Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 1 2 3 LastLast
    Quote Originally Posted by Telski View Post
    It's cheap too!
    Maybe for people that have money $20 for 3 issues is cheap.
    I dont like reading magazines that remind me that i dont have money. like Yachting and Airplane mags.
    shit that says, "the easiest way to get into jackson hole is to get your private jet fueled up, grab your $2000 Palmer Platinum and head for the Four Seasons!"
    maybe its not my demographic. But if it happens to be anyones demographic on this site, i'd be glad to be your friend! (if can i get a ride home for Christmas)

If you guys can sell it, make money, more power to you. There's definitely a market for this type of thing.

Quote Originally Posted by Nanuq View Post
    Just what we need, more WHITE, and I am not talking about the snow.
    You sure have a chip on your shoulder about WHITE. maybe you wouldn't sound like such a whiny douchebag if you explained yourself and what your grand vision for skiing and ski culture is?

Another magazine dedicated to pretentious, assinine, "Mountain Culture" as commodity rag.
    that's different from the rest of the industry how?
    Elvis has left the building

He wants all the people with money to go away and somehow expects the ski areas will stay open.

Didn't that long-gone magazine Snow Country attempt to do this a decade or two ago?

Mags like this should just be controlled circulation... send them for free to doctors offices, health spas, hotels, country clubs and the Yellowstone Club. Load 'em with a ton of advertising and call it a day. I can't imagine they'll sell many subscriptions to this thing but they have a few other titles so they must sorta know almost what they're doing. Maybe they'll pay their writers well. Stranger things have happened.

Quote Originally Posted by iceman View Post
    He wants all the people with money to go away and somehow expects the ski areas will stay open.
    Yup, *BAM* (ala Emeril), you've got me all figured out. Move over Carl Jung and Sigmund Frued, because these guys can do wonders with about a half dozen internet postings and a few extrapolations...actually, shit, FORGET Jung and Freud, move over Kreskin!

You fucking idiots have screwed up every decent town there used to be iin the cess-pool of the American West. Where once it was the domain of independent, freethinking people, it is now nothing more than monuments to hubris, ego and status climbing. And as for "counter-culture" free thinkers or nonconformists, yeah...right...sure...Arc'teryx puts out a new jacket with a different color and the majority of you fleece monkies pee all over yourself clamoring to get it because it's just like the rest of the herd...and then the stickers on the subies, the Burton hats and baggy pants. Please, you idiots don't know shit about actually LIVING in Mountains and going hard. And I have heard this one too, to excuse the herd-metality in the outdoor industry/recreationist thing..."It's a TRIBAL thing..." Yeah, sure, okay Grogg...go and act "triba"l in the new suburbs known as "Mountain Culture" towns.

Nanuq

That was a hilarious rant, "Nanuq", but I didn't screw up any towns, I just condensed what you were saying.

Rooster Guest
    Yup, *BAM* (ala Emeril), you've got me all figured out. Move over Carl Jung and Sigmund Frued, because these guys can do wonders with about a half dozen internet postings and a few extrapolations...actually, shit, FORGET Jung and Freud, move over Kreskin!

You fucking idiots have screwed up every decent town there used to be iin the cess-pool of the American West. Where once it was the domain of independent, freethinking people, it is now nothing more than monuments to hubris, ego and status climbing. And as for "counter-culture" free thinkers or nonconformists, yeah...right...sure...Arc'teryx puts out a new jacket with a different color and the majority of you fleece monkies pee all over yourself clamoring to get it because it's just like the rest of the herd...and then the stickers on the subies, the Burton hats and baggy pants. Please, you idiots don't know shit about actually LIVING in Mountains and going hard. And I have heard this one too, to excuse the herd-metality in the outdoor industry/recreationist thing..."It's a TRIBAL thing..." Yeah, sure, okay Grogg...go and act "triba"l in the new suburbs known as "Mountain Culture" towns.

Nanuq
    This dudes stealing my thunder.

How ironic would it be if it turned out that Nanuq has a $400 five mountain pass?

Nanuq
    Dude, please put the bong down and slowly step away...

Quote Originally Posted by Lone Star View Post
    How ironic would it be if it turned out that Nanuq has a $400 five mountain pass?
    Less ironic than people who work in the industry bitching about a new source of revenue.
    Elvis has left the building

Quote Originally Posted by cj001f View Post
    Less ironic than people who work in the industry bitching about a new source of revenue.
    These types of mags... I.E. Ski dont purchase images or edit. Almost all text is done in house and over 95% of all images are stock courtesy of the resorts being profiled..... Serioust go read the image credits in the last issue of Ski.

yeah, you're all mindless ant farmers playing on the delinquent subculture of the free thinkers....man.
    Cant you see that the way people advertise is directly part of the governments plan to get you to buy in hords of consumer propaganda that in turn keeps the sheep from being able to live in a world where confrentation is the only form of self expression.

MOMMY NEVER HUGGED ME!!!!!!!!

how was that?

maaaan, if I could just put down the pipe for a second, we could, like, have a REVOLUTION, maaaan.

Quote Originally Posted by HotTate View Post
    yeah, you're all mindless ant farmers playing on the delinquent subculture of the free thinkers....man.
    Cant you see that the way people advertise is directly part of the governments plan to get you to buy in hords of consumer propaganda that in turn keeps the sheep from being able to live in a world where confrentation is the only form of self expression.

MOMMY NEVER HUGGED ME!!!!!!!!

how was that?
    That was pretty good. Loved the mindless ant farmers thing...

You've got potential there HotTaint.

Nanuq

HA!

I jsut checked there site out and guess what.... it is Published by the same folks that produce Ski..... go figure.

Nanuq
    Fayhee?

ya know, beer is far more than just the world's most perfect breakfast food.

Not my cup of tea.
    "The idea wasnt for me, that I would be the only one that would ever do this. My idea was that everybody should be doing this. At the time nobody was, but this was something thats too much fun to pass up." -Briggs
    Quote Originally Posted by LeeLau View Post
    Wear your climbing harness. Attach a big anodized locker to your belay loop so its in prime position to hit your nuts. Double russian Ti icescrews on your side loops positioned for maximal anal rape when you sit down. Then everyone will know your radness
    More stoke, less shit.

"Each of these consumers spends more than $2,000 a day on an alpine experience, indulging in five-star accommodations, designer ski wear, fine jewelry, gourmet dining, premium equipment, and private ski instruction."

That certainly nails the TGR demographic!

People forget that most ski resorts lose money on mountain operations, and their main purpose is as a loss leader for real estate operations. The business model for most ski resorts is to bribe the USFS to give away land near the base at far-below-market rates and build lots of condos and timeshares on it. As a day skier, you are generally viewed as an inconvenient annoyance, and at best as local color for condo and timeshare buyers and renters. The only reason they let day skiers on the hill is that their USFS lease mandates public access.

EDIT TO ADD: Please see post 53 for a clarification of the difference between "ski resorts" (the target of the above rant) and "ski areas" (thanks, bklyn).
    Last edited by Spats; 11-07-2007 at 12:19 PM.

Damn Spats. Now I know what a dog turd feels like when someone steps in it.
    [/sad charlie brown music]
    [/jumps out window]

Quote Originally Posted by Spats View Post
    "Each of these consumers spends more than $2,000 a day on an alpine experience, indulging in five-star accommodations, designer ski wear, fine jewelry, gourmet dining, premium equipment, and private ski instruction."

That certainly nails the TGR demographic!

People forget that most ski hills lose money on mountain operations, and their main purpose is as a loss leader for real estate operations. The business model for most ski areas is to bribe the USFS to give away land near the base at far-below-market rates and build lots of condos and timeshares on it. As a day skier, you are generally viewed as an inconvenient annoyance, and at best as local color for condo and timeshare buyers and renters. The only reason they let day skiers on the hill is that their USFS lease mandates public access.
    Sounds plausible, but how do you explain the multitude of ski resorts with no condos, timeshares, cabins, etc?
    Damn shame, throwing away a perfectly good white boy like that

bklyn is offline who guards the guardians?
    Quote Originally Posted by Adolf Allerbush View Post
    Sounds plausible, but how do you explain the multitude of ski resorts with no condos, timeshares, cabins, etc?
    They're not "resorts" they're "ski areas".
    I'm just a simple girl trying to make my way in the universe...
    I come up hard, baby but now I'm cool I didn't make it, sugar playin' by the rules
    If you know your history, then you would know where you coming from, then you wouldn't have to ask me, who the heck do I think I am.

Quote Originally Posted by bklyn View Post
    They're not "resorts" they're "ski areas".
    thank you. I'm retarded. Continue.
    Damn shame, throwing away a perfectly good white boy like that

Quote Originally Posted by Lone Star View Post
    HAHAHA...hahahahhHAHAHAHahahahahaa...oh god, yes...my sides...oh FUCK, make it stop...okayokay...catching my breath now...HOOOOFFFF...

Yes, that was a good laugh. Needed that.

But, chief, it really wouldn't be "irony." It would actually border on near impossible, you know impossible like in the same way as ...I dunno...impossible in that your birth was made possible by a loving union between your tender, loving and caring father and mother, and not as the result of a broken condom and a drunken frat prank gone wrong.

Nanuq