PDA

View Full Version : Wet trails = closed?

skiergirl
04-05-2004, 09:02 AM
Just wondering:
Are any of your local trails "closed" when they are wet/muddy?

The local one here is. It is not private, it is on city land, but I believe b/c it is maintained by a group, they close it.

Maybe it's because I'm from the NW and I like riding in mud, but it makes me grumpy when I show up and the log is across the entrance.

So, to poach or not to poach?

altagirl
04-05-2004, 09:28 AM
They don't here, but probably should sometimes in areas where it will be dry all summer. If people ride them when they're mud, it ruts up and will dry that way and you end up with nasty ruts that last all summer long. I think it's different with trails that stay muddy most of the time.

Don't poach it and you'll have a much nicer trail later.

PlayHarder
04-05-2004, 09:33 AM
If you've got any land access issues going on, like alot of mtb terrain does, the militant hiker type will use the rutted up trail as an example of why mtb bikes should be banned. In the long run, in most places, its easier not to poach and keep the trail open. May or may not apply, but something to keep in mind.

Mountain Junkie
04-05-2004, 09:34 AM
No poach. I will stay off trails when I know they're going to be wet. No sense in accelerating the trail deterioration.

ak_powder_monkey
04-05-2004, 10:10 AM
You guys mean there are maintained mountain bike trails out there? i just bike on ski trails and bear trails:D

I say don't poach find someother place to poach (some dudes huge back yard or something) remember as long as your on a bike and the cops aren't you win (unless they shoot you)

Mountainman
04-05-2004, 10:19 AM
Originally posted by ak_powder_monkey
You guys mean there are maintained mountain bike trails out there? i just bike on ski trails and bear trails:D

I say don't poach find someother place to poach (some dudes huge back yard or something) remember as long as your on a bike and the cops aren't you win (unless they shoot you)

Im calling the cops on you.

skiergirl
04-05-2004, 11:06 AM
I don't poach, I'm actually surprised that most don't (in town, not on the board).

I was mostly curious about trail closures in other places, parks, etc. I just have never heard of actually closing the trail.

Big E
04-05-2004, 11:10 AM
Yup, happens 'round these parts.

watersnowdirt
04-05-2004, 11:46 AM
I echo Altagirl. Don't poach.

Mr. Altagirl
04-05-2004, 08:32 PM
Boise, ID is a good example for you. When the trails are wet, they are closed. We turnd around and did not touch UPS / LPS in Moab a few weeks ago for the same reason.

potato
04-07-2004, 10:47 PM
Up north the trails dont close when its wet but it seem an unwritten law to stay off for the enjoyment of others. So stay off lady. hahaha.

The tankers are still safe but i havent ridden them yet. We colse Sunday so you know.