Page 2 of 5 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 LastLast

Thread: Alta 1974

bklyn is offline who guards the guardians?
    Quote Originally Posted by Prindle_16 View Post
    I reckon one of those Swedes skis at Deer Valley these days
    I reckon he's not the real Stein Erickson who was born before 1930 at least, he would have been a noticeably older guy in 1974.

Quote Originally Posted by bklyn View Post
    "A classic powder day from the 1973-74 Ski season at Alta Utah. The film stars, "The Swedes": Lowell (Rock) Nelson, Mark (Stein Erikson) Johnson and Wes (the Bird) Lindahl. We skied ~100 days on a $135 seasons pass."

Are any of those guys still skiing there?
    Last edited by bklyn; 01-20-2008 at 08:12 AM.
    I'm just a simple girl trying to make my way in the universe...
    I come up hard, baby but now I'm cool I didn't make it, sugar playin' by the rules
    If you know your history, then you would know where you coming from, then you wouldn't have to ask me, who the heck do I think I am.

/hands Splat his own fucking tissue

Aren't you gonna change the shirt too?

Thanks bklyn. Some shows you can watch over and over again.

thanks blyn - I hadn't seen it either...great stuff. Watching that just felt like home. Wasn't even quite born yet...
    I'm so hardcore, I'm gnarcore.

I'm 100% certain I could pull those pants off
    Points on their own sitting way up high

Quote Originally Posted by MacDaddy View Post
    I'm 100% certain I could pull those pants off
    I'm 100% certain that no one wants to see that.

great vid, love that old hippy tune. In case anyone wonders: "Shambala" by Three Dog Night
    ‹^› ‹(•¿•)› ‹^›

classic lines, old school skis, and POW.

that was fucking awesome.
    Balls Deep in the 'Ho

Damn, that was the year I stated skiing, would take me 10 more for my first Alta trip. I'm tearin up a little combo of the video and the tune. That sincerely made my day, hell my week! Thanks for posting that!

Jay
    Five minutes into the drive and you're already driving me crazy...

Reminds me of what it was like to ski powder on my old Salomon Equipes. That is, with more 70s steeze and less wheezing fat kid trying to put his skis back on in 4 feet of fresh under the Jersey Cream lift line while trying to ignore the laughter above.

Man, that brought back memories so I thought I should toss that song on the iPod but seems I only have it on an album. Hello iTunes, now my kids are running though the house singing "Oooh, Oooh, Shambala".

Thanks again, now think I'll throw some wax on my old 207 Rossi's and hope for some better weather.

Jay
    Five minutes into the drive and you're already driving me crazy...

Sweet post

It's very cool to see how powder skiing is pretty much exactly the same as it was back then.

Yes, the pleasure of powder remains exactly the same as it was in 1974. Never thought I'd say this, but Three Dog Night is going on my nano.

time to take out the old sticks and try again with them!
    it has to be fun.

There is one short clip in there with the camra man skiing fakey. I don't even know what kind of defice would have been used to film this (I wasn't even a baby sperm), but it had to be kind of bulky.

great sufi ski tune....

from wikipedia..

The song is about the mythical kingdom of Shambala, said to be hidden somewhere within or beyond the peaks of the Himalayas and mentioned in various ancient texts including the Kalachakra Tantra and ancient texts of Tibetan Buddhism.

Shambala is also a theme in Sufism, and it is through songwriter Daniel Moore's interest in this tradition that the notion of Shambala became the song discussed here.

The lyrics refer to a situation where kindness and cooperation are universal, joy and good fortune abound, and psychological burdens are lifted:

Wash away my troubles, wash away my pain
    With the rain in Shambala
    Wash away my sorrow, wash away my shame
    With the rain in Shambala [...]
    Everyone is helpful, everyone is kind
    On the road to Shambala
    Everyone is lucky, everyone is so kind
    On the road to Shambala [...]
    How does your light shine, in the halls of Shambala?

While the lyrics include the refrain "in the halls of Shambala", much of the song actually refers to "the road to Shambala", perhaps alluding to the idea of Shambala not as a physical place but as a metaphor for the spiritual path one might follow.

wow, simply put, that vid makes me happy

that video almost made me forget that i wore shorts and a t-shirt today in NOVEMBER!!!!

That shit was beautiful, i think i'm gonna cry!!! Someone burn some leaves, some skis, burn something, anything, dance with your pants off, anything to get ullr to wake his ass up!!!

Rasputin is online now Полые тростник на ветру
    Quote Originally Posted by foreal View Post
    Who needs fat skis anyway?
    The gapers who couldn't ski pow without them.

That was the year before I started skiing, and I recall mom talking about riding the chair on Mt. Hood, with her skis on the snow part of the way up the lift.
    Last edited by Rasputin; 11-07-2007 at 02:16 AM.

Meh. Back seat.

Seriously: awesome stuff. Those rhythmic, sinking turns were what got me addicted to skiing real pow, starting in 1983 in Val d'Isere... hiking 45 minutes out along a ridge to get first tracks in ten feet of pow on my 190 K2 610 FOs. Looking forward to getting that rhythm going again in a couple of months... but this time, on a pair of 195 Praxis.
    not counting days 2016-17

Quote Originally Posted by Rasputin View Post
    The gapers who couldn't ski pow without them.

That was the year before I started skiing, and I recall mom talking about riding the chair on Mt. Hood, with her skis on the snow part of the way up the lift.
    In the winter of 68-69 (the record winter in these parts), I remember riding chair 1 at Schweitzer where they had trenched out part of the chairline for the chair riders to go through. The snow was about 3 feet deeper than the lift could handle. Unfortunately, it was only my second year on skis and I didn't have a clue how to ski powder and basically gaped the whole season. That video is a pretty cool tribute to those kinds of seasons. C'mon Ullr, cough up the goods this year!

Quote Originally Posted by foreal View Post
    Nice. Who needs fat skis anyway?
    Agreed, the face shots at the beginning make a good case for skinny skis.

...I guess the backseat at the end answers the question.

A clean "backseat" was hip at the time. Jetsticks helped. A new era of boots that were made of some funky new age stuff called "plastic" instead of leather and also begining to be taller than just above the ankle.

"...some buddies learned this stunt on mescaline: "You hear music and when you jump man, you stay up a long, long time."

Quote Originally Posted by GoldMember View Post
    I never had the pants but I had a jacket that looked reeeeeally similar to that; a dark blue Roffe "wet-look" that was very

That video looks similar to some super 8 footage we shot up at Red in about 1975 or 76. Fun to watch the old school shit. And yes, for all you non-believers, we actually did ski powder like that on skis that were less than 80 mm in width, a LOT of powder. And it was fun.
    Funny stuff and GREAT old video... I think Easy Rider was on their fashion mind. In 1974 I had a Roffe jacket and wore a custom painted (by me) red, white and blue helmet. Those pants would have been the finishing touch!
    Screw the net, Surf the backcountry!

Quote Originally Posted by BigDaddy View Post
    Funny stuff and GREAT old video... I think Easy Rider was on their fashion mind. In 1974 I had a Roffe jacket and wore a custom painted (by me) red, white and blue helmet. Those pants would have been the finishing touch!
    I call bullshit no one wore a helmet in 1974. We didn't wear seat belts, have car seats for kids or wear helmets when riding our bikes. I don't know how we survived to adolescent adulthood.