PDA

View Full Version : 24 hours of Snowshoe

Bill L. Zeebub
04-01-2004, 08:51 AM
Well, since the West Coast guys are creating a team for a Granny Gear race, I was wondering what the potential interest would be for a Maggot team to get together in West Virginia.

Please note this an early morning brain-fart: I have not done anything more than a cursory web-site search. Nothing more than an interesting idea.

bagtagley
04-01-2004, 09:22 AM
Don't know, man. They've shortened the course to just shy of 7 miles from just over 12. That doesn't leave much time for sleep, rest...anything. I'm actually surprised they're doing it again. Last year entries were down to mid-200s from over the 500 max a year before. This can mostly be attributed to people pussing out and blaming Snowshoe and organizers for muddy conditions...not much they can do about the weather.

I did it 2 years ago and apparently forgot how much torture it was because for some reason I remember it being a good time. Anyway, I've offered my wrenching services to another team if they enter, but if a maggot team emerges I'd be happy to help out.

Edit: not trying to discourage, by the way, it really was a good time. Our crew was a group of my friends who came up to party. None of them knew a thing about wrenching on bikes, so we had to forbid them from doing anything besides rinsing the bikes off. I'd take a lap, eat and go to sleep and when I woke up, they'd be a step further in their drunkeness. I'll never forget, I was standing in the start tent waiting to switch w/ the incoming rider. It was approaching dawn, and my brother had come along to keep me company. I look over at him as he sways back and forth barely able to grasp a massive screwdriver (the drink) he'd made before we left. He looked back at me glossy eyed and slurred "I got no business bein' out here right now", one of the funniest things I've seen.

Big E
04-01-2004, 12:56 PM
How burly is the course?

jstead
04-01-2004, 03:38 PM
There is a killer 24 hour ride in NJ.

The trails kick major butt.....

www.24hoursofallamuchy.com

snow_slider
04-01-2004, 04:40 PM
Big E said

How burly is the course?

It's pretty nasty. Usually wet, with tons of diagonal roots, rocks, and some "suck your shoes off you feet cause you gotta walk it" mud pits.

I haven't done the 24 hours of snowshoe, but I rode up there during one of the four day long fat tire fests. We hit Slatyfork and some of the snowshoe trails (including parts of the trail system used for the 24 hour race).

I imagine it would be a LOT more fun if it hadn't rained on us all week. If the trails were a bit dryer, then it'd be a whole different ballgame. As is was - HOLY CRAP! Bring shin/knee guards and some platform pedals.

m1e448
04-02-2004, 07:22 AM
i'm in. are you guys fast? or just looking for to say you rode it?