Page 1 of 4 1 2 3 4 LastLast

Tahoe peeps...are you gettin worried..?

Just moved to Truckee and bought my Squaw pass. The place is bone dry. Nothing really in the forecast

Is this a normal start for Tahoe?

SHUT THE FUCK UP YOU STUPID FUCKING JONG

Just Grab your fuck sticks and get back in your Porsche, this ain't Deer Valley, you dirty asshat sperm burper!
    Quote Originally Posted by twodogs View Post
    Hey Phill, why don't you post your tax returns, here on TGR, asshole. And your birth certificate.

Quote Originally Posted by Phill View Post

Just Grab your fuck sticks and get back in your Porsche, this ain't Deer Valley, you dirty asshat sperm burper!
    WTF? That's a little much, don't you think?
    “Don’t want to sound like a dick or nothing but it says on your chart you’re fucked up. You talk like a fag, and your shit’s all retarded.”

Phill's doin the roids.
    .....Visit my website. .....

"a yin without a yang"

65 degrees with no clouds or wind and you can't find something to do?

Quote Originally Posted by tahoegnar420 View Post
    Sometimes. Don't worry about it until it's still this way at New Years, then start to worry.
    Quote Originally Posted by Ernest_Hemingway View Post
    I realize there is not much hope for a bullfighting forum. I understand that most of you would prefer to discuss the ingredients of jacket fabrics than the ingredients of a brave man. I know nothing of the former. But the latter is made of courage, and skill, and grace in the presence of the possibility of death. If someone could make a jacket of those three things it would no doubt be the most popular and prized item in all of your closets.

No more Spicolli avatars!!! Freshies, step up and tell these bitches to step off.

Yep -- only one Spicoli in North Lake, at very least.

But yes, of course we're worried. We worry when it doesn't snow. I remember mid-February 2006, when we were really worried because it had barely snowed all season, and it looked like we'd be lucky to make it to the end of March. Then, on February 27, 2006, it started snowing. Six weeks and 450 inches later, it turned out to be a pretty good season after all.

The upshot is that the way that we average both (a) 400-500 inches of snow and (b) 320 days of sun is that when it snows, it dumps. The dumps will come. Patience, grasshopper.
    not counting days 2016-17

Quote Originally Posted by SuperGaper View Post
    No more Spicolli avatars!!! Freshies, step up and tell these bitches to step off.
    Dude, your title rocks.

dopplegangers...

Quote Originally Posted by Phill View Post

amazing.....just amazing
    "Climb the mountains and get their good tidings. The winds will blow their freshness into you, and the storms, their energy. Your cares and tensions will drop away like the leaves of Autumn." --John Muir

"welcome to the hacienda, asshole." --s.p.c.

Just moved to Truckee and bought my Squaw pass. The place is bone dry. Nothing really in the forecast

No, this is not normal. Usually there is lots of snow and all the resorts are open by November 6th. You might want to see if you can get at least a partial refund on your seasons pass because obviously if there isn't a ton of snow by November 6th the entire season is shot.

Sorry, but a ridiculous question deserves a ridiculous answer.
    Quote Originally Posted by Captain Koons View Post
    Amirite? Am I fuckin rite? Somebody testify. Gun held sideways. You want to meet up to ski? Eat a dick, worthless scum jong.

I always head to Utah or Coloraaaadooo for Thanks giving.

Tahoe has exceptional pow days in april

check out the cheap Air Fare on SWA from RNO to SLC

Or its a 7 hour road trip all HWY 80

You jinxed it with your Überghey handle, JONG..

For historical perspective, Squaw had received the same amount of snow or less at this time last season, the season before that, etc. Alpine averages only three feet of snow in November, and not enough before that for the AMNSP to keep track.

As Tony Crocker, prophet of snow, points out:
    California's most distinguishing feature is the highest variability in snowfall of any region in the West. The late 80's to early 90's drought included two seasons, 1987 and 1991, when there was virtually no natural snow on the ground by New Year's Day. Fortunately, the volatility can work the other way, as in the five consecutive years (1981-1985) or the ... 1995 season, with all areas in full operation on a six-foot base by Thanksgiving. Kirkwood turns out to be the most reliable Tahoe ski area, while Mammoth's altitude gives it the best late-season conditions.
    Tony's guide to early season skiing puts the Sierra at the bottom of the recommended list for early season (albeit still on the list):
    Sierra snow tends to arrive in massive dumps, with sustained stretches of sunny and mild weather in between. The volatility of California snowfall means that the major Sierra areas will be close to full operation at Thanksgiving on a 6 foot or higher base in the best 25% of seasons, but will be marginal to poor well past Christmas in the worst 25% of seasons.
    Oh -- and the NOAA is suggesting a pattern shift along the Sierra Crest starting Friday.

So don't panic yet.

Take advantage of the extra time to think up a handle that doesn't make your age quite so clear.
    Last edited by alpinedad; 11-07-2007 at 07:11 AM.
    not counting days 2016-17

Patience young Jedi. Things can turn around very fast in the Sierras.

I believe it was in 2006 (?) we got 5 feet in about 2-1/2 days over a weekend around New Years.

Sure this warm weather and clear skies are hard to take. But it will come, some years better than others, but it will come. In the meantime, check out the NSFW threads in the Padded Room section while your boss is looking over your shoulder.

NSFW = New Skier Fraternal Welcome

Last edited by Jim S; 11-07-2007 at 09:51 AM.
    Every man dies. Not every man lives.
    You don’t stop playing because you grow old; you grow old because you stop playing.

Rooster Guest
    Don't you know? Tahoe is the new Vermont.

Quote Originally Posted by Jim S View Post
    I believe it was in 2006 (?) we got 5 feet in about 2-1/2 days over a weekend around New Years.

i think you're referring to the weekend after x-mas 2005 and the 1st weekend in January 06. you got in half right. we got 4-5ft with the first wave and then 5 feet with the next. That was an amazing time. And not only that, but we had awesome consistent snowfall for the rest of the 06 year.

I will quelch your fears young Jedi (but you never know, I could be wrong too).

The year I moved to Squaw in '97 (from Colorado), there was not a flake by mid Nov. I made plans to go to Thanksgiving at a friends in LA. Sunday before Thanks, it started. I returned to hear about opening day (Wed before TG), with McConkey throwing double backs of kangaroo kicker under Sibo. It was a super sick weekend with 80% of the mountain open (from 1 storm).

I learned my lesson. I was from CO and thought snow had to build, and then you had to ski shitty groomers until Christmas. Instead my opening day I was skiing super sick stuff, and dropping cliffs. Sierra's rock......which is why I am still here!
    Donjoy to the World!

Quote Originally Posted by Jim S View Post
    I think we got 5 feet of rain over New Years 2006. MT Rose got Hammered but most of the areas were getting rain at the base. 04/05 was the big one.

Keep your fingers crossed this high moves out Friday and we at least start getting a little precip.

Having never lived or skied in Tahoe I am going to make a bunch of sweeping generalizations.

1. There will be no snow this year.

2. Except at northstar

3. On One run

have a theory, actually I have many and no this isn't the one about six milk bottles and a tuning fork, this theory is what I call "the bucket".

When Mercermachine and E@L got into their friendly, yet serious jousts, as they tested each others points with riposte and counter-point (see here) I eventually weighed in and in what I felt was an inarticulate way tried to explain my theory...

Basically, I agree with Mercer, there is no such thing as casual sex.

I believe every one has an affection/love/attachment bucket, call it what you will, this bucket needs to be filled with a "bits" of someone for us to feel "in love" for them and the deep seeded* attachment that is associated with such. And it is only once this bucket is full, do we get to a point that we are "in love" with someone.

So how does my theory work...

What I believe happens is that each time you have sex with someone, you get a little attached to them, you get a little closer, they leave a little bit of themselves in your "bucket", so what happens is as you do this more and more with the same person the bucket fills, once it is full, you are attached to them...you develop feelings and the casual nature stops being casual.

So while lots of "casual" nights of fun with different people will create many buckets with a small piece of affection at the bottom of each one, continued contact with one individual will see their bucket fill to a higher level. Which is why, on the surface it appears that casual sex is possible, which is why even the concept of "fuck buddies" appears feasible and possible, and yet is really not, every time you have intimate contact with someone you create a bucket and into that bucket you put affection for that person.

But of course this does not address how some people can have sex with someone for years and not get attached, while in another time and instance the same person can have sex a handful of times and be thinking of "forever". The answer is simple; buckets come in different sizes.

The size of everyone's bucket.

Everyone has a different sized bucket, and every one subconsciously builds a mental bucket of differing sizes for each person we meet. This is based on a number of things, our experience with dating and casual sex, our desire level for that person, their mate-ability quotient (think of this as not just lust but more the subconscious desire to breed with them), their attractiveness, even their personality, their honesty, their fun loving natures, their lies, their taciturn scowl, the halitosis and even the bad smell...all are "weighed up" and from them a bucket is created for the person.

Up until the first time we have sex with a person, we are on a mental level creating a bucket, with which we have to fill with intimate moments before we are "in love", in effect our bucket has to be over flowing for us to truly be in a place where we would do "anything" for someone and that when we say "forever" we actually mean it.

This over flowing level is in effect what Gladwell would call a Tipping Point, it is that point in time when the sex stops being mentally casual (even if it is great) and you look at the person differently, you begin to really imagine life with them, and you start to see the relationship as serious.

It is often at this point that words just leak out, the first vocalised affection spills out as your bucket over-flows...we have all seen it, the first "I love you" spilling past lips, without thought, and the the scared look on someone's face that it might not be returned. And often it isn't. This is simply because the other person has created a bigger bucket for you to fill. What is important here to remember that the size of the bucket someone creates is not always a reflection of you, but more oft their expectations, experience, fantasies and even delusions, while your desirability to them plays a part in bucket size, that desirability is something you cannot change if you are honestly being you...what you have to remember is that once it is created the size of a bucket cannot change.

Now there is a catch, as there always is...which is simply everyone's bucket has a small hole.

The bucket has a hole.

From the moment you share intimacy with someone, each moment of contact (without fighting) adds to the bucket, (remember though, the bucket really doesn't start to fill until you have sex) every shared sexual** moment increases the level in the bucket...but at the same time the level is decreasing through a small hole...when we have regular sexual contact the bucket is topped up...and thus affection is maintained. This is why in the early stages of a relationship you have a lot of sexual contact, to fill each others buckets...while later the affection and love can remain with just a maintenance level of sexual contact.

Now the bucket only has one hole, but it can change size
    Forum Cross Pollinator, gratuitously strident

Should I fuck the bucket then?

'bucketfucker' has a nice ring to it...
    Forum Cross Pollinator, gratuitously strident