PDA

View Full Version : What do you think of these 2 bikes?

dipstik
04-06-2004, 04:31 PM
Ok so if you couldn't tell from my other bike thread i'm a total bike jong. I went to my LBS today and asked the guy a bunch of questions that warranted confused looks, and then he asked me a bunch of questions that I didn't know the answers to. After that awkward interaction, I hopped on a few bikes and gave 'em a little test run around the surrounding streets. The two nicest bikes I tried were the '04 Trek 6700 and the '02 Specialized Stumpjumper M4.

The Trek was a little more comfortable, but felt kinda unreassuring and it bobbed up and down a little bit when going uphill. It retails for $769, and $900 with disc brakes. I am considering the one with disc brakes.

The specialized gave me the overall impression that it was a better and more solid bike. A little less comfortable but the bike shop guy said the stuff I mentioned as uncomfortable could easily be fixed. (eg the top tube length is the same on both bikes but the specialized bike had some ridiculously long stem that probably made me reach out another 2-3 inches, which was uncomfortable) This bike doesn't have disc brakes though. It is on sale for $900 marked down from the '02 price of $1200.

I think overall the Specialized bike is a better bike, especially since it's on sale from a much higher price, but I don't want to rush into buying anything. I made that mistake with my ski boots.

Does anyone have any thoughts or opinions on either of these bikes?

here are links to both bikes:

Specialized Stumpjumper M4 (http://www.specialized.com/SBCBkModel.jsp?spid=5682&JServSessionIdroot=bdn67nvoc5.j27007)

Trek 6700 (http://www.trekbikes.com/bikes/2004/mountain/6700.jsp#largerview)

schuss
04-06-2004, 04:46 PM
stumpjumper is an ill bike. Just ask em to put a shorter stem and whatnot on for you when you buy. I rode those along with the FS bikes I was looking at and might have bought one if they had an 18" model. Light and quick.

milkman
04-06-2004, 04:59 PM
The Trek with the disc brakes (if they're hydro) would be the better bet, but only by a little. The Specialized has a nicer fork though. If you're doing a lot more steep downhill, get the Trek (with discs), if you'll be doing more XC and flatland (with not AS MUCH downhill), get the Specialized.

White Chocolate
04-06-2004, 05:56 PM
I used to have that same model specialized. I can say from experience that with a few cockpit adjustements (stem,etc) you will ride the crap out of it and love every second of it. Definately a far superior part spec also. I would spend a little extra cash though, and have the shop throw on some avid mechanical disks (unless you want to spend even more money on hydraulic disks).

schuss
04-06-2004, 07:50 PM
I don't get the huge disc brake thing. They're nice and all, but I'm coming off a break where I had cantilevers last, and even the v-brakes are enough for me.

White Chocolate
04-06-2004, 08:16 PM
Originally posted by schuss
I don't get the huge disc brake thing. They're nice and all, but I'm coming off a break where I had cantilevers last, and even the v-brakes are enough for me.

Flatlanders :rolleyes:

schuss
04-06-2004, 08:22 PM
Originally posted by White Chocolate
Flatlanders :rolleyes:

Pussy Gravity Powered fool, go ride your chairlift :rolleyes:

;)

altagirl
04-06-2004, 08:58 PM
Good disc brakes are high on my list of priorities for a bike. The way I see it, the faster and smoother you can stop, the faster you can go and stay in control. I guess it depends on the person and the terrain, but I think it makes a difference.

Anyway, the disc upgrade on the Trek is for Hayes hydraulic brakes, so if you go with that at least they're good brakes. But the Specialized can accept discs and has better components otherwise, so it might not be a bad idea to start without them and then put discs on it later.

I'd tell your shop guy to put a different stem on the Specialized so you can test it again and see if you like it better that way. Yeah it's a hassle, but make sure it fits now and you'll save yourself a hassle in the long run.

Big Hit77
04-06-2004, 09:51 PM
I rode a Trek 6700 for a year, and it was a fairly stiff, but harsh ride. The ride quality of the Specialized are usually better, just as stiff, but more forgiving. That sametrek came stock with disc brakes and now i can't ride anything but. Once you go disc it is tough to beat the all out stopping power and the performance in all conditions. And besides, they look cool too, and as we all know that is very important.

White Chocolate
04-06-2004, 11:57 PM
Pussy Gravity Powered fool, go ride your chairlift :rolleyes:

;)

Actually it's all about the car shuttle :D

snow_slider
04-07-2004, 06:52 AM
dipstik - Disc brakes are great if you ride in a LOT of steep technical terrain and by steep I mean - "Holy Crap" kinda steep. Disc brakes are also a huge bunus if your ride in wet places or on trails with lots of stream crossings. Disc brakes are far superior to rim brakes when wet - although many howl like stuck pigs when wet.

The Specialized is by FAR the better spec'ed bike. You get LX and XT derailleurs, versus Deore and LX on the Trek. The Duke fork is much stiffer that the noodly Pilot fork on the Trek.

If you ride in the above mentioned conditions (steep or wet), then perhaps the Trek might be better suited to your needs because it comes with disc brakes, otherwise go with the Specialized. It will ride better and shift better.

dipstik
04-08-2004, 05:31 PM
Thanks for all your help guys, this forum was such a good addition. I got 11 responses here in the time that I got 1 at mtbr.com Awesome!

Anyway, I decided on the Specialized. I put down a deposit today after my second test ride and will hopefully be picking it up on saturday, depending on when I can get the money. (stupid bank closes before I get out of school :mad: )

I take it now there are other things that I'm going to need to buy soon? I think I am going to get shoes when I pick up my bike, and maybe upgrade pedals later. Other than that, what else do I need? I have a helmet, gloves, camlebak, a giant multi-tool, and two spare tubes. Is there anything else? This will be my first bike with a fork, does it require any special maintenance/tools? Am I asking too many questions?

Thanks again for your help guys! :D

http://www.specialized.com/OA_MEDIA/2002/bikes/sj_ht_b_l.jpg

schuss
04-08-2004, 05:39 PM
padded shorts and a decent jersey. I recommend fox shorts. Pick up whatever jersey is 50% off. There's a reason most bikers wear em.

CS
04-08-2004, 05:53 PM
Originally posted by schuss:
Pick up whatever jersey is 50% off. There's a reason most bikers wear em.

What's that?

Dipstik, good buy. Have fun on that thing, and yeah, get some padded shorts. You seem to have pretty much everything else you need.

ak_powder_monkey
04-08-2004, 10:52 PM
I'd go with what ever is lighter a few pounds off the frame helps a ton, if you go with the specialized make sure you can get disk brakes to go with it, also check out the components good, make sure you have at least an XT rear derailer everything else can be LX I am very anti SRAM I like shimano a lot look at what type of riding you will be doing.

Make sure you like the frame, it is the base of the bike everything else is easily moveable and changeable and fairly cheep to tweak untill you get the setup you like

snow_slider
04-09-2004, 06:38 AM
dipstik - The only dump questions are the ones NOT asked. You can never ask too many questions.

I agree on the bike shorts comment. Get a good pair. Both Nema and Zoic make good shorts.

Here's the list of stuff I'd suggest getting to augment what you already have:
1. Tube patch kit. Get the Park instant patches. This is a great addition to carrying extra tubes - as you can patch most snake bite punctures (comes from pinching your tube against the walls of your rim and happens a LOT).
2. A compact pump. Crank Brothers makes a good one you can carry in your camelback.
3. If your multi tool doesn't have a chain breaker, then buy one. Also buy some extra pins (Shimano chain) or extra master links (SACHS/SRAM chain).

Your fork doesn't require any special tools, but you should check the oil level (I've bought bikes where the fork oil was not at the right level). Too little oil makes the fork rebound WAY too fast, too much and you can damage the fork seals. Check the fork owner's manual or service guide that should come with the bike or download both from the fork manufacturers site:
http://www.sram.com/tech_info/index.asp
(This is the site for Rock Shox)

You can also download a tuning tips guide to help you dial in the fork's performance to your taste.

A suspension fork should be maintenanced at least once a year (depending on how much you ride) and by maintenance, I mean:
-replace fork oil - which you can buy at any bike or motorcycle shop. Check maunals for proper weight oil.
-check seals and replace if necessary
-lube fork stanchions with something like Judy Butter or other type fork lube.

Grange
04-09-2004, 08:20 AM
Some nice suggestions for additional equipment. Not sure if the picture of the specialized is accurate but if a straight bar I'd recommend bar ends. Great for climbing. As far as compact pumps, get a good one the cheap ones don't last from my experience. I can't remember the name of the powder I use to put on the inside of my tire when I replace a tube, but I get fewer pinch flats as a result.

BTW, nice choice on the bike. As more of an XC rider than down hill v-brakes work well for me. Less to worry about and have no problem stopping.

Telephil
04-09-2004, 08:28 AM

Ever ridden em when they're wet?

Viva
04-09-2004, 08:53 AM
Originally posted by Telephil

Swap out the stock Shimano pads with those from KoolStop or Ritchey.

Telephil
04-09-2004, 09:11 AM
Originally posted by White Chocolate
Actually it's all about the car shuttle :D

And if all else fails, ride up.

As far as the disc brakes thingy goes, I'm riding hayes hydro's, they're super solid, awesome stopping power, just loud as hell when they're wet.

schuss
04-09-2004, 10:04 AM

yep, but I'm used to crap conditions and am no extremo DH dude. I like bike jerseys as they don't trap sweat or whatnot and overheat you. Also don't smell as bad later.

Telephil
04-09-2004, 10:23 AM
yep, but I'm used to crap conditions and am no extremo DH dude. I like bike jerseys as they don't trap sweat or whatnot and overheat you. Also don't smell as bad later.

I'm with you on the jersey thing. As far as riding style, it sounds like we're pretty similar. Conditions out here are pretty good usually, but I pretty much just ride cross country, but I like to ride it really fast, up and down. Discs are great for that, especially when you're going 30-35 and the corner you thought wasn't there is a lot sharper than you thought.:eek:

Crinkle
04-09-2004, 10:44 AM
padded shorts and a decent jersey. I recommend fox shorts. Pick up whatever jersey is 50% off. There's a reason most bikers wear em.

what he said, it will save your ass, literally. Nice buy Dipstick, have fun on that thing.

altagirl
04-09-2004, 11:11 AM
As far as jerseys go, as far as I'm concerned they don't have to be bike specific unless you don't wear a camelback and want the rear pockets to store stuff. Any shirt made out of special fabric meant to breathe and wick away sweat will work.

Things in my camelback:
Spare tube/patch kit
pump
first aid kit (I have a big one - but at a minimum I'd have band-aids, pain killers, neosporin, and an emergency blanket)
multi-tool
lightweight wind/waterproof jacket or other extra layer
food
armor (depending on the trail)

Things added since I also use the pack for dirt bike rides, but still useful so I leave them in there:
wire
zip ties
electrical tape

schuss
04-09-2004, 11:19 AM
I'm with you on the jersey thing. As far as riding style, it sounds like we're pretty similar. Conditions out here are pretty good usually, but I pretty much just ride cross country, but I like to ride it really fast, up and down. Discs are great for that, especially when you're going 30-35 and the corner you thought wasn't there is a lot sharper than you thought.:eek:

yep, too bad I'm out of shape right now. Even with my cantilevers I never had a situation where the brakes weren't enough to stop me or slow me. My current brakes suck, but my buddy has a set of arch rivals I'm going to pick up for 40 bucks (f+r). Discs would just be a pain as I'd have to get new hubs and whatnot.

CS
04-09-2004, 11:19 AM
Might I also add: Duct Tape

Arnold Babar
04-09-2004, 07:21 PM
Hydro discs. Riser bar. wear watever shirt you want. You will break everything on that bike so learn how to fix it. It aint hard and bike shops REEM you. Have fun.