Thread: Road Kill...

Road Kill...

So with daylight wasting time I'm riding home in the dark most nights now. Anybody else have problems running into animals?

Last night on my way home I almst hit the 3rd skunk in like the last 2 months. Little bastard had me all lined up for a dose of the the stank but lucky for me held off just long enough before letting loose.

I've had a few run-ins w/ cats, squirrels and even a couple deer. Fuck that deer woulda hurt. Luckily the only thing I've actually hit thus far has been a lizard and all the bugs in my teeth but I have this sneaking feeling it's just a matter of time...

Seriously though anybody ever try using deer whistles or anything like that? Any luck?
    A good friend would come bail you out of jail. A great friend would be sitting next to you saying..."but damn that was FUN"

Quote Originally Posted by madturtle View Post
    So with daylight wasting time I'm riding home in the dark most nights now. Anybody else have problems running into animals?

Last night on my way home I almst hit the 3rd skunk in like the last 2 months. Little bastard had me all lined up for a dose of the the stank but lucky for me held off just long enough before letting loose.

I've had a few run-ins w/ cats, squirrels and even a couple deer. Fuck that deer woulda hurt. Luckily the only thing I've actually hit thus far has been a lizard and all the bugs in my teeth but I have this sneaking feeling it's just a matter of time...

Seriously though anybody ever try using deer whistles or anything like that? Any luck?
    On the Davis to Sacramento route, I've got to watch for squirrels and rabbits. I haven't hit any rabbits yet, or squirrels on the road bike. When I was riding the recumbent I hit 3 squirrels on one ride (fortunately the recumbent had a 20in 40 spoke front wheel so they just bounced off). In the spring I have to watch for King snakes in the morning.
    "if the city is visibly one of humankind's greatest achievements, its uncontrolled evolution also can lead to desecration of both nature and the human spirit."
    -- Melvin G. Marcus 1979

Duct tape a great white shark to your headtube?

Those fuckers will eat anything.
    Besides the comet that killed the dinosaurs nothing has destroyed a species faster than entitled white people.-ajp

Well, I did run into a HUGE Mt. Lion last week, but no contact, thank FSM.
    Forum Cross Pollinator, gratuitously strident

I bunny hopped a rattler once.

Okay, I don't really know what kind of snake it was, but I definitely bunny hopped that fucker.
    Remind me. We'll send him a red cap and a Speedo.

Quote Originally Posted by bagtagley View Post

Okay, I don't really know what kind of snake it was, but I definitely bunny hopped that fucker.
    Dude it was probably a cobra...a KING cobra. I think that's what nate meant to say too. It's the interweb why not embelish a little?
    A good friend would come bail you out of jail. A great friend would be sitting next to you saying..."but damn that was FUN"

It was totally an aids spitting dragon.
    Besides the comet that killed the dinosaurs nothing has destroyed a species faster than entitled white people.-ajp

I came flyin' around a turn yesterday and almost smacked a deer broadside. The fucker wouldn't move, either - just stood there staring at me until I started shaking my bike at it, and then it just kinda sauntered off... Brazen little guy.

I find it amazing how fast a turd sized animal with like 1/2" legs can run to get out of your way. Sometimes I think they are racing me.

Quote Originally Posted by bagtagley View Post

I was maybe 50 feet behind my buddy a few weekends ago and watched him do the same thing. Don't think it was a rattler though.