The Best Goggles I have Ever Seen

You get them free with Lasik, which I had today. I'll see if I can get a group buy going though.

ROBOTS ARE EATING MY FACE.

most expensive goggles too id imagine

do they knock you out during the procedeure? the thought of a knife on my eye is just erm.. squirmish..

So what's it all like? I'm thinking of going for a consultation this month. I'm getting real tired of glasses and contacts.
    Brandine: Now Cletus, if I catch you with pig lipstick on your collar one more time you ain't gonna be allowed to sleep in the barn no more!
    Cletus: Duly noted.

Panoptix? That's what they look like.
    I'm a cougar, not a MILF! I have to protect my rep! - bklyn

In any case, if you're ever really in this situation make sure you at least bargain in a couple of fluffers.
    -snowsprite

How much for one eye?

The lasik is expensive, the goggles are free.

I'm pretty fucking stoked right now. Spent the day in a valium/vicodin haze: laid in bed for about two hours, not because I was tired, but because it felt so good just to lay there.

My eyes feel pretty scratchy and dry, but it's not too bad. I've actually switched to my Smith Phenom's, cause those other ones are fogging up alot (my eyes are tearing a bunch and I'm doing three diff. kinds of drops).

They don't put you out, but give you valium to relax you. This kind of stuff doesn't bother me. I almost fell asleep on the table the 10 minutes before that started.

The only uncomfortable part was this suction cup that goes over the eyeball to hold it in place so the first laser can make the flap. Just a lot of pressure on and around your eye, but it only lasts maybe 60 seconds. After both flaps are cut they put you under the laser that actually does the magic. My vision was blurry from drops and whatnot, but I could tell when the doc pulled the flap back, as it go a whole lot more blurry. The second laser only lasts about 20 seconds. Then he puts the flaps back and smooths them down. That's it. Out the door with funny goggles and meds. I fully recommend if you're a canidate. I went to a pretty good place that uses the latest tech ( I guess the shit they used on me was just approved by NASA). oregonlaser.com if your interested in researching. I feel fine right now and suppossedly the first day is worst. I have a few months of religious eye drops to look forward too, but no big deal really. I'll let you know how i feel in a week or so. Right now my vision is cloudy, but obviously better. I stepped on my porch tonight to look at lights and I'm getting crazy halos, but that's normal and goes away too, hopefully anyway.

So stoked to not have to do contacts this winter. My mild dry eyes coupled with significant astigmatism in one eye made for contacts being a huge PITA.

my wife had it done last year. the only real complaints she had was the dry and scratchy eyes which lasted a long time. she was using drops for months, and those are not cheap since you are not supposed to use the kind with preservatives in em. overall though she is super happy she had it done.

to add, she didn't get the valium to relax you and she was fine

Quote Originally Posted by crackboy View Post
    my wife had it done last year. the only real complaints she had was the dry and scratchy eyes which lasted a long time. she was using drops for months, and those are not cheap since you are not supposed to use the kind with preservatives in em. overall though she is super happy she had it done.

to add, she didn't get the valium to relax you and she was fine
    FYI to anyone reading this, you can get the drops (Refresh Plus, without perservatives: come in little disposable vials) in a 100 pack at Costco for $18. Still not cheap, but better than walgreens. Looks like I'm gonna get put on Restasis, or something like that for the dryness. I hear it's not cheap.

FWIW, I liked Systane eyedrops more than the Refresh Plus or any of the other ones that the LASIK doc had. Seemed to keep my eyes feeling "wetter" longer.

Also, my doc said that I only had to use the individual eyedrop packs (w/o preservatives) for the first month post-LASIK; then it was OK to move to the more convenient (and cheaper) larger bottles. Costco also has larger bottles of Systane for cheap.

yea my wife did systane. she was using preservative free ones the whole time. But after the first 2-3 weeks she went to the big bottles which were cheaper/moe convenient

Damn, they hooked you up with some nice goggles! When I had my LASIK done a few years back the goggles they gave me were so shitty that I ended up wearing my smith prodigys instead.
    I think that the human mind is unique among all other forms of life in that it can spontaneously create unique thoughts and provide unique behaviors. Instead of rewarding that uniqueness we, for some reason probably because of cultural and social necessity, we chastise unique behavior and reward conformity.

remember Into Thin Air, the guy who had lasik died because his eyes failed. Is that still the case these days?

Is that a spider? Holy crap!

BLOOD SWEAT STEEL Guest
    Quote Originally Posted by HausDiesel View Post
    remember Into Thin Air, the guy who had lasik died because his eyes failed. Is that still the case these days?
    RK - different procedure. Old school.

Eye drops

I was on a Systaine test group for post Lasik dry eye. No cigar..

If you want the best get Freshkote:

http://www.freshkote.com/index2.asp

1st Day Post Op: Went in early this morning. 20/15 vision, not bad eh? Eyes still a bit scratchy and irritated, but not any worse than when I had to wear contacts. Vision is still pretty "soft". Halos around lights and bright stuff. I wish I would've made a point to stand somewhere outside with my pre-lasik eyes to see what I could and couldn't see, or how blurry a street sign was. But I can see lots of stuff outside I'm sure I couldn't before without glasses. Now when I put my glasses on it's all blurry and wavy. Still thoroughly satisfied, and I expect that to continue and grow as my eyes heal more.

Quote Originally Posted by HausDiesel View Post
    Beck Weathers - he didn't die - he was the toughest mofo in the book...

Hey bossass how long is recovery before you can ski. I was going to have lasik this summer but had too many fun thngs going on. I want to get it done this month but friends told me you can't ski for like 2-3 months. That would suck. Also, where dd you get it. I am in Portland (west side) and want something close with good track record.

Yes contacts are a PITA. I wear them only for skiing.

Quote Originally Posted by yesIsaidyes View Post
    Beck Weathers - he didn't die - he was the toughest mofo in the book...
    Damn straight. Still alive if I remember correctly. Lost some fingers though. That's a man that doesn't know when to quit.
    Quote Originally Posted by Divebomber View Post
    OR sign it with a fake sig, then later they say "we have your sig!" NO you dont!

Friend of mine had both eyes done in Montreal last year.
    That night, he was really sick from some food and started to puke like mad.
    The pressure from puking made him go blind right on the spot.
    He said he never so scared in his life.
    He ended up fine, but fuckin a! crazy story.

Are those Bugz?

Cause then you could rock them with one of these and fuckin' kill it:

Last edited by MarsB; 11-09-2007 at 05:58 PM. Reason: awesomeness
    Montani Semper Liberi

My lasik went well. I'm about a year and a half post-op. Worth every penny. I'm corrected 20/15 as well. I had a few problems and had to go on Restasis after Tobradex was sending my pressures out of whack, and yes - it's EXPENSIVE. I just use regular wetting drop from Alcon now though - about $15 every couple months (kinda like Refresh I think...). No biggie. Seasonal allergies are still tough on my eyes, and you have to be a little more careful about rubbing them.

You need to be careful about "possible impact" sports for a while, so that would include skiing. I was riding bike that weekend though with no problems other than stopping every 15 minutes to put drops in. My eyes did get dry while skiing last year too - so bring drops.

BTW - the Valium doesn't really help during the procedure, but it does help you to sleep afterward, which is the hey to making it through the first day. My eyes were only mildly uncomfortable after the procedure - like having contacts that get to dry.
    Gravity. It's the law.

Quote Originally Posted by raj View Post
    Hey bossass how long is recovery before you can ski. I was going to have lasik this summer but had too many fun thngs going on. I want to get it done this month but friends told me you can't ski for like 2-3 months. That would suck. Also, where dd you get it. I am in Portland (west side) and want something close with good track record.

Yes contacts are a PITA. I wear them only for skiing.
    Well, full recovery is like 4 months, but I'm pretty sure you can go skiing like a week afterwards. The issues with dryness would be better to have out of the way by ski season, but I'll just have to cart the drops along with me. Doesn't matter, I was using drops very frequently with contacts while skiing anyway.

I got it done at Teplick in Beaverton. Just off 217 on Scholls Ferry, more or less. Let me know if you need a reference. They'd probably give you some money off and I get a gift certificate oregonlaser.com

If you called today, you might not realistically get in for the procedure until mid-december. Although I went from consultation to procedure in one week. Who knows. You'd better do it like now if you are going to. Consultation is free anyway, they'll tell you if you are a canidate or not.

Quote Originally Posted by flyby View Post
    Damn straight. Still alive if I remember correctly. Lost some fingers though. That's a man that doesn't know when to quit.
    more like half his face...