Question Specialized warranty coverage

I happened to read the warranty info from http://www.specialized.com/OA_MEDIA/...ls/06_Demo.pdf (page 24). It says among other things:

LIMITED LIFETIME WARRANTY ON BICYCLE FRAMES AND FRAMESETS
    The lifetime limited warranty is conditioned upon the bicycle being operated under normal conditions and use, and properly maintained. This limited warranty does not apply to paint/finish or components attached to the bicycle/frameset such as front forks, wheels, drive train, brakes, seatpost, handlebar and stem or any suspension related parts or components. Paint/finish, components attached to the bicycle/ frameset such as front forks, wheels, drive train, brakes, seatpost, handlebar and stem or any suspension related parts or components are covered under the limited one (1) year warranty.

LIMITED ONE (1) YEAR WARRANTY ON SUSPENSION ATTACHMENTS & SUSPENSION RELATED EQUIPMENT
    Also subject to the following limitations, terms and conditions, Specialized warrants to the original owner of each new Specialized bicycle or frameset that the suspension attachment points, and suspension related equipment (including pivot points, bushings, shock units, front suspension forks, stays, plates, fasteners) when new are free of defective materials or workmanship. This warranty shall expire one (1) year from the date of the original purchase...

Exactly what is stays in that last paragraph? Chain-stays? Seat-stays? Stay-ups?

chain stays and seat stays

So the rear triangle is not part of the frame according to Specialized? And thus not included in the warranty?

thats the way it reads, IF the bike has rear suspension.

why dont you just give them a call?

99% of the time that's the case. If they have the right part in stock (in a reasonable quantity) they will usually charge a minimal amount just to cover shipping and such as long as it's not an obvious crash/wreck. This of course depends on the relationship your local shop has with them.

Nothing is broken. I just feel a bit robbed buying a bike with a "lifetime frame warranty" (one big reason why I bought it) and then find out that the frame according to the warranty is actually only the front triangle...

I won't likely break it anyway since I'm a lightweight chicken so I guess I should quit whining...

Quote Originally Posted by PeterK View Post
    Nothing is broken. I just feel a bit robbed buying a bike with a "lifetime frame warranty" (one big reason why I bought it) and then find out that the frame according to the warranty is actually only the front triangle...

I won't likely break it anyway since I'm a lightweight chicken so I guess I should quit whining...
    Yeah quit your whining.

I cracked my swinglink in half on my demo 8, and found just a miniscule, developing crack underneath the bottom bracket. Noticed it thursday, had a new frame on monday. They could have easily just sent me a new front triangle.

Also had a cracked chainstay on a 4 year old bike a few years back that got replaced.

There are a few reasons I own 4 bikes by specialized. Their warranty treatment is one of them.

More important than anything is that a bike company calls something a FRONT fork. You know....as opposed to the back one.
    Besides the comet that killed the dinosaurs nothing has destroyed a species faster than entitled white people.-ajp

Quote Originally Posted by kidwoo View Post
    There are a few reasons I own 4 bikes by specialized. Their warranty treatment is one of them.
    Working at a large Specialized dealer has given me the opportunity to see many warranty claims, some of them all out stupid. Their warranty treatment has absolutely blew me away several times.
    All I know is that I don't know nothin'... and that's fine.

I'll bet if you tried really hard you could guess
    I broke a chain stay early this year on my now 3 year old enduro. They went good for it, no questions asked.
    You don't need freerides when you got freeheels

I agree that Specialized is great. I rode Gary Fisher for several years and have broken three of their MTB frames - 2 hardtail and one soft-tail - in 2 out of three situations they took so long that I had to literally find another bike to be able to ride at all.

On the flipside, When I broke a Specialized hardtail MTB, they had a new frame sent out in 10 days. 2 years ago I broke one of the chainstays on a 3-year-old aluminum Allez road frame and in freakin' 4 days they sent me a brand new Columbus steel road frame, complete with a carbon seatpost and carbon forks, without charging me anything but the shipping costs.

Warranty Issue

I have a 1994 Epic Pro Road Bike that still has almost all of the original components on it (everything except peddles and tires). This spring cleaning it up and adjusting all of the components I took it for a short ride around the block and the cable stop for the rear break broke off of the top tube causing me to almost go over the handle bars. The bike is in excellent condition and never been in an accident. The Top Tube of the bike is carbon fiber so it can not be repaired. I took it to the local shop the specialized rep looked at it and they told me that they could use cable casing and not use the stop at all. Not only could this have caused me harm but why are they not offering to replace it? I told them that the offer was not acceptable and to call specialized back.

However the new models have all new components and many of my components will not work. Such as stem, neck, handle bars Fr dérailleur, bottom bracket and breaks. Who is responsible for all of the components?

Quote Originally Posted by Chris@higgins-inc.com View Post
    I have a 1994 Epic Pro Road Bike that still has almost all of the original components on it (everything except peddles and tires). This spring cleaning it up and adjusting all of the components I took it for a short ride around the block and the cable stop for the rear break broke off of the top tube causing me to almost go over the handle bars. The bike is in excellent condition and never been in an accident. The Top Tube of the bike is carbon fiber so it can not be repaired. I took it to the local shop the specialized rep looked at it and they told me that they could use cable casing and not use the stop at all. Not only could this have caused me harm but why are they not offering to replace it? I told them that the offer was not acceptable and to call specialized back.

However the new models have all new components and many of my components will not work. Such as stem, neck, handle bars Fr dérailleur, bottom bracket and breaks. Who is responsible for all of the components?
    PPS

Quote Originally Posted by Benny Profane View Post
    Well, I'm not allowed to delete this post, but, I can say, go fuck yourselves, everybody!

Quote Originally Posted by Chris@higgins-inc.com View Post

PPSWFPH

Besides the comet that killed the dinosaurs nothing has destroyed a species faster than entitled white people.-ajp