Page 4 of 10 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 ... LastLast
    Goldie "Timeless"...the only album you need.

like the title says its timeless.

http://www.musicmatic.de/G/Goldie_1.jpg

Originally posted by BobMc
    But every night the men would come and lay their money down...

(Or something like that)

BobMc
    You're very close, I can't remember it exactly.

Too proud to Google, I am.

The Flaming Lips - The Soft Bulletin and Yoshimi battles the pink robots

Sigur Ros - ()

Radiohead - the bends, ok computer, kid a, amnesiac, hail to the thief

Smashing pumpkins - siamese dream, melloncollie and the infinite sadness

Bjork - vespertine

The Cure - disentigration

Depeche Mode - violater

U2 - achtung baby

Originally posted by meatdrink9
    The Flaming Lips - The Soft Bulletin and Yoshimi battles the pink robots
    Sigur Ros - ()
    Yes, I'd add those two - especially Flaming Lips. Sigur Ros gets um... to be too much after a while.

Both the Chilli Peppers and Pixies started out promisingly, but rapidly faded into mediocrity- the Chilly Peppers, disgustingly so.

A lot...A LOT, of bands had a really great song or two, however, I honestly cannot think of one that put it all together for an entire album over the last couple of decades.
    Daniel Ortega eats here.

Originally posted by Viva
    A lot...A LOT, of bands had a really great song or two, however, I honestly cannot think of one that put it all together for an entire album over the last couple of decades.
    Hmmmmm....I appear to have found an ally.

Whether or not any of these will really become classics is hard to say, but I love em.

Weezer-Blue Album
    RHCP- Mothers Milk, Blood Sugar Sex Magic, Californication, By the Way
    Metallica- Everything Black album and before, they probably don't count for this thread but whatever

Sublime-all of them

I was just thinking...when you think of the truly great bands, or the truly great bands in their great periods, they are all incredibly prolific by today's standards. I mean, it always boggles my mind that not only is the Beatles' shit so good, but it all came in the space of 10 years? Or that the Rolling Stones released Let It Bleed, Sticky Fingers, and (and!) Exile within what, 4 years?
    Obviously, and especially with the Beatles, the era in which they made their music was exploding with new musical ideas, technology, etc., etc. But I wonder if another reason, and if this is a common concept I apologize, is that back then record labels had so much control over artists, and required them to pump out more records than they might have otherwise and keep the ol' creative juices flowing. Now, big acts release an album every 3 years...

Maybe bigger, multinational tours have something to do with it as well. Probably. I don't know.

The concept of this thread is pretty inane. Why doesn't someone start a thread with the title "Best Ice Cream Flavor Ever."

I do agree with Iceman in that most of those mentioned albums will not stand the test of time. There's a few in the ones mentioned that will, but 95% of what's been mentioned will surely be forgotten.

In the last 20 years, major lable record companies found out that it's far more profitable for them to put out one-hit wonder after one-hit wonder. As such, there's only a few artist that ever get to fully develop thier musical abilities (more modern examples are U2, Sting, Allison Kraus, Radiohead, Beastie Boys, etc.). Therefore, the chances of getting another "Pet Sounds" or "Dark Side" are slimmer now then they were 25 or 30 years ago, even with a huge increase in the shear volume of artists that are out there today.

To really find some albums that will still be highly listenable 20 years from now, you have to look at more independant label artists. Ones that come to my mind are Nina Nastasia's debut album, Gomez's "Liquid Skin," and Tift Merrit's album who's name eludes me but has the songs "Trouble Me" and "The Neighborhood." Unfortunately, they won't "stand the test of time" because they'll surely be forgotten. And you still have to wade through a bunch of crap to find a gem.
    Fighting foot fungus one public bath house at a time!

My site

Atmosphere-Lucy Ford
    A Tribe Called Quest-Anthology
    Anything Ben Harper
    Counting Crows-August and Everything
    Pearl Jam-VS
    Ozomatli-OZO
    I could go on...personal perference I guess.

Play - Moby
    18 - Moby
    Hallucination Engine - Material
    FZ:OZ - Zappa (released 2002 HA!!!)
    Sacred System: Nagual Site - Bill Laswell
    Sacred System Chapter 2 - Laswell
    Live at the Atlanta International Pop Festival - The Allman Brothers Band
    Mellow Gold - Beck
    Vitalogy - PJ
    Vroom - King Crimson
    Lateralus - Tool

All worthy and I'm sure there are more.
    Merde De Glace On the Freak When Ski
    >>>200 cm Black Bamboo Sidewalled DPS Lotus 120 : Best Skis Ever <<<

Originally posted by Ubersheist
    Tift Merrit's album who's name eludes me but has the songs "Trouble Me" ...
    Is that the 10,000 Maniacs song? Because I like that song.

Also, I think I went to high school with Tift Merritt. Huh.

edit: yep, ol' Tift's a Choatie.
    Last edited by Steven S. Dallas; 04-14-2004 at 11:07 PM.

Catherine Wheel - Ferment
    Red House Painters - Red House Painters (rollercoaster cover)
    American Music Club - Everclear
    The Auteurs - New Wave
    Blur - Parklife
    Oasis - (What's the Story) Morning Glory?
    The Chills - Submarine Bells
    The Shins - Chutes Too Narrow
    Radiohead - The Bends, OK Computer

Originally posted by Alex P. Keaton
    But I wonder if another reason, and if this is a common concept I apologize, is that back then record labels had so much control over artists, and required them to pump out more records than they might have otherwise and keep the ol' creative juices flowing.
    You've got it backwards. Today, record companies and producers have (in general) far and away more control over the music produced then the artists. The company and producers know what sounds and formulas sell. When its thier dollars on the line, you can bet they're going to squeeze an artist into thier mold so they get a return on thier investment.

When the industry of rock and roll was younger, execs didn't know where it was headed, so more (but not total) control was given to the artists. You still had your corporate puppets like the Monkees and the Osmonds, but more artists were left on thier own and the producers were far more experimental then and far more willing to take musical risks.

My site

Pixies mediocre? They only invented what we now know as "Alternative" music. They were cited by Kurt Cobain as his biggest single influence. Unless of course you think all "Alternative" music is mediocre.

As far as the poll goes:
    Pixies- Doolittle
    Pharcyde-Pharcyde
    RHCP- Mother's Milk(does that fit the time frame?)
    Ben Harper- Fight for your mind
    Fugees
    Anything by Primus
    Blink 182- Enema of the state
    Tool- Enima
    NoFx- I Heard they suck live, Punk in Drublic
    Slayer- Divine Intervention
    Herbie Hancock- Secrets
    Dave Mathews- Anything but his last P.O.S.
    Rusted Root- When I Awoke(preferrably on shrooms)
    and...

my most obscure album-

Hypnotic Clambake- "Frozen Live" Vol.1

Originally posted by Alex P. Keaton
    Is that the 10,000 Maniacs song? Because I like that song.

Also, I think I went to high school with Tift Merritt. Huh.

edit: yep, ol' Tift's a Choatie.
    No. Not the same as the 10,000 Maniacs song. A very different song.

Did ya hook up with her? She looks awefully cute on the CD booklet!

My site

You can kick me in the nuts, but Enema of the State is pretty damned good. Name one song that isn't ear candy...

I agree Ice. We do live in a repressed time for music. I guarantee you won't hear any DMX, Emenem in 15 years. I think that's why downloading is so big. Most disks now have 4 good songs and the rest is filler.

Originally posted by warthog
    Pixies mediocre? They only invented what we now know as "Alternative" music.
    Says who? I like the Pixies, but they invented alternative music? How about Frank Zappa, The Velvet Underground, and David Bowie to name a few who came way before and were definitely alternative.

Today, record companies and producers have (in general) far and away more control over the music produced then the artists.

When the industry of rock and roll was younger, execs didn't know where it was headed, so more (but not total) control was given to the artists.
    Well, I don't know. They pay these guys so much money now, up front, that the artists probably don't want to stray too far from their formula, because if they don't make back the huge advance on the sales they're going to have to pay it back themselves. So they probably don't take chances the same way. I feel like that's a bigger problem than artistic direction coming from the top- if you were Tommy Mottola, and signed a band that was doing well and kicking ass, wouldn't you just let them continue to do what they were doing, knowing that you were either going to make your money back or leave the band on the hook?

I guess the means of control have shifted from dangling the money in front of the musician to giving them "guaranteed" money that they'll have to make back or lose. Kind of like what's happened in the NFL...Hmmmmm.

Blurred Elevens Guest
    Originally posted by 1080Rider

I agree Ice. We do live in a repressed time for music. I guarantee you won't hear any DMX, Emenem in 15 years. I think that's why downloading is so big. Most disks now have 4 good songs and the rest is filler.

Says one old guy to the other..........

Plenty of us still listen to Ice-T, Public Enemy, and NWA, and Ice Cube...All music from 15 years ago....wrong again Gramps!

Eminem-Marshall Mathers LP (excluding all the wierd little skits throughout it.) It's hard to compare rap to rock, but you can't just eliminate the whole genre from the topic. When I judge music it's usually not on the fundementals of the band, and maybe not even the originality. I judge music by how much I feel it. If you listen through that album you are pretty much dragged through an emotional rollercoaster. To me , that's good music.

I'd like to second the vote for oasis also.

Did ya hook up with her? She looks awefully cute on the CD booklet!
    If I had hooked up with her, I definitely wouldn't remember her name. She was pretty cute in high school fer sher. She was a couple years ahead of me.

I did hook up with Lauren Ambrose, of Six Feet Under, when I was in high school (classmate, real name Lauren D'Ambrosio).

Originally posted by bagtagley

Coldplay is a good suggestion.
    I glad you mentioned this. Coldplay is the iceman's favorite band.

Album may be a word of the past

Too much money too be made selling singles and I-Pod songs these days...it's a shame I know

"I can't think of one album that I would qualify as GREAT in forever." Ice... fer real???

Ok perhaps I should save it for another thread, But perhaps the best album cover ever?> (also a great album) http://www.ween.net/chocolate_and_cheese.jpg

Also greats IMO
    http://www.bluestraveler.com/images/...nd_thieves.jpg

http://toolshed.down.net/pix/eyesanim.gif

http://www.9inchnails.com/images/dis...te_machine.jpg

( these two almost makes the 15 year cut)
    http://www.redhotchilipeppers.com/di..._im/freaky.jpg
    http://shakti.trincoll.edu/~chunt/mama/mama.gif

(I know I'll get some hate on this one, But music is subjective so)
    http://www.stonetemplepilots.com/ima...um_core_on.jpg

and YES GONZ!!!!!!!!!!!!
    hell yes !!!!!!

http://i.walmart.com/i/p/00/72/06/42...12_150X150.jpg

AFI - Black Sails in the Sunset, The Art of Drowning and Sing the Sorrow. all sick albums. their earlier stuff was to punk.

nomeansno - The Worldhood of the World (As Such)

Last edited by powslut; 04-14-2004 at 11:38 PM.