PDA

View Full Version : Concussed

jayfrizzo
04-10-2004, 11:01 PM
Buddy of mine got pretty concussed dirt jumping today. Someone built up the doubles at Tanner quite a bit on the "small" line (which I still haven't done all of and won't go near since being rebuilt).

Anyhow, it's a 6-pack, another 6-pack, then a step-up at the end. The first jump in the second sixer was made SUPER lofty, and my buddy had been working on it quite a bit. He was riding it with a couple BMX kids, and was the first to hit it smooth. We all shouted out "yeah!" and on the next double in the line he cased his front wheel -- one he's done probably a hundred times before -- and went down hard.

I was right there and ran over to him and he was kinda lolling around super disoriented. Blank look on his face, not saying anything. He never lost conciousness but after about 10 seconds he said he was seeing stars.

For the next 20-30 minutes he asked me what happened every 30 seconds or so, then said it was like being stoned, then asked if his bike was broken. After 30 minutes of this I called 911 to get some advice, and they sent an ambulance over. In retrospect, I maybe shoulda just called his wife to come take us to the hospital, but I just talked to her and 3 hours later he's still asking the same questions over and over so I think the hospital one way or another was definetly a good idea. And he's got insurance so he's not gonna hoof the ambalam bill.

Anyhow, I feel bad for him. He's just coming off a broken shoulder and it was cool to see him slaying the DJs so soon. I'm sure he'll be fine. Just sucks to see your buddy hurt.

J-

Big Hit77
04-11-2004, 08:18 PM
Thats sounds pretty gnarly. Hope your bud comes out of his concussion ok. Usually as long as you haven't had a lot of other ones most folks are usually ok. Hopefully it won't scare him off the bike, but it doesn't sound like it will. Tis the season for crahses and injuries and carnage i think. I Hit a smallish gap today, (10 feet or so) and my front wheel hit a root and sent me careening toward a tree. My bike took the brunt of the impact and I taco-ed my Singletrack on the front, but my body kept going forward and i ripped the seat off the rails, and then the rails grabbed my inner thigh taking a chink of skin with them. It looked and sounded bad, and it feels like i got my boys smashed in a door, but i am still in one piece..have a tacoed rim, a dented frame and a broken seat but i am still fairly unbroken. Just remember, Stay Away from trees...they don't like it when you run into them.

bagtagley
04-11-2004, 08:30 PM
Originally posted by Big Hit77
Just remember, Stay Away from trees...they don't like it when you run into them.

Trees don't seem to mind so much, it's your bones that don' t like the trees.

Sucks about your boy, J. Hope he heals fast.

hev
04-11-2004, 10:01 PM
harsh. definately needed to get him to the hospital it sounds like, but I am sure he'll be back at it.

it really does suck seeing people you know get hurt on the jumps. a buddy of mine here likes to dirt jump alot and also kills it on tele skis. he is lucky(and good) enough to do some filming in AK in the spirng. he was supposed to leave this weekend for a heli trip with points north. he was just riding the small rhythim set, and couldn't hold onto his line; came up short and put his arm out. he broke his arm pretty bad, and knew right away he had blown his trip. :(