Page 10 of 10 FirstFirst ... 5 6 7 8 9 10
    Not wading throught the ten pages, just looking after the list in the music section I would also put up a couple of Los Lobs albums.

Go out and buy,

Kiko
    Colosal Head
    This Time

Dig those go get,
    Good Mornign Aztlan
    How will the Wolf Survive
    The Neighborhood
    Skiing, where my mind is even if my body isn't.

The Miseducation of Lauryn Hill- brilliant stuff and there isn't a single song on this album that isn't good

Paul Simon, Graceland- i am not sure if this qualifies within 15 years, but definately one of the best in the last 20 years.

Dr. Dre, Chronic- the man is a genius. The follow up album, Chronic 2001(2?) is one of my all time favorites

Red Hot Chili Peppers, Blood-Sugar-Sex-Magic & Californiacation- soooooo many classic songs between these two albums.
    "You look like you just got schnitzled..."

Thumbs up

Originally posted by el_jefe
    The Chemical Brothers
    Come With Us
    Surrender and Dig Your Own Hole are just as strong.

To reiterate:
    GNR--Appetite
    AC/DC--Back in Black
    Pearl Jam--Ten, VS
    Moby--Play
    NIN--The Downard Sprial

To add:
    Reel Big Fish--Turn the Radio off
    R.E.M.-- Document (1987, but damn solid top to bottom, it made their career)
    Dirty Vegas--Dirty Vegas
    The Crystal Method--Tweekend, Legion of Boom
    The Mighty Mighty Bosstones--Let's Face It

There's many more out there
    I've concluded that DJSapp was never DJSapp, and Not DJSapp is also not DJSapp, so that means he's telling the truth now and he was lying before.

Thank goodness this fart ancienne is not the only one who thinks Moby is a watermark. I'm surprised he's been mentioned by so few. He may not be the first, but he sure has popularized that form and I do think that each of 18 and Play are nearly flawless as albums go.

Others:
    The first Praxis.
    Orbital
    Merde De Glace On the Freak When Ski
    >>>200 cm Black Bamboo Sidewalled DPS Lotus 120 : Best Skis Ever <<<

Death Cab for Cutie- Transatlanticism. Tells the story of lost, long distance love, start to finish in 42 minutes. And tells it beautifully.

Weezer- Blue Album. When it goes into the CD player, it ends up there for weeks on end. Not a single weak track on it, and I've sang along to the entire CD with a friend on road trip.

The Format- Interventions and Lullabies. Ear candy.

Dream Theatre- Scenes from a Memory. Yes, I'm a dork, but that CD was rocking hard in my car's CD player for most of my Junior year of high school without me getting tired of it. The only reason it's retired is that it got scratched and I still haven't bought a new copy. Maybe that means it doesn't count.

The obligatory Tool album, Lateralus. Even Buddyhead likes Tool, and they hate everyone.

/Hey! My opinion doesn't matter!

Thumbs up

Moby - play

...is definitely deserving. That's been played in my player at some "interesting" times. I don't think 18 is on the same level though

The Crystal Method - Vegas

I'd forgot about these guys. Tweekend is just "meh", but Legion of Boom is back on track for sure.

answer me this old timers

not too long ago i found "Small Faces" on vinyl at the Salvation Army, fronted by Rod Stewart, i figured it couldn't be that bad for a quarter, turns out it pretty damm good(guitar, harmonica & banjo, can't go wrong there). Where in the time line of music did "Small Faces" appear?

Originally posted by iceman
    Brutha, I'm ready. The opposition seems strangely subdued, however.

Parker Brothers or Milton Bradley, c'mon, C'MON C'MON!!!!
    No, I had logged off to watch hockey.

I just thought the way your question was worded seemed to indicate a little generational bias.
    Insominia is my new hobby.

Re: answer me this old timers

Originally posted by powderhound
    not too long ago i found "Small Faces" on vinyl at the Salvation Army, fronted by Rod Stewart, i figured it couldn't be that bad for a quarter, turns out it pretty damm good(guitar, harmonica & banjo, can't go wrong there). Where in the time line of music did "Small Faces" appear?

Small Faces started in 1966, though Rod Stewart didn't join the band until 1969. Other notable members would be Ron Wood, Kenney Jones, and Steve Marriot. That song at the end of Rushmore is excellent. You can learn more than you ever wanted to know about most artists ever at www.allmusic.com

I have a couple of things to say about this...one, I agree with Iceman that a lot of people in the post have below average taste in music, but then again, myself and most of my friends would consider me a music snob. Perhaps the best thing to do would be to compile the most mentioned albums in the post and from there you might be getting somewhere. Obviously everyone will have some favorites that most people would laught at, but when something transcends all tastes and levels of music nerdosity (I hope this isn't a real word), then it is truly a classic. From reading 10 pages of posts, I would say it looks something like:

Guns n' Roses- Appetite for Destruction
    Weezer- The Blue Album
    Nirvana- Nevermind (I agree that Unplugged is not an album)
    Pearl Jam- Ten
    Radiohead- OK Computer
    Smashing Pumpkins- Siamese Dream

Maybe there are a few I missed, but hey, real classics are few and far between.

The fact is though that iceman said, "is there an album in the past fifteen years that you would qualify as great?" So this opens it up to anyone's personal favorites, not just "classics".

So, I would say for me personally:

Weezer- The Blue Album and Pinkerton
    Cave In- Until Your Heart Stops
    The Beastie Boys- Liscensed To Ill
    My Bloody Valentine- Loveless
    The White Stripes- White Blood Cells
    The Strokes- Is This It?
    Sleep- Jerusalem
    Aesop Rock- Labor Days

That's just a few I could think of on the spot.

I wish I could put Metallica's Master of Puppets on there, but the fact is that album came out 18 years ago. Plus, no U2 album should be allowed anywhere near a classics list, except for maybe Zooropa, Boy, or War.

Originally posted by Darkside
    but when something transcends all tastes and levels of music nerdosity (I hope this isn't a real word), then it is truly a classic. From reading 10 pages of posts, I would say it looks something like:

Guns n' Roses- Appetite for Destruction
    Weezer- The Blue Album
    Nirvana- Nevermind (I agree that Unplugged is not an album)
    Pearl Jam- Ten
    Radiohead- OK Computer
    Smashing Pumpkins- Siamese Dream
    Just because some of these have appeared multiple times hardly means they 'transcend musical taste.' I for one can't take G'nR or Pearl Jam. Eddie Vedder's voice just seems so contrived. I guess I have a limited tolerance for Billy Corgan, too.

Obviously everyone's taste is different. Everyone probably has a few CDs that they believe every track on is a classic. To someone else this same CD is a stinkin' pile of shite. If you like it who really cares what the other guy thinks. But for some reason its fun to argue about it.

Little Village - Little Village - 1992

Beck - Sea Change
    The Cranberries - no need to argue

I like those wicked cool guys in Godsmack.
    Insominia is my new hobby.

Just because it's older than 15 years doesn't make it good... Quite a few people cosider the following as "Classic Artists:"

Billy Joel
    Jefferson Starship (Grace, what the FUCK???!!!)
    Chicago
    ELO
    Cat Stevens
    Dan Fogelberg

Plus Many Many more. The one thing these "Performers" have in common is that when their "art" comes on the radio I will change the station. See, it's subjective, as all art should be.

BTW - "Appetite for Destruction" came out in '87, "Licensed to Ill" in '86. If they count, then I'm going to include one of my favorite albums of all time:

Dire Straits - "Brothers in Arms" ('85)

I just keep thinking that "Turbonegro" would be a good name for a track team.
    Dynamite!

I always liked this one:
    http://www.reachdown.com/images/totd.jpg

Okay, since someone dragged this back up, here's the conclusion I came to the other day and it's so fucking obvious that we should all be ashamed. What do alll great albums have in common? They have stood the test of time. What do albums produced recently lack? Time to see if they stand up.

You're all a bunch of fucking morons, and I'm at the top of the list.

You're all a bunch of fucking morons
    We never said we weren't

Thumbs down

Originally posted by Darkside
    Plus, no U2 album should be allowed anywhere near a classics list
    Boooooooooooooo.
    bc-lovah