PDA

View Full Version : The 29 inch wheel

Phil
04-10-2004, 04:18 PM
I'm looking into building another extended bike trip and am considering a 29 inch wheel set-up

I'm looking to compare the bikes out there.

So far I know about

Gary Fisher
Moots
Surly

Anybody know of other options ?

Crinkle
04-10-2004, 04:24 PM
don't know much about them, but i bet you can find a bunch of info here (http://forums.mtbr.com/forumdisplay.php?f=61)

mntlion
04-10-2004, 08:46 PM
I think Oryx had one last year, not sure about this year.

Phil
04-11-2004, 12:58 AM
Originally posted by Crinkle
don't know much about them, but i bet you can find a bunch of info here (http://forums.mtbr.com/forumdisplay.php?f=61)

Yup there is alot of info there. Gonna take me a while to get threw all that. Thanks, perfect, excatly what I needed.

el_jefe
04-12-2004, 10:05 AM
Originally posted by Phil
29 inch wheel set-up

So far I know about

Gary Fisher
Moots
Surly

Anybody know of other options ?

also:

WTB
Willits (handmade frames from crested butte, CO) - here's a link from Dirt Rag (http://www.dirtragmag.com/articles/article.php?ID=386&category=stuff_reviews)

fyi: WTB is probably your best bet for 29" tires, and i think you need to go w/ a white bros fork...

Platinum Pete
04-18-2004, 10:05 PM
A friend of mine used the Surly Karate Monkey for the Continental Divide Trail, plus some extended touring on and off road after that. He LOVED it. Marzocchi fork with lock-out.
I could try to put you in touch if you want.

ak_powder_monkey
04-18-2004, 10:14 PM
question: why would you want a 29" wheel?

powderhound
04-18-2004, 10:38 PM
i rode a friends fisher with 29"s and loved it, amazing how bigger you feel. would like to see more manufacturers come out with them. want to get one.
AKPM why would you want fat skis?

ak_powder_monkey
04-19-2004, 10:02 AM
Originally posted by powderhound

AKPM why would you want fat skis?

To float

so 29" wheels go faster or what? wouldn't liek 3 inches of travel be like a 29" wheel though? Wow I must be a bike Jong

zion zig zag
04-19-2004, 10:08 AM
ok akpm, an example, to a larger scale. how well does a skateboard roll over a pebble? now how about a 5" wheel? a 15" wheel? a 26" wheel? you get the idea. bigger wheels make obstacles smaller. unfortunatley, there are negative aspects as well, slower acceleration beiong one.

Grange
04-19-2004, 02:34 PM
What about size of the rider? Doesn't the larger wheel make for a taller bike? I suppose one could opt for a smaller frame.

UTdave
04-19-2004, 03:46 PM
Originally posted by Grange
What about size of the rider? Doesn't the larger wheel make for a taller bike? I suppose one could opt for a smaller frame.
not when the frame is designed around a 29in wheel. disregard comment on all girl and girly man size frames because they don't work well with bigger wheels.

ak_powder_monkey
04-19-2004, 05:05 PM
Originally posted by flykdog
ok akpm, an example, to a larger scale. how well does a skateboard roll over a pebble? now how about a 5" wheel? a 15" wheel? a 26" wheel? you get the idea. bigger wheels make obstacles smaller. unfortunatley, there are negative aspects as well, slower acceleration beiong one.

Ok thats what I figured, I get it for DH if you don't sacrifice (to much) suspention but for xc, faster acceleration is better I'd say

UTdave
04-19-2004, 05:50 PM
Originally posted by ak_powder_monkey
Ok thats what I figured, I get it for DH if you don't sacrifice (to much) suspention but for xc, faster acceleration is better I'd say

actually you're analysis is pretty backwards in XC all you're looking for is to maintain a high speed and you have a limited amount of travel. Therefore because of the limited travel the obstacle clearing advantage of the larger wheel is more valuable and acceleration is less important. In downhill with such a short race acceleration is more important and you have 7 or 8 inches of travel to absorb the impacts. Downhill uses 24in wheels frequently though not generally for acceleration purposes (it allows for more suspension travel, and the wheel is stronger).

Dromond
04-19-2004, 10:33 PM
Originally posted by UTdave
actually you're analysis is pretty backwards in XC all you're looking for is to maintain a high speed and you have a limited amount of travel. Therefore because of the limited travel the obstacle clearing advantage of the larger wheel is more valuable and acceleration is less important. In downhill with such a short race acceleration is more important and you have 7 or 8 inches of travel to absorb the impacts. Downhill uses 24in wheels frequently though not generally for acceleration purposes (it allows for more suspension travel, and the wheel is stronger).

It's generally accepted that for DH riding (well for racing anyways, where speed counts) 26" wheels are superior to 24". The 24" just aren't as optimal, they get hung up on ruts and on bumps more easily. It's a freeride thing, and the reason that Specialized Bighits can't be true race bikes. Why, oh why did they make them 24" specific??

UTdave
04-19-2004, 10:46 PM
they made them 24 inch because 26in wheels don't accomodate the suspension travel.