Page 4 of 9 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 LastLast
    gloves=dropped

talking about fighting, last night I read an article in FHM about a senior league in Quebec that is run by the Hell's Angles. Most of the players are only paid travel expensis, but the leagues top fighters take home a grand a game in cash. Most of them have prison records. The league rules "limit" players to two fights a game, as long as they remove gloves and helmets. The article said "coaches did not criticize players for bad play, but rather for loosing fights." Sounds interesting.

Yeah the Isles came to play tonight.
    Insominia is my new hobby.

Tampa needs to start dumping the puck, the Isles trap is to effective tonight.

WOW does that guy have some jets or what? I spoke to soon?

And again! Go Lighning.

Originally posted by PaSucks
    gloves=dropped

talking about fighting, last night I read an article in FHM about a senior league in Quebec that is run by the Hell's Angles. Most of the players are only paid travel expensis, but the leagues top fighters take home a grand a game in cash. Most of them have prison records. The league rules "limit" players to two fights a game, as long as they remove gloves and helmets. The article said "coaches did not criticize players for bad play, but rather for loosing fights." Sounds interesting.
    Ya, thats an awesome article. Link Gaetz used to be one of my favorite players when he was with the Sharks. He was actually playing some senior hockey here after he left the NHL.

And they talk about the guy that Ogie is based on (Bill Goldthorpe) and some guys that play hockey with my dad used to play with/against him. I thought that would be cool to say you played against the guy who Ogie is based on.
    Yep, seen this before. Crazy liquor & cheeseburger party got out of control.

Anyone else hear this??

SPRINGFIELD, Ill. (Ticker) -- St. Louis Blues center Mike Danton was arrested Friday morning and charged with participating in an alleged murder-for-hire plot.

In a statement, the FBI said Danton was apprehended in San Jose, where the Blues were eliminated Thursday night from the Western Conference quarterfinals by the Sharks.

Danton's arrest came one day after an alleged accomplice, 19-year-old Katie Wolfmeyer of Florissant, Missouri, was taken into custody in Brentwood, Missouri.

According to U.S. Attorney Ronald J. Tenpas of the Central District of Illinois, Danton and Wolfmeyer conspired to hire someone to kill an acquaintance with whom Danton quarreled Tuesday night.

The criminal complaint said the argument involved "promiscuity and use of alcohol" by Danton, who "begged the acquaintance not to go to [Blues general manager Larry Pleau] ... and ruin his career."

Wolfmeyer allegedly assisted Danton in finding a prospective killer. That unidentified person cooperated with the FBI, whose agents taped incriminating telephone calls, authorities said. No one was injured.

Each count carries a maximum penalty of 10 years imprisonment and a fine up to $250,000.

Danton, 23, had seven goals, five assists and a team-leading 141 penalty minutes in 68 games in his first full NHL season.

A native of Brampton, Ontario, Danton was suspended during the 2001-02 season by New Jersey Devils general manager Lou Lamoriello for failing to report to the minor leagues. Danton sat out most of the previous season following a disagreement over a medical diagnosis.

A 2000 fifth-round draft pick, Danton legally changed his name from Mike Jefferson.

© 2004 SportsTicker Enterprises, LP
    Skiing, where my mind is even if my body isn't.

St. Louis is the MANG! What a shot, he has a friggen cannon! I'm pullin for the Lightning to win it all, their style of play is too much fun to watch.

p.s. I saw that thing about Danton, that is fucked up.

PaSucks, look at you giving play by play. Take it to the padded room, post padder!!!!

tippster, as a lifelong Flyer fan, I just want to let you know. I heart Ron Hextall. Still have a t-shirt with him on it. Hater.
    More fucked up than a cricket in a hubcap

Move over Forsberg, the best player on earth is #26 for the Tampa Bay Lightning.

It's late and I want to cain you with a stik for that comment.

WTF? R u kidding, peter, the fucking man Forsberg, are you high, the guy is freaking houdinin on skates, no one has beter puck control that is currently in the league. C'mon, Peter the great, no way, he's the man, fors, will slay it!!!!
    Skiing, where my mind is even if my body isn't.

St. Louis and Foresberg are two totally different players. What Forsberg does with strength, St. Louis does with speed and grace. Not to say that Foresberg doesn't have great hands and good speed, nor to say that St. Louis has no power, I am just saying that it is like comparing apples and oranges. St. Louis is a sharpshooter, more a finesse player, while Foresberg is the typical power foreward, he is more like a bull with hands of silk, while St. Louis is like a hawk, strong, but small and fast as shit.

Did anyone see him in the skills competition before the allstar game? In the team relay he erased a half-ice deficit and zig-zagged the cones with only one hand on his stick. The guy is greased lightning.

Did anyone see him in the skills competition before the allstar game? In the team relay he erased a half-ice deficit and zig-zagged the cones with only one hand on his stick. The guy is greased lightning.

Yeah, that was fun to watch.

I don't think I'd call Forsberg a "power forward". He doesn't really fall into any category because he's very unique. I think only a handful of players have ever been as (or more) creative play makers. Often when it looks like he's got nothing, he finds a seam for unexpected passes that even fool his teammates sometimes. And yeah, I know he has a flair for the dramatic and often comes up big when it matters most.

But there's someone else out there now who also does all of the above. Except he does it faster. Just watch more games and you'll see it - unless you're too biased and stubborn. St Louis is the only current player who is just as creative with the puck as Forsberg. He does the same thing - looks like he's about to get pummeled, then all the sudden Freddy Modin is receiving a pass and sent on a breakaway. Have you paid attention to what a pest St Louis is when he doesn't have the puck? No one in the the NHL is better at picking pockets or battling for loose pucks along the boards. He's just a little guy, but invariably is the one who ends up with possession coming out of the corners. He dives to block shots. And he finishes checks, often knocking down guys that outweigh him by 70 or 80 pounds.

Sorry Caddy, but St Louis skates faster than Forsberg(A LOT faster), shoots harder, passes just as well, stick handles like a wizard and he comes to play every single game. Forsberg is not durable at all. I think you have to play more than half of your team's games to be considered the best on the team, let alone the league. Sakic carried that team this season, as he does every season.
    Last edited by duph; 04-17-2004 at 11:53 AM.

Originally posted by duph
    ... I think you have to play more than half of your team's games to be considered the best on the team, let alone the league. Sakic carried that team this season, as he does every season.
    We'll talk as soon as everyone in the league tries to squish St. Louis every time he's on the ice. Forsberg has to constantly battle the other team's goon, St. Louis doesn't...YET. As soon as he get's a few years' worth of rep under his belt everyone will be holding, boarding, and slashing him as well. That's when you need size and strength. No matter how fast you are, you need strength when you're hauling around an extra person constantly like Forsberg is. The fact that he is still able to play at all, let alone be the MANG in every game he plays, is testament to the magnificence which is Peter the Great.

You're right - apples & oranges.

Originally posted by Tippster
    We'll talk as soon as everyone in the league tries to squish St. Louis every time he's on the ice. Forsberg has to constantly battle the other team's goon, St. Louis doesn't...YET. As soon as he get's a few years' worth of rep under his belt everyone will be holding, boarding, and slashing him as well. That's when you need size and strength. No matter how fast you are, you need strength when you're hauling around an extra person constantly like Forsberg is. The fact that he is still able to play at all, let alone be the MANG in every game he plays, is testament to the magnificence which is Peter the Great.

You're right - apples & oranges.
    That already is happening. The fact that no one can hit him doesn't mean they aren't trying. It's not like he's some kind of secret weapon, EVERYONE knows about him. Every great player has to put up with the abuse that Forsberg does. Gretzky actually had players shadowing him for most of his career. But was he injured every single year? Hell no. You think other teams weren't trying to hit him at every turn? Of course they were, but Gretz was slippery and sly and rarely ever got hit hard. Very similar is St Louis. You can't hit what you can't catch. That's probably Forsbergs biggest weakness, he needs to be better at being "slippery", otherwise he'll keep getting hurt and missing significant amounts of games.

Edit - If we were comparing Larry Bird to Joe Montana, that would be apples & oranges. We're talking about two NHL players in today's game. The comaprison is completely valid.

Edit Edit - Just to clarify. I'm not trying "hate on Forsberg" either. If I owned a team, I'd want both of them on the first line. Can you imagine how explosive that would be?
    Last edited by duph; 04-17-2004 at 12:37 PM.

(Disclaimer: Not picking a fight, just havin' fun.)

No, I'm pretty fucking certain that there was an "understanding" in the league NOT to hit Gretzky. I've seen plenty of "Biography" style stories on the Great One where the heavy hitters of his day pretty much admitted that they were "discouraged" by league officials, coaches, and other players to lay a hurtin' on him. Even that fucking Cherry-Picker Lemieux (I say that with all due respect from a life-long Caps Fan) was hurt more than Gretzky, and that's saying something. (No, I'm not talking about his disease.) Naturally the league wanted Gretzky healthy and playing in every possible game - he was to Hockey what Tiger Woods later became for Golf. Both spread "the gospel," if you will, to a larger audience. The NHL didn't want to lose money as a WHOLE. Shows you just how HUGE he was.

Forsberg is too big, and admittedly too slow, to be "slippery." That's fine by me - St. Louis, Sakic and Peca can be those kind of guys, Peter is simply the paragon of an NHL player - big, strong, tough, and fucking great - In my opinion.

Although if you guys had said "Iginla" instead of "St. Louis" we'd be in agreement. That Dude's the FUTURE. He's amazing.

Originally posted by Tippster
    (Disclaimer: Not picking a fight, just havin' fun.)

Hey, no need for the disclaimer. I'm with ya. Nothing wrong with a little debating.

Can't really comment much about Iginla - haven't seen him enough to know much about him, other than he seems to be a pure goal scorer. Good to see young players tearing it up like that. Looks like the near future holds a return to more offensive and exciting play than what has been dominating hockey for the last decade.

Edit - I haven't seen any of the bios you mentioned, but I did grow up watching Hockey Night in Canada and saw the Oilers on TV quite a bit. It never looked like anyone was "laying off" Gretzky to me. If anything he received more attention than any other player - for obvious reasons. At least once a game, usually several times, he would sidestep at the last moment while some 220 pound freight train came crashing hard and hitting nothing but boards; looking foolish trying to hit the Great One. Then Gretzky would set up a goal or score himself. It happened all the time.

Perhaps later in his career when he'd already passed Howe in points, maybe then he got special treatment, but certainly not when he was establishing himself. I remember the Islanders tried to pound on him as much as possible when they played Edmonton in the finals two consecutive years. They did shut him down the first time, but they certainly never connected on the big hits they were trying for. Second time around he ripped them apart.
    Last edited by duph; 04-17-2004 at 02:24 PM.

Ok, if you were the best breakaway goal scorer, you would cherry pick too. Although he was fast enough, despite many people's opinion to the contrary, that he didn't need to cherry pick too often. Case in point, the goal I mentioned earlier when he dragged the puck through Borques legs and scored on Moog in the semi's. And most of Lemuix's brilliance was not due to cherry picking, his major threat was in sustained pressure situations. So to call him a cherry picker is just wrong.

... So to call him a cherry picker is just wrong.
    Dude! Are you TRYING to make me lose my season tickets? If calling one of the greatest hockey players I'll ever see personally a cherrypicker ... because he single-handedly knocked my home team out of more Stanley Cup Playoffs than any other player ever ... is wrong then I don't wanna be right!

Turco sucked ass today. It was inevitable the Avs would win though. Svatos is a secret weapon.

Hey PaSucks, don't get too sensitive about a Caps fan hating Mario. It's just natural after all, he did torment that team. You could make a strong case that Lemieux was/is the 2nd best ever. Playing with Hodgekins disease, beating it and winning scoring titles throughout is impressive to say the least. What could he have done if he wasn't sick? When he and Gretzky played together during the Canada cup, beating the Soviets, that was magical. Some of the plays they connected on were ludicrous.
    Last edited by duph; 04-17-2004 at 04:33 PM.

Manomanoman... Esche was a goddamn wall today! Props to the playoff Rookie! ByeBye, reigning Champs!

Game 7.

Boston Vs. Les Habs

Will the Bruins improve their lifetime series wins to 8 or will Les Habs make it 23.

Originally posted by fridge
    Ya, thats an awesome article. Link Gaetz used to be one of my favorite players when he was with the Sharks. He was actually playing some senior hockey here after he left the NHL.

And they talk about the guy that Ogie is based on (Bill Goldthorpe) and some guys that play hockey with my dad used to play with/against him. I thought that would be cool to say you played against the guy who Ogie is based on.
    Coach we're just Foiling up.

flyers win!!! schweet.

Friend of mine takes the pics for the flyers home games. Said that Primeau gave Colin White the stink palm here at the end of the game.

http://images.comcast-spectacor.com/...tory//9303.JPG

oh yeah, avs won too, that was a nice blowout.
    More fucked up than a cricket in a hubcap

Originally posted by duph
    You could make a strong case that Lemieux was/is the 2nd best ever. Playing with Hodgekins disease, beating it and winning scoring titles throughout is impressive to say the least.
    I agree. I think he had as much talent as Gretzky, he had as much of an impact on every game he played in as Gretzky, but because of his relative fragility you can't hold him as high as Gretzky. It's a shame he had the back problems, he would have probably had numbers comparable to Wayne's, and the Pens would maybe have a few more cups.

"Coach we're just Foiling up."- awesome movie. My parents grew up in Johnstown, and were at a dance in some hotel in town. They got bored and wandered into the lobby, where they saw Paul Newman getting out of an elevator, so they went up and talked to him. He invited them up to a party he was having in his room and spent the rest of the night partyin with the cast.

"This fucking machine ate my quarter!"