may be better more to the east. We’ve also dropped into Sherman Canyon and then climbed the peak to the east (Elev: 10262) and skied back down into the head of Sherman. That is a nice pitch. Not super steep, but fun.

The yurt has everything you need save clothes, food, and booze. There is no need to bring plates, cups, utensils, etc. There are even books, cards, and games. The yurts are super fun. Definitely a (if not the) highlight of the winter.

There's a lot to be said for nowhere.

Can you cross link it here for me?
    Thanks.
    If you guys are avy-savvy, I wouldn't think that you would need a guide, but Jeff is awesome, knows his shit, and woould likely save you thousands of calories of effort to get you the goods as fast as posible. There is some hairball terrain up there as well...

Fun yurt. Spent a few nights there years ago when I was living in Jackson. Best stuff we found were the lines that drop into Game Creek.

Quote Originally Posted by MuleSkinner View Post
    One questions though - do you think we should hire a guide for the first day? None of us have been up there before. Everyone has their avi 1 or higher and lots of days on the pass, out of the gates at the village and ghee but I am a little concerned about not knowing the terrain. Thoughts?
    That may depend on the weather. The first year we went up it was a bluebird weekend and we had no problem finding our way around. Last year it was socked in most of the time. If we hadn't been there before it may have been tricky knowing where to go.
    There's a lot to be said for nowhere.

Quote Originally Posted by StormRider View Post
    That may depend on the weather. The first year we went up it was a bluebird weekend and we had no problem finding our way around. Last year it was socked in most of the time. If we hadn't been there before it may have been tricky knowing where to go.

Looks like we are getting your sloppy seconds - we will be up there the following weekend. Thanks for the info - might wait and see what the snowpack looks like (bomber I hope) before hiring a guide.

Super excited - was supposed to do this trip 2 winters ago. The week before, I had a slight accident in Rock Springs and was in a cast for the remainder of the winter so excited to finally get up there

Ride It - here is the TR -http://www.tetongravity.com/forums/showthread.php?t=72396&highlight=baldy