PDA

View Full Version : Straight or riser bar

Grange
03-30-2004, 01:39 PM
I had a discussion with a co-worker last year about mountain biking. He preferred a riser bar while I preferred a straight bar with bar ends. Just curious as to what everyone else prefers.

Platinum Pete
03-30-2004, 02:19 PM
I ride with a riser bar because it helps me fit on the bike better. No fashion, just function

freshies
03-30-2004, 02:44 PM
rode straight bars and bar ends for 7 yrs, then switched to risers (even on old hard tail) about 4 yrs ago - never looked back. more upright position, better for handling, esp on tight, single track, etc. i climb a lot too (tahoe rides, marin county where i live...), so was worried about that at first, but they work just as well on climbs as flat bars w/bar ends....

risers rule, on everything from hard tails to full on DH bikes.....

altagirl
03-30-2004, 02:48 PM
I started out with a flat bar and bar ends when I was learning to ride. Switched to a riser bar and can't imagine going back.

InspectorGadget
03-30-2004, 03:46 PM
I'm riding with a riser bar and these

http://www.designbivouac.net/Singletrackside.jpg

Especially on longer rides, I have to be able to change hand positions. But the jury is still out on the Single Track Solutions bar ends.

CS
03-30-2004, 05:54 PM
Wide is good. Narrow is not.

Spats
03-30-2004, 08:22 PM
Straight bars are much stronger and lighter. If you need higher grips, get an angled stem.

Big Hit77
03-30-2004, 10:09 PM
wide riser bars are much more comfortable and easy to use though

Ripzalot
03-31-2004, 02:27 AM
you need a new poll option: it depends.

the term "mountain biking" can mean a lot of different things to different people. cross country? freeride? downhill? there is no one bar that is best for everything. it depends on the type of biking. riser or flat is largely a personal preference thing outside of downhill and freeriding.

flat for xc, risers for downhill & freeride for me.

snow_slider
03-31-2004, 05:51 AM
I prefer riser bars for the following reasons:
-Wider than straight bars = more open chest = better breathing
-Higher than straight bars = more comfortable on my back
-Much more sweep than straight bars = more hand/wrist/arm comfort.

I know it's a personal preference, but for me, there's no comparison.

Besides, those bar end thingies, when I had them, just managed to get themselves hooked on trailside branches and such in the narrow sections of trail.

InspectorGadget
03-31-2004, 07:51 AM
Originally posted by snow_slider
Besides, those bar end thingies, when I had them, just managed to get themselves hooked on trailside branches and such in the narrow sections of trail.

I do love my riser bars for the same reasons mentioned. As I said, really like/need to change hand positions, but I'm still not sure the bar end and riser bar combination works. Need more seat time to figure it out, but that's a good problem to have.

ak_powder_monkey
03-31-2004, 07:36 PM
Riser bars and a giant stem chopper style:D

homerjay
04-01-2004, 09:30 AM
no offense, IG, but my understanding was:

Riser bars and bar-ends : mountain biking :: fagbags : skiing

Mr. Altagirl
04-01-2004, 10:01 PM
Normal drop bars (road bike) flipped upside down. This way, your back is perfectly straight and you can smoke while you ride. Having a milk crate held on with bungee cords as a backrest helps as well. Great for Downhilling,

Honestly, riser bars are the only option for me anymore. I have less of a rise on my trail bike bars than on the DH rig; usually about a 1.5” on the trail bike, 2” on the DH. I really think I can ride longer with the riser's, way less back issues.

cumerritt
04-09-2004, 10:10 PM
i prefer straights to risers for the simple reason that i have always used them and refuse to change.

lph
04-09-2004, 11:34 PM
Originally posted by homerjay

you can't really count what he has as true bar ends. i see them alot on bikes with riser bars and inevitably the rider says he/she got them simply to be able to vary hand position. I think they make alot of sense, unfortunately i don't know if i could make them work and still keep my streamers on the bars. ;)

InspectorGadget
04-18-2004, 09:48 PM
Originally posted by homerjay

Originally posted by lph
you can't really count what he has as true bar ends. i see them alot on bikes with riser bars and inevitably the rider says he/she got them simply to be able to vary hand position. I think they make alot of sense, unfortunately i don't know if i could make them work and still keep my streamers on the bars. ;)

What lph said. :p

No offense taken. :D

Dromond
04-19-2004, 10:31 PM
3 years ago I thought risers were trendy and dumb; until I tried one. I'm still riding on that same bar (Race Face Air Alloy) 3 years and 4 frames later.