PDA

View Full Version : The Moab Trip Thread

p-tex
04-06-2004, 01:26 PM
Preparations have begun for a 5 - 9 day Moab extravaganza. A few of us from the Boulder area and Somewhat county will be traveling out on April 24 to spend a week riding as hard as we can, drinking heavily and generally smelling badly.

Depending on how it all ends up coming together, we usually end up with two groups of riders - 1 fast/long rides and 1 slower/shorter rides. Campsite is a little up in the air but we generally camp in the Kane Creek area.

Interested?

Telenater
04-06-2004, 02:11 PM
Hmm, would be interested, but I'm flying into CO for that weekend.

When does Moab start getting too hot in the summer, and when does it start cooling down again?

altagirl
04-06-2004, 02:21 PM
Depends on your definition of too hot and whether or not you can get up early to ride...

I'm gonna say we'll be there, for the weekend - maybe even a long weekend (definitely not the whole week though).

Crinkle
04-06-2004, 02:24 PM
Originally posted by Telenater
Hmm, would be interested, but I'm flying into CO for that weekend.

When does Moab start getting too hot in the summer, and when does it start cooling down again?

bring your skis, we'll go to abasin and drink at the beach afterward. Moab is not close to denver, i am sure you knew that.

Particle
04-06-2004, 02:33 PM
I'll try to make it for at least a day of riding.

Don't forget the long/fast/shuttle access group :D

p.s. I used to do the cinqo de mayo trip every year when I lived in Somewhat cty...good times always!

CS
04-06-2004, 02:52 PM
I'll be there that weekend for sure with a nice sized group already. I'll be getting in on the 22nd, leaving the 2th. Camping in the Slickrock campground. We'll have to keep in touch and get a big group to go play around at Bartlett Wash.

It's usually not too hot that time of year, or at least hasn't been for the last 5 years.

altagirl
04-06-2004, 02:52 PM
Originally posted by Particle

Don't forget the long/fast/shuttle access group :D

No kidding. I was just thinking that I don't fit in either of the previously mentioned groups...

p-tex
04-06-2004, 02:56 PM
Ah yes, the old Cinco de Mayo Summit County reunion trips.... speaking of which I'll give Jeff M. a call and see if he can make it. Doubt it since he is going to school and working full time.

Since we didn't manage to hook up last year due to your accident, def. have to make it happen this year.

More details after this weekend.

P.S. - Shuttles are for pussies :D

CS
04-06-2004, 02:56 PM
My personal rider group: slow up and/or shuttle/ fast down (hey, I've done the Porcupine loop twice. And that is possibly 2 times too many)

zion zig zag
04-06-2004, 03:01 PM
Originally posted by CS
go play around at Bartlett Wash.

I'll admit it, I'm scared.

altagirl
04-06-2004, 03:02 PM
Originally posted by CS
My personal rider group: slow up and/or shuttle/ fast down (hey, I've done the Porcupine loop twice. And that is possibly 2 times too many)

Another good person to ride with. :D

altagirl
04-06-2004, 03:03 PM
Originally posted by flykdog
I'll admit it, I'm scared.

Of the innuendo because of the name of the trail or am I missing something?

(Bartlett wash is also fun to play around on with dirt bikes...)

CS
04-06-2004, 03:29 PM
Originally posted by flykdog: I'll admit it, I'm scared.

Nah man, you've got a bike with 7" of travel, there's nothing to fear. Bartlett kicks ass, just a giant slickrock playground, with many ledges to see just how nice those 7" are.

However, beware the shadows, they will get you.......
https://www.tetongravity.com/usergalleries/albums/userpics/10532/toilet%20shadows1%7E0.jpg

Telephil
04-06-2004, 03:51 PM
Originally posted by CS

What's the problem here, why not fast up and down.

Flyk, AC, and I are coming down that weekend, have room for one more in my car if anyone wants to join, leaving friday AM.

zion zig zag
04-06-2004, 03:58 PM
Originally posted by altagirl
Of the innuendo because of the name of the trail or am I missing something?

(Bartlett wash is also fun to play around on with dirt bikes...)

There is a poster in Go-ride of Krispy dropping a ledge that appears to be 20-30' high. I am not ready (nor will I ever be) for that. The other reason I'm scared is exactly what CS mentioned; by me having a long travel bike, I took away my biggest excuse.:D ;)

Telephil
04-06-2004, 03:59 PM
The other reason I'm scared is exactly what CS mentioned; by me having a long travel bike, I took away my biggest excuse.:D ;)

Oh good, that means I still have one. You still in for leaving friday morning?

zion zig zag
04-06-2004, 04:06 PM
Originally posted by Telephil
Oh good, that means I still have one. You still in for leaving friday morning?
Yep, so far, so good.
And from what I've heard about you, you don't need excuses for not stepping up, just for not going out (skiing).

Telephil
04-06-2004, 04:08 PM

And from what I've heard about you, you don't need excuses for not stepping up, just for not going out (skiing).

True on the second, not true on the first. I like speed, up and down, but don't necessarily have the biggest balls when it comes to CS like stuff.

CS
04-06-2004, 04:09 PM
Originally posted by Telephil:
What's the problem here, why not fast up and down.

I don't wear spandex.

Flyk, that drop isn't quite that big. Around 15-20 I'd say. Ok, almost that big I guess.

Like I said, there are baby ones too (paging Telephil). We'll just work our way up. ;)

Particle
04-06-2004, 04:26 PM
LOL. P-tex I totally forgot your screen name :)

jayfrizzo
04-06-2004, 04:30 PM
Hmmm, all I have is a hardtail, but this sounds like fun if there are no snow parks open 'round here by then...

altagirl
04-06-2004, 04:32 PM
Lots of FS demo bikes in Moab if need be, but your hardtail would work too. Don't let that stop you!

altachic
04-06-2004, 05:10 PM
I admit it as well-I'm scared.

I already know i'll be slow as a snail compared to phil and CS...so if you're fine with that, i'm in.

CS
04-06-2004, 05:16 PM
What's the deal? Nothing to be scared of. It's just a little dirt and red rock.

And AC, as stated above, I do not go fast uphill. It is against all my beliefs.

And don't worry, we'll wait for Telephil on the way down. ;)

skibe
04-06-2004, 06:35 PM
Oh shit this might be a nice little get away. As long as altachick will tie a tow rope and drag me up all climbs ;) At this point the only thing I am scared of is camping in my snoopy one man tent. The Best Western has been luxurious the past couple moab trips :D

altachic
04-06-2004, 07:41 PM
This will be fun! Skibe along with us...nice!:D

p-tex
04-06-2004, 07:58 PM
Yeah - you gotta camp. You can't build a fire and tell tall tales while trying to throw empty beer cans at lizards in a Best Western. Plus I know of at least one other person who will be using the WalMart Snoopy Tent!!

Telephil
04-06-2004, 08:13 PM
Skibe, you in then? Riding with myself, AC, and flyk.

skibe
04-07-2004, 06:17 PM
If my little brother ends up not coming to town for some spring skiing I am in. And I will have my snoopy tent with me. If he does come into town I will be up at Snowbird for a couple days. Either way it will be a great weekend.

Particle
04-14-2004, 04:40 PM
Altagirls--are you guys definitely in? I'm planning on heading down that Fri. after work. We should organize a campsite er sumthin. Let me know or PM me or something like that-
J

p-tex
04-14-2004, 08:42 PM
Yeah - it's definatley on!!

Some F.R. crew + a few Somewhat County crew + Utards = mini in Moab. Anybody else?

Some arriving Friday 23rd, some 24th. I believe the general plan is to camp in Kane Creek are but since I won't get there unitl Sat afternoon, I'm not sure if anybody else want to weigh in on this? Lots of camp sites, so prolly lots of seperate crews but maybe we could agree on a central spot for a Saturday evening or night rendezvous.

I'm going to make the 1st two suggestions:

1. Meet at Amasa trail head @ 4pm Sat for a ride. (trail head, not the parking lot).

2. Meet at a campsite near the stream crossing (so designated with appropriate signage or other maggot related relavance) around beer thirty (6pm ish).

Suggestions??????

Mr. Altagirl
04-14-2004, 08:59 PM
Altagirls--are you guys definitely in? I'm planning on heading down that Fri. after work. We should organize a campsite er sumthin. Let me know or PM me or something like that-
J

We're in for sure. There is a freeride comp going on at Bartlet Wash that weekend, maybe we'll have some Maggots in. I hear there may be some shuttled events as well, I'll find out. I hope ther are a few people up for a UPS / Porcupine ride, always one of my favorites. We'll PM as the week goes to stay in touch.

We camp at Kane Creek quite a bit. We could be up for the normal spot with everyone else.

Amasa Back is always good too (I love jumping over jeeps on the way down, the chicks riding in them always squeal when they see a fat mountain biker over the hood).

jayfrizzo
04-14-2004, 09:43 PM
I'm thinking about going. Who wants to share a tent with me?

BobMc
04-14-2004, 10:08 PM
Are motorized vehicles like Toyota Tacomas allowed?

The BobMc family could be persuaded to head on down. It'll be a few days after our arraignment, we could probably use the get away.

Hopefully the Frozen family could be talked into coming down as well. We'll get the grizzlies and Tacoma to make high speed dust clouds by the bikers. :)

BobMc

CS
04-14-2004, 10:59 PM
I'm in for sure. Leaving California and busting all the way through Weds night. Definately up for an Amasa or Porcupine or both on Sat with a huge crew. I'm already meating a group of people there and we're camping in the Slickrock campground.

Where exactly is the Kane Creek campground?

Frizzo, catch a ride with Telephil, he's coming down Friday morning, or Thurs night, or somthing like that. I'm sure he'd love to share a tent with you, and he promises to not sleep in his spandex.

zion zig zag
04-14-2004, 11:29 PM
Isn't Kane Creek the turn right at Mcdonalds and keep going campground? Thats how you get to amassa to isn't it?
Frizzo, you have a tent? I'll take a space in it. We need to work out some logistics with Telephil on this. Phil, are you going to be at RBarons sat. night?

Telephil
04-15-2004, 12:01 AM
Isn't Kane Creek the turn right at Mcdonalds and keep going campground? Thats how you get to amassa to isn't it?
Frizzo, you have a tent? I'll take a space in it. We need to work out some logistics with Telephil on this. Phil, are you going to be at RBarons sat. night?

Flyk, don't think I'll be there, actually hitting Moab this weekend as well. I'm planning on leaving as early friday morning as possible. Looks like it's just you and me for sure right now in my car, possibly skibe, AC is out. Be nice to get a couple others to help with gas. Frizzo, you in?

Particle
04-15-2004, 09:48 AM
This has the makings of...something! Stoked to check out the Bartlett wash comp. Never been out there.

Also never done the UPS drop in to Porc. It's singletrack, right? Mmmmm...

I'll be rolling out from Heber roughly 3:30-4pm Fri, and I'll probably swing thru SLC to get to I-15; I just can't stand driving into Provo. Anyone needs a ride they're welcome to join me.

CS
04-15-2004, 09:59 AM
Mr. Altagirl (or the better half if she's around) what is this "UPS" portion of Porcupine of which you speak?

Is the freeride comp only on Saturday? Could be interesting seeing what guys are willing to pull off on less than forgiving terrain.

And is there anyone out there who has ridden the Sovereign trail yet?

altagirl
04-15-2004, 10:06 AM
It's something he probably shouldn't have posted about since it's not officially a trail. But they did write about it in the latest Cycling Utah or whatever that free newsletter is... so I guess it's public knowledge at this point, even if it's illegal. UPS=an upper, singletrack extension of Porcupine. And basically the article said it will never be approved as a trail, neither will Hazard County because they're too technical and designed for one way traffic and the forest service or BLM or whomever in Moab will not allow such things - it has to be easy and bi-directional or it can't legally become a trail.

We asked the guys at Slickrock bike shop about Sovreign. They said it's nice, but pedaly and not really technical, and knowing us we'd like it better on dirt bikes than mountain bikes.

altagirl
04-15-2004, 10:11 AM
AC is out.

What's up with that?

CS
04-15-2004, 10:18 AM
Cool, thanks Altagirl. I take it you get to it by just continuing up the road past the normal trailhead? Isn't that where they used to run the downhill?

I'd definately be up for that on Saturday morning. After all, we have to help flykdog break in his new bike.

Liz is on boyfried duty for the weekend. Somthing about hotel rooms, Vegas, and hot tubs. No mention of eloping, but, you never know with her. ;)

altachic
04-15-2004, 10:41 AM
^CS speaks the truth...I get the pleasure of seeing my man next weekend in Vegas, sorry dudes. I'm definitely bummed i won't make it.

Mountainman
04-15-2004, 10:44 AM
Originally posted by altachic
^CS speaks the truth...I get the pleasure of seeing my man next weekend in Vegas, sorry dudes. I'm definitely bummed i won't make it. Oh ya, you got that whole wedding thing going on ;) ;) ;) ;) ;) ;) ;)

zion zig zag
04-15-2004, 10:57 AM
Originally posted by CS

I'd definately be up for that on Saturday morning. After all, we have to help break flykdog and his new bike.

:eek: ;)
I've mtb'ed in moab once a looong time ago on a bike that had NO suspension, so I really have no idea what to expect. I can't wait to get down there and chase you guys.

jayfrizzo
04-15-2004, 11:28 AM
And basically the article said it will never be approved as a trail, neither will Hazard County because of those darn Duke boys.

<Roscoe> Gih gih!

Anyhooos...yeah, this could be fun. Checking with the missus and our finances. Would be cool if I got a job next week, picked up an AS-X, then broke myself just in time to ride a desk.

Flyk, we have a tent. If Mrs. Frizzo comes tho you gotta share the kennel with Abbey. She smells better than I do anyhow. :)

J-

Particle
04-15-2004, 11:43 AM
I want to get one thing straight. There are two things I will NEVER EVER do again IN MY LIFETIME:

1-Ride sandflats road to the Porcupine trailhead
2-Ride back from end of Porcupine to town.

EVER. That is all.

p-tex
04-15-2004, 11:47 AM
There is only one acceptable way to do Porcupine:

LOOP IT

[edit] from the campsite in Kane Creek [\edit]

CS
04-15-2004, 11:59 AM
Particle: very much agreed

p-tex: Hell, hell no

[edit] But something tells me Telephil would be up for such a beating.

altagirl
04-15-2004, 12:18 PM
There is ZERO chance of me ever looping porcupine. Ever.

Edit: hell, and the last couple times we rode it we worked it out so the riders got picked up where it pops out on the road so they didn't have to ride into town either.

Telephil
04-15-2004, 12:23 PM
Originally posted by CS
Particle: very much agreed

p-tex: Hell, hell no

[edit] But something tells me Telephil would be up for such a beating.

How did you guess, p-tex, looks like it's on. I'll park the car and ride to the trailhead.

CS
04-15-2004, 12:50 PM
Have fun Phil. I hear washboard roads are all the rage nowadays.

Altagirl: standard practice to leave the car at Negro Bills. Riding roads on a mt. bike is stupid.
(If it's not readily apparent, yes, I'm jonesing bad for next week and can't help but keep talking about Moab. Sorry.)

p-tex
04-15-2004, 01:13 PM
[i]...I'll park the car and ride to the trailhead. [/B]

Unfortunatley it sounds like everybody is doing Porcupine on Sat and I cannot get to Moab 'til afternoon on Sat. I would be up for looping it on Sun or Mon. Due to my late arrival on Sat I will prolly have to do something shorter (Amasa, Slickrock).

Also, what is the fascination with Bartlett Wash? I've ridden out there once and was only entertained for about an hour. After that it's like hanging out in the Park.

Telephil
04-15-2004, 02:02 PM
Originally posted by CS
Have fun Phil. I hear washboard roads are all the rage nowadays.

Yeah, I'm kinda into them, but only flat, sandy ones.

UTdave
04-15-2004, 02:09 PM

Edit: hell, and the last couple times we rode it we worked it out so the riders got picked up where it pops out on the road so they didn't have to ride into town either.
this is the best way to do it. I wish I could make it next weekend but unfortunately I have to move into a new apartment then. Maybe later in the year. Moab is always good in late September and October.

Mr. Altagirl
04-16-2004, 10:15 AM
I want to get one thing straight. There are two things I will NEVER EVER do again IN MY LIFETIME:

1-Ride sandflats road to the Porcupine trailhead
2-Ride back from end of Porcupine to town.

EVER. That is all.

Sand flats road- NOOOOOOO!

To do the trail that will now remain nameless, we actually drive up the La Sal Mountain Rd South of town. There is a trailhead for the Kokopelli trail off of the main road that leads us to the goods. Almost all single track with a good amount of slick rock playground at the top. We ride right next to the cliff side and come out at the traditional overlook on Porcupine. There is nothing better than doing a wheelie into the overlook on a big-hit bike with all the Lycra wearers just staring ("How did those guys get up here from that direction and why are they smiling?"):D

CS
04-16-2004, 10:29 AM
Originally posted by Mr Altagirl:
To do the trail that will now remain nameless, we actually drive up the La Sal Mountain Rd South of town. There is a trailhead for the Kokopelli trail off of the main road that leads us to the goods. Almost all single track with a good amount of slick rock playground at the top. We ride right next to the cliff side and come out at the traditional overlook on Porcupine. There is nothing better than doing a wheelie into the overlook on a big-hit bike with all the Lycra wearers just staring ("How did those guys get up here from that direction and why are they smiling?")

Ok, I know where that road is. The trail sounds sweet. Would you guys be up for that Sat morning?

Mr. Altagirl
04-16-2004, 11:08 AM
Sure!

Particle
04-16-2004, 02:49 PM
I so freaking can't wait :D

I just weighed my bike at Go-Ride. I thought it must be a svelte 30-31 lbs...I was wrong. 34 pounds!

It still feels like a featherweight compared to the ole 41lb big hit, heh.

Telephil
04-16-2004, 04:07 PM
We can get it down to 29 if you like, only cost you something like 5 grand.

zion zig zag
04-16-2004, 04:20 PM
Stoked! That sat. morning ride sounds fun.

edit: my bikes gotta weigh in around 36#'s. i hit the small chainring earlier on climbs than on the superlight.

Telenater
04-16-2004, 04:26 PM
Originally posted by UTdave
Maybe later in the year. Moab is always good in late September and October.

Let us know, it just might be road trip time for me then....

skibe
04-19-2004, 05:35 PM
Flyk, don't think I'll be there, actually hitting Moab this weekend as well. I'm planning on leaving as early friday morning as possible. Looks like it's just you and me for sure right now in my car, possibly skibe, AC is out. Be nice to get a couple others to help with gas. Frizzo, you in?

I won't be heading down until Friday evening if I go telephil so count me out of your car. How about a ride this week? Maybe city creek?

Telephil
04-19-2004, 06:17 PM
I would be up for that, I'm heading out tomorrow morning with some friends if you wanna go, prolly pretty early, otherwise maybe wednesday night.

Telephil
04-20-2004, 07:36 PM
Bump...so what's everyone's plan here? Flyk and I and another buddy are heading out late thursday night. Where and when are meeting places?

jayfrizzo
04-21-2004, 10:29 AM
We're not going. I need to get a frikkin job. Things are moving on a couple fronts and I need to stay focused. Plus the whole money thing.

Lame? Kinda. But hopefully this'll mean that in the next few weeks I can buy an AS-X. Whoot whoot!

J-

CS
04-21-2004, 10:37 AM
Too bad you can't make it Frizzo.

I'm outta here today. So, where should we all meet up for a Porcupine invasion Sat morning?

Particle
04-21-2004, 10:48 AM
I'll be heading down Fri. post-work, try to leave 3:30-4, so should be in Moab by 8 at the latest.

Would like to get an early start on Porc. Sat a.m...

CS, I know you, me and the Altagirls will want to shuttle (flyk too?), so we'll need to meet probably somewhere in town so we can leave a car at Negro Bill's and then drive up to at least the upper put-in if not the unnamed location. But I really want to do the unnamed location.

How about meet at 9AM at the Texaco or Phillips? I forget which but it's a mostly red gas station and is the corner you turn at to head up to Slickrock.

edit: and I know p-tex won't be getting in till later that day, so I was thinking an Amasa back around 4-ish would be sweet.

Regardless we should all head to Eddie's for a few beers before camping...

CS
04-21-2004, 11:11 AM
Particle: that all sounds good, and that gas station I beleive is the Walkers right on the corner. Either that, or the City Market parking lot sounds good. Phil will be around tomorrow, so you guys can work it out with the Altagirls, and he can let me know.

Can't, freaking, wait.

Amasa at 4 is perfect as well.

Particle
04-21-2004, 11:28 AM
Oh yeah, City Market. Duh. Let's plan on City market at 9. I've got a black XTerra with a black rocket box w/ a big Powder sticker.

See y'alls there!

p-tex
04-21-2004, 01:57 PM
Amasa at 4pm Sat - got it. Will be at the trail head (not the parking lot) at 4pm with the somewhat cty crew.

Particle - call me if anything changes (I will not have net access much this week).

CS
04-21-2004, 02:26 PM
Game is on.

Particle, et al, see you guys at City Market, 9 am. Silver Subaru, gold Bullit on top.

zion zig zag
04-21-2004, 02:27 PM

CS, I know you, me and the Altagirls will want to shuttle (flyk too?),
yes

altagirl
04-23-2004, 10:47 AM
I'm out. See you guys down there!

Particle
04-23-2004, 02:18 PM
Sweet. I'm out in a couple hours...this desk is killing me! Must...escape! See yall tomorrow bright and early.

altagirl
04-26-2004, 07:49 AM
I was a little concerned about the weather heading down to Moab, but it ended up being perfect. I rolled into town at about 3:30, met up with Rotney and his wife. We found a campsite and headed out for a short dirt bike ride on Kane Creek while we were waiting for Mr.AG, who had been working down in St. George. Can't believe how much it's rained down there - the trail is totally different than it was a couple weeks ago.

Saturday morning we met up and did Porcupine. (No upper sections because the snow level is too low.) We had a total of like 19 people - biggest group I've ever ridden with out there, and miraculously, only had one flat in the group the whole ride. Lots of fast, talented riders (with sweet bikes to drool over) - it was a very fun group to ride with.

Loved my new bike - it climbs so well and took the drops no problem. It would be nice to have a bigger bike when you're barreling over the rocks, but it handled it well and I was able to climb sections I've never made it up before, go into technical sections with more momentum, and I had no problems riding anything downhill. I'm definitely happy with my purchase. :D

Yesterday we stopped and rode Sovreign on the way home. I had heard it's pretty uncrowded, but I guess the word is out - it was packed - which on a multi-directional singletrack got a little old. Fun trail though - just technical enough to keep things interesting, with some nice flowing sections.

Anyway, we had a great weekend and it was great riding Porcupine with you guys!

CS
04-26-2004, 10:40 AM
Ahhh, yes, it's always good to see the red rock of southern Utah. Unfortunately, the rock showed a deeper hue of red due to rain saturation upon our arrival early Thursday morning. A quick nap, rain on the tent, blue skies?, mad dash, crank some boulder problems, realize a winter spent away from the rock is not a good idea, here comes the rain (again), there goes the rain, slickrock meanderings, 2 broken chains (f-ing shimano), dinner in the tent, pitter patter of rain lulling me to sleep. Rain, rain, rain. All night long. And then...........

As night fades to day, so a unusual silence brings me out of slumber: it's not raining anymore. Hell, yes.

Telephil and flykdog arrive sometime at night. More friends roll in. It's off to Sovereign we go. The rain has actually helped us, wetting the sandy trail just enough to make it fast and smooth. As a trail, it's nothing real spectacular, but fun, with enough fast sections and jumps and drops to keep it interesting. As expected, Telephil sets a ridiculous pace. As promised, I don't even try to keep up.

After lunch and a quick nap for some, it's determined Amasa Back is in order. Once again, Telephil went aggro, and was soon out of sight. The boy charges, plain and simple.

Amasa and Porcupine are two of the best rides around. Technical climbing to kill the drudgery of going up, and fast, technical decents, with tons of drops and jumps to keep it spicey. Basically, these two rides were the inspiration to the puschase of the Bullit. And dammit if I don't love that bike even more. After severly cramping in both quads on Sovereign, I call it quits 2\3 the way up Amasa, feeling the same vice grips start to creep into my legs. Flyk and a couple buddies did the same and we were treated with a show only Moab can provide. Sun low on the horizon, lighting up the rims and buttes, casting shadows in the fins, gold rock set ablaze in the warm light.

Then, it was on. Down, down, down. Drop this, jump that. Pillage, plunder. Turn around and see all the fellas doing the same, and if not, getting a good heckling for their lack of, uh, gumption.

Saturday, dawns blue and pure, the white of the La Sals a perfect contrast to the red desert below. Meet up with the Altagirls, Particle, and some friends of theirs. As told, a solid crew of 19 or so. We bid goodbye to Telephil in now typical fashion, as he mashes the gears and goes up, as if a normal person would go down. In due time, we all make it up, gasp at the crowds, gawk at the views, and revel in the awaiting melee. Another short climb awaits, then it is on, again.

And dammit if these guys don't ride fast. Mr. Altagirl and Rotney leading a pace that has us just killing the downhill. So much fun to follow those guys and do all that I could just to keep up. In typical fashion, the ride gives it up in ample quantities with enough drops, jumps and rock gardens to keep anybody on a big squishy happy. One flat, many bumps, and multiple grins later, the road is reached, the end found.

Dammit if that's not one of the best rides ever. Was sweet to meet and ride with the Altagirls and Particle, as well as flykdog and Telephil.

See you all back there in October.

homerjay
04-26-2004, 10:46 AM
Tell me more about Soveriegn (sp?). Where is the trailhead? How long is it? PM me if it's supposed to be secret or something.

Porcupine is a classic...surprised Phil didn't loop it from town.

altagirl
04-26-2004, 10:59 AM
Sovreign's not secret - it's just new. There are two trailheads for Sovreign - you can get to it from Dalton Wells road or Willow Springs road. Easy to find, well marked with blue sprockets on the slickrock sections. There's also a Sovreign ATV trail, which is mostly sand, and you don't want that, but there are those brown trail markers that tell you which is which - you're looking for the singletrack. Probably best as an out and back, but it can be looped.

Review, map, GPS, and pictures:
http://www.utahmountainbiking.com/trails/sovergn.htm

Particle
04-26-2004, 12:06 PM
Great. Now I want a BIG squishy bike even more. Not that mine isn't squishy; I just want something like CS' Bullit w/ a big-ass double crown on it and super slack angles. Not this year anyway...

Great riding w/ everyone! I'll post a more detailed report w/ some pics later tonight.

Mr. Altagirl
04-26-2004, 12:18 PM
Awesome finally ridding with you guys. I've never seen Porcupine so crowded but it was still a blast (once we got to the top). It was really fun riding with you guys, the talent level was pretty high in our group and showed as we made our way down. Big props to Phil, that guy is a hammer and hangs just fine on the down hills.

CS, you are going to be the reason I break the bank this year and finally get a Bullitt, nice ride. Now I just need the nuts to hit the jumps harder and spring (I swear you have some rabbit in you).

Particle, sorry we missed you later. Our phones don't work out at the camp site and then Rotney and I ended up having a BUNCH of beers Saturday night. I always seem ready for a beer or ten afer a good Porcupine ride :D.

jayfrizzo
04-26-2004, 12:20 PM
Pics, foos!

homerjay
04-26-2004, 01:39 PM
Sovreign's not secret - it's just new. There are two trailheads for Sovreign - you can get to it from Dalton Wells road or Willow Springs road. Easy to find, well marked with blue sprockets on the slickrock sections. There's also a Sovreign ATV trail, which is mostly sand, and you don't want that, but there are those brown trail markers that tell you which is which - you're looking for the singletrack. Probably best as an out and back, but it can be looped.

Review, map, GPS, and pictures:
http://www.utahmountainbiking.com/trails/sovergn.htm

Thanks AG! Quite the trail review, complete with detailed geological information!

zion zig zag
04-26-2004, 08:48 PM
Telephil, ready to go again, when everyone else just got there:
https://www.tetongravity.com/usergalleries/albums/userpics/10497/normal_moab%20005.jpg

CS and non maggot buddy when we stopped to enjoy the view on Amassa Back:
https://www.tetongravity.com/usergalleries/albums/userpics/10497/normal_moab%20014.jpg

CS being himself on Amassa:
https://www.tetongravity.com/usergalleries/albums/userpics/10497/normal_moab%20023.jpg

CS's non-maggot friend:
https://www.tetongravity.com/usergalleries/albums/userpics/10497/normal_moab%20024.jpg

zion zig zag
04-26-2004, 09:01 PM
scenic Amassa:
https://www.tetongravity.com/usergalleries/albums/userpics/10497/normal_moab%20010.jpg

more scenery:
https://www.tetongravity.com/usergalleries/albums/userpics/10497/normal_moab%20015.jpg

Sorry no pics from saturday on porcupine. What a fun trip, good people to hang with, good riding, time to go back.

Telephil
04-26-2004, 09:10 PM
By far the coolest moab trip I've ever been on, so much fun. Good riding, good friends, etc, etc.

Kind of sucked initially, flykdog and I meet in Provo in hopes to leave by 10:15, be in Moab by 2 AM, should've even been 1:30. Finally pull in at 3:30 after messing with the rack for 45 minutes and missing HW-6 to price....twice.

Oh well, such a sweet crew to ride with, especially the size of the porcupine group. CS is a sick fella, never dreamed of hitting stuff that big, nor will I ever. Never been so jealous of a bike in my life as I am of Altagirl's. I will have one.

Can't wait to go back.

p-tex
05-03-2004, 01:34 PM
Just got back....

Well, sorry I missed everyone but we ended up having a good bunch from Denver and Summit land for 6 days spent riding various trails. Went to Amasa around 4 on Sat thinking I might see a few but got a msg from Particle the next day saying everyone was tired. Oh well, we ended up having a great ride on Amasa Sat and followed it up with a SERIOUS drinking session that nite. Everyone was so hungover on Sun that we had to ride Gemini Bridges (gawd that ride sucks) and then called it a day to start drinking again. Monday was a great day and we knocked out the Porcupine loop. Sand Flats road is not that bad - I still say that looping it is the best way to do it. Tuesday we hit a different ride up an old mine road/path near Harrah Pass that eventually found it's way to Amasa and road that back down to Kane Creek road and back out to camp. Not sure what that is called but it's pretty fun and clearly almost never ridden. If you have the chance to check that ride out I'll give you some more details. It has a wicked portage in the middle and NO it is not the Jackson's Hole / Jacob's Ladder ride (this ride is on top of that bluff you are looking at when you're riding Jackson's Hole). Wednesday was Sovereign trail. If you just do the 1st 7 miles as an out and back, you missed some serious fun rolling single track that is at mile 10ish. Thursday was interesting with the weather turning on us but we ended up riding from camp again this time over Harrah Pass to Chicken Corners back to Jackson's Hole/Jacob's Ladder to Amasa back to the unnamed trail mentioned above and back to camp. Turned into a 7 hour ordeal due to some weather delays but all in all still fun even with all the dirt road. The rain started about halfway through that ride and continued all night into the next day. Had planned to go to Fruita on Friday and get in a good single track ride we found down near Rabbit Valley but due to all the mud and a general malaise about the crew we packed it in and made our way back to Summit and got our drink on.

On an equipment note: MY NEW BIKE ROCKS!!! Klien Palimino - wow, climbs great and has enough cush for the down (but not the big hits on Amasa that I saw the pics of, I'm impressed but it's just not my type of riding). Hope that we'll hook up some other time/place and get in some rides. What sucks is that I left my cycling shoes at camp!!! Damn expensive ones too. Oh well - you gotta pay to play sometimes with blood other times with the wallet.