The Quiver Equation (navel gazing alert?)

Printable View

Show 40 post(s) from this thread on one page
Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast
I only bring a narrower ski when it's firm.
Quote:

• What about a ~120 underfoot ski that is surprisingly good on firm snow?
  • dingdingding

Quote:

• I notice a lot of us have multiples in the 115 - 120mm powder ski category. Is it more than waist width? Do you have multiple shapes/design intents mixed with waist width?
  • I'll ski the Downs some days, slightly narrower (116 mm I think waist), I don't have it figured out yet, it skis stiffer.
    Quote:

• Are we looking at moisture content, temperature, wind speed? What makes you grab one of your overlaps over the other?
  • No.
    Quote:

• Does anyone have multiple lengths of the same ski?
    My son has a pair of 190s, but I never ski them.
  • Quote:

For fun, list your quiver and let us know how you have segmented things, and your rationalization.
    200 cm DPS Lotus 120 is the DD, only ditched on firm days.
    190 Volkl Buddha Explosiv for firmer days.
    196 Down Countdown for firmer days to ski fast.
    210 Dynamic VR27 Super G skis for longboard day.
  • 11-22-2020, 08:09 AM
    Buster Highmen
    Something broke.
  • 11-22-2020, 08:14 AM
    2FUNKY
    What would you grab? :
    192 Protest.

1: my hill is a pain for swap outs, long ass gondola to the top so I rarely bring two.
    2: not sure but I think I added that ski this year so we will see.
    3: that’s the 191 Lhasa Fat. It comes out when I want a different pow ride or when the wind is depositing snow in stashes and the rest of the hill is firm or soft chop. Fuck they kill those conditions.
    4: absolutely a shape dealio.
    5: I am. High density snow, upside down snow, light crust Protest no question about it. Again, wind deposited conditions with firm snow areas to get there and firm chopped groomers to get back, Lhasa Fat.
    6: 192 4flex Protest and 188 stock flex Protest. Both have their time and place, early season conditions when speed are in check due to hidden hazards and the potential for base contact on rocks/ wood, 188’s. Once things get covered and it’s game on hair on fire type pow skiing, 192’s all damn day.
  • 11-22-2020, 08:15 AM
    El Chupacabra
    I am still seeking that one ski - the "travel ski" - that's got edge hold like a GS ski for the firm groomer days, but can also be just floaty enough to be fun in shallow pow (say, 6" storm falls while on a trip), and also handle the cut up crud resulting from the shallow storm. Thinking this should be around 185-190cm, 100-105mm waist, tip rocker, some camber, directional. Not a fan of forward mount point skis.

At home I'd just pick a ski for likely conditions. Traveling, I don't want to haul more than two pairs.

Closest things I've got are a 187 Blizzard Titan Argos for the do it all ski (105 waist), but it's very heavy, minimal tip rocker, flat camber, so it's kind of dead on hard pack and some work to ski. Also a 192 DPS RPC 115 hybrid, which is a great pow + post pow crud ski (good pick for bringing on trip expecting pow days), yet surprisingly good on hard pack. It's a bit too wide for all day groomer skiing - torques my knees around too much.
  • 11-22-2020, 08:30 AM
    TAFKALVS
    I'm liking the ski family quivers.

Me, I have tried to segment by design intent/skiing style.

Modern/Loose:
    (This spot is reserved for a 98mm ski that I haven't connected with yet)
    Mfree 108
    Mfree118 (Billygoat for several years)
    202 Lotus 138 Flex 2 Rocker 3.2

Traditional/Locked:
    Speedzone 12
    Mpro99
    Pro Rider 105
    Bodacious

Problem for me (and the reason for starting this thread) is that I could grab any of those skis (except the speedzone) and have a good time.

I personally don't like to swap skis during the day, as it throws off my groove. But I'll do it if I misjudged conditions.

The traditional skis tend to get grabbed when the visibility is good and the snow is more set up. Open terrain.

Loose skis are what I grab when visibility is poor and terrain is tight.

10x underfoot is the linchpin of my quiver. It's always been there: Sir Francis Bacon > Movement Goliath > Movement Trust > Fischer Watea 106 > Cham 107 > Pro Rider > Cham 107 2.0 > Legend x106 > Cham 107 hm > Mfree108

I find this width to be quite versatile and if skied in Europe it'd probably all I'd mess with having since my (limited) experience with skiing there is that skiing is much more about travel then the turns themselves.

Here in America it's all about the turns and maximizing vertical consumption, which is where I feel optimization by turn shape and conditions is way more important.
  • 11-22-2020, 08:40 AM
    tuco
    Buster-wanna replace those LBD sticks w/ some Dynamic VR27 220 DH boards?
  • 11-22-2020, 08:57 AM
    Buster Highmen
    Quote:

Originally Posted by tuco View Post
    Buster-wanna replace those LBD sticks w/ some Dynamic VR27 220 DH boards?

I'd love the 220s, but I'm hanging onto the super gees.
  • 11-22-2020, 09:14 AM
    utagonian
    Quote:

Originally Posted by El Chupacabra View Post
    I am still seeking that one ski - the "travel ski" - that's got edge hold like a GS ski for the firm groomer days, but can also be just floaty enough to be fun in shallow pow (say, 6" storm falls while on a trip), and also handle the cut up crud resulting from the shallow storm. Thinking this should be around 185-190cm, 100-105mm waist, tip rocker, some camber, directional. Not a fan of forward mount point skis.

At home I'd just pick a ski for likely conditions. Traveling, I don't want to haul more than two pairs.

Closest things I've got are a 187 Blizzard Titan Argos for the do it all ski (105 waist), but it's very heavy, minimal tip rocker, flat camber, so it's kind of dead on hard pack and some work to ski. Also a 192 DPS RPC 115 hybrid, which is a great pow + post pow crud ski (good pick for bringing on trip expecting pow days), yet surprisingly good on hard pack. It's a bit too wide for all day groomer skiing - torques my knees around too much.

Have you tried an MX98?
  • 11-22-2020, 09:24 AM
    El Chupacabra
    Quote:

Originally Posted by Utagonian View Post
    Have you tried an MX98?

I haven't skied any Kaestles.
  • 11-22-2020, 09:30 AM
    tuco
    Quote:

Originally Posted by Buster Highmen View Post
    I'd love the 220s, but I'm hanging onto the super gees.

They actually belong to my brother, but I guarantee he'll never use them again. Mounted w/ ESS VAR 1018's, which are better suited to surf the landfill than snow......
  • 11-22-2020, 09:31 AM
    tang
    Quiver., live in CO...
    (no groomer ski)
    k2 mindbender 108 (mounted with Shifts to also be travel ski)
    4frnt ehp's - 186 and 193 (old, but still use alot)
    line super natural 115 (picked up cheap, jury still out)
    BC skis...
    4frnt raven (winter bc)
    blizzard zero g 85 (spring/summer bc)
    Are you doing hot swaps as the conditions change? If so, how many swaps would you do in a day? No, other than having a back up pair in case ski/binding blows up
    What happens when you end up with a 108 underfoot ski that punches above its width? I'm hoping new mindbender 108 are this
    What about a ~120 underfoot ski that is surprisingly good on firm snow? My old EHPs are kind of this... surprisingly good in all but really hard groomers
    I notice a lot of us have multiples in the 115 - 120mm powder ski category. Is it more than waist width? Do you have multiple shapes/design intents mixed with waist width? I've got old EHP (116 width) and Super Natural 115
    Are we looking at moisture content, temperature, wind speed? What makes you grab one of your overlaps over the other? Just snow report
    Does anyone have multiple lengths of the same ski? Yes, 186 and 193 EHP, but longer one not mounted up
  • 11-22-2020, 10:19 AM
    gregL
    I pretty much always pack my 188 Rustler 11's. If more than 6" of fresh is probable, I'll throw in my pow ski (currently the Season Eqpt Forma). If there's 2-4" of new snow I will throw in my "all mountain" ski, currently a Bonafide 97. If it hasn't snowed in a week or so, I might throw in my FIS GS skis. I may never stop to switch skis but if I do it is usually only once a day - not hard from Alpental Lot 4, pain in the ass parked 2/3 of the way back in B Lot at Crystal. Touring, I look at the telemetry and just pick a width from 105, 95, or 85.

Edit: I had the Rustler 11 in both 188 and 180 last year, with Shifts on the 180 as a travel ski, but not this year - 180 feels too short for most of what I do, and the rig was too heavy for my touring tastes.
  • Show 40 post(s) from this thread on one page
    Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast