Training for first triathlon

Not excatly a perfect fit for sproket rockets forum but close enough.

So the other day I decided to get motivated and train for a short sprint distance triathlon (500 yd pool swim, 13.7 bike leg, 3.1 run). I have never done any endurance type of racing, excluding two time trial races on my road bike last summer. I am not at all worried about the bike leg, it will be my strongest leg by far and the run will not be a problem, but the swim will kill me. I am a sinker for sure.

Since this group is pretty active outdoors I was thinking that maybe someone else here has done a tri and might have some sage words or training ideas for a triathlon JONG.
    fighting gravity on a daily basis

WhiteRoom Skis
    Handcrafted in Northern Vermont
    www.whiteroomcustomskis.com

Learn how to swim.
    Daniel Ortega eats here.

Originally posted by Viva
    Learn how to swim.
    Sage words indeed.

Note to self:

Learn

to

swim

ok got it thanks.

WhiteRoom Skis

Uhhh...and buy a new titanium bike too?

Okay, okay. it's a pool swim so you don't have to worry about training in the ocean or a lake. Get thee to the local pool and swim laps. Pace yourself, find out how much you can do. Can you already make the 500 yard distance? You want to be able to go beyond that in training. Then mix in a few sprints, or whatever you call the swiming equivalent. You might try PMing the AD, he was a former competitive swimer, I believe. Same training with running (only not in the pool). Things may fall apart on you during the race, but at least by knowing you've trained appropriately and can go the distance - you'll have a certain amount of confidence.
    Daniel Ortega eats here.

I don't know if this is cool in a pool swim, but I have a friend just like you who got crushed in his first tri because of the swim. He went out and bought a wet suit and finnished 9th out of like 100 his next time out.
    "If you can dodge a wrench, you can dodge a ball!"

Re: Training for first triathlon

Originally posted by Vinman
    I am a sinker for sure.
    Try this (make sure you get the whistle too)

i found it worth it to get a lesson. got a few tips that helped the technique a long way...also makes you feel like you are not totally flailing when you have stuff to work on.

when is it? if it is 6+ weeks from now, buy a heart rate monitor and train at 65 - 75% of your max heart rate - no matter how slow it is in the beginning.

check active.com for good stuff under triathlon...

edit: hr monitor is for running and biking, not swimming...
    Craig Kelly is my co-pilot.

Buy Your Lift Tickets in Advance and Save

Originally posted by gonzo
    i found it worth it to get a lesson. got a few tips that helped the technique a long way...also makes you feel like you are not totally flailing when you have stuff to work on.
    this helped Mrs. Shoe out a TON last year for her first tri. She was strong biking and running...but only swam when, well, hardly every.

She found a coach, worked with a group once a week, and it really helped her technique out. Max efficiency in the water is key.

...or just buy some swimmies....
    Waste your time, read my crap, at:
    One Gear, Two Planks

Ahhhh 500 is my event the trick is to pace yourself good front crawl and alternate breathing is key in the event you keep it steady you want consistant lap times since you are presumably a swimming JONG shoot for about a minute a lap that'll give you a ten minute first leg

Get out of the pool find your bike throw on a t shirt socks and your bike shoes, bike as fast as you can biking is relitivly easy and a good way to make up time,

get off the bike get the running shoes on a 3.1 k is a veritable sprint, get your legs going fast freaking haul ass your almost there push it finnish then get suitably drunk

good luck, myself I'm doing a half mile open water swim 11 mile bike and 5 k run triatholon this summer, I'll get my ass beat but it should be fun
    Its not that I suck at spelling, its that I just don't care

Down the valley a bit further on the good side of the 49th
    Take lessons, do lots of arms only and lots of legs only and lots of catch up crawl. You want to break the stroke down to feel how to make it efficient. You can get uber fit but a guy with a more efficient stroke will roast you even if he's fat and windless.
    It's not so much the model year, it's the high mileage or meterage to keep the youth of Canada happy

Good advise here. Some of it I am already on top of. 8 weeks until competition. I am having a bit of an informal lesson tomorrow to work on form. I definitely felt like I was flailing yesterday. I have not swam laps in a pool since my freshman year in college some 13-14 odd years ago. I already have the HRM for the bike/run and I am very familiar with HR based training.
    Also having a lactate threshold/ MHR/VO2 max test done by the ex phys prof here at school later this month/early may to be accurate on training zones.

Like I said I think if I can survive the swim and hopefully finish in about 12-13 minutes I can be fine for the rest of the race. The 13.7 mile bike is a time trial distance for me. On a flat course I can probably do that in 31-33 minutes. I am also going to shoot for about 24-26 minutes on the run for a total time of 67-72 minutes. Based on last year's result this would put me in the top 10-15 provided the competition is similar.

CNB: I'm going with the water wings only, the full life preserver suit and whistle would be a bit too noticeable.

Thanks for the info it help to know that I am on the right track.

WhiteRoom Skis