Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

A Dozen More Turns - watch this video

http://www.lifeonterra.com/episode.php?id=77
    http://www.lifeonterra.com/episode.php?id=78
    http://www.lifeonterra.com/episode.php?id=79

Here's a link to the report on avalanche.org - this one got to me when I read about it in 2005 - it could have been you or me

http://www.avalanche.org/proc-show.php3?OID=5337213
    Last edited by ~mikey b; 11-09-2007 at 08:29 PM.

Sorry I'm late to the party, but this film is a great reminder as we start each season. Thanks for finding the links to the film. It can also be purchased at backpackinglight.com for $5.98. The film was made by Blake's sister (the guy who died) and it is being sold for cost to get it into as many hands as possible.

Jay
    Five minutes into the drive and you're already driving me crazy...

wow what a story

thanks telemike for the links to this. this was very hard to watch and it does a great job of getting the point across. I work in wildland fire for the last 8 years and the one thing i have learned from this is mother nature is one beast not to fuck with. a lot to be said about group dynamics in this also . ever group must talk and there should a leader I think personally . a lot was done right in this group for sure. humble and amazed sorry it ended that way ...

Damn it's amazing how quick things can turn to shit. From what they said in the movie they agreed not to go higher, and Blake did it anyways? That's pretty FUBAR right there. I feel bad for all involved. It's good to see Sam's success in the paralympics. Hope the family Blake left behind is doing okay.

This movie really does wake you up and make you realize that something like this can happen to anyone....even individuals who are extremely experienced and intelligent. I went to high school with Sam...and his wife. They are both truly amazing people. Sam is one of the most intelligent guys I know and I was fortunate enough to hear this story in real life. Sam took a horrific experience...and is basically riding it "switch" through the rest of his life. He is using his experience to educate others regarding the dangers of backcountry recreation...and turned his loss of a limb into an empowering athletic career. I am truly inspired by him and will always be thinking about this situation whenever I venture into avalanche country.

Safe travels to all...and to all a good ride.

Saw this video at the National Avy School this year. It really brought home the point that we are dealing life and death and real people. It's all too easy to talk about "incidents" and become removed from the human aspect of the risks we take. Thanks for post.

Bump for a great film. I think it will save a few lives.

http://revver.com/video/310519/a-dozen-more-turns/

That is one nasty broken leg, and one tough sum-bitch to survive that and being down 9 units of blood.

Reminded me of my own near death avy experience considering my wife was home pregnant just like the poor skier Blake Morestad that died.

Blake by the way had his LEVEL 3 avy training and a PHD in related snow science.

Human heuristics are our worst enemy.
    . . .

Another bump for a vital view. Take the half hour and watch it.
    not counting days 2016-17

I'm a health, safety, environment, & regulatory geek for a major oil company. I've purchased 20 copies of this great film and have given them to my work groups. This movie talks about all of the safety related things that we try to pound into their heads, decision making, group dynamics, the consequences of bad decisions. It is the most powerful tool in my tool chest. The feed back I've received has been incredible. It's too bad that someone had to die and another lose a leg but I'm convinced it has spared several injuries in a group that will never put skis on their feet.
    Does anybody know how to contact Sam or Blake's sister I would truly like to thank them for all they have done and to pass along how many people are better off for their courage to produce this story.

Very powerful. Very touching. My heart breaks for Sam & Addy.
    Gravity. It's the law.

I remember when that shit went down. I was working SAR down there, and yea. not fun at all. really good video though, brings back shitty memories, but they are good to learn from.
    backcountry makes my wee wee tingle...
    "What was once a mighty river. Now a ghost." Edward Abbey
    Quote Originally Posted by rideit View Post
    It's not wyoming...it's Jackson.
    Different rules apply.
    My Adventures

"Feeling good is good enough."

Thanks...

Thanks for all the postings about A Dozen More Turns. I'm the person who made the film (it's my first film) and I still can't believe how people respond to the story and take away the message.

I am not, however, Blake's sister. I'm sorry to say that I never had a chance to meet Blake in his life. I now know is wife, Addie, and his son Blake. They are amazing people, as are Sam and his wonderful wife Sara.

Pass the word along about the film. If any lives can be saved by watching a 30-minute film...

Amber Seyler

Quote Originally Posted by chomper13 View Post
    Thanks for all the postings about A Dozen More Turns. I'm the person who made the film (it's my first film) and I still can't believe how people respond to the story and take away the message.

I am not, however, Blake's sister. I'm sorry to say that I never had a chance to meet Blake in his life. I now know is wife, Addie, and his son Blake. They are amazing people, as are Sam and his wonderful wife Sara.

Pass the word along about the film. If any lives can be saved by watching a 30-minute film...

Amber Seyler
    Thanks again, great work.

wow. very powerful.

if Blake, with a Masters/research in snow science, and this crew can get caught, who can't?

I just heard about this film on Thursday at my Level 1 class; it's a sobering example for sure.
    "No snowflake in an avalanche ever feels responsible" -Stanislaw Jerzy Lec

Quote Originally Posted by chomper13 View Post

Amber Seyler
    Thank You for making this
    It really made me think
    I'm sure it will save a few lives
    If it can happen to people who REALLY know what they are doing it can happen to anyone

sketchy snowpack new years bump

http://revver.com/video/310519/a-dozen-more-turns/
    "They who can give up essential liberty to obtain a little temporary safety, deserve neither liberty nor safety."
    Ben Franklin

Wow. Thanks for the bump. I'll be heading out tomorrow for a big hut-to-hut loop through some serious avalanche terrain (Lindley->Taggert->Friends->Markley) and it was damn sobering to watch that. I think I'll be scoping out big lines for the spring rather than skiing them. (Not that I'm dumb enough to try to hit anything big right now anyway.)

Sam's line -- if one person is uncomfortable, that's a group decision -- is my number one rule in the backcountry, whether skiing or anything else. It's cost me a lot of sweet lines and peaks and just fun in general. I could give you a tally. What I can't tell you is how many times it saved my life.

This is a free download on itunes...
    This is the worst pain EVER!

Does anyone know where (or if) this DVD can still be purchased? backpackinglight.com is sold out and I can't seem to find it anywhere else - not even eBay or half.com. I already downloaded it from iTunes, but I would love to have it on DVD as well. I'm sure I can burn it on DVD from iTunes, but I'd rather have the original if possible. Thanks!

the filmmaker, Amber is a friend of mine. I'll hit her up and see if she has any.
    either that or another friend does snowmobile dvds and included 'a dozen more turns' as an extra on last season's dvd. so he may have a high res copy he could burn.
    "They who can give up essential liberty to obtain a little temporary safety, deserve neither liberty nor safety."
    Ben Franklin

wow, what an amazing vid

Thanks for posting that here, definitely some food for thought, especially the title which seems to be exactly what myself and my friends are thinking most of the time

Thanks for posting, gread vid.

SkiBumOfVT Guest
    I remember me seeing this video when I was pretty young, and it scared the crap out of me. It's a great avy training video and my friends have said they showed it at their avy 1 course.

Bump for this winter.
    "Buy the Fucking Plane Tickets!"
    -- Jack Tackle