PDA

View Full Version : Trails in SF area

seldon
03-29-2004, 06:55 PM
Ok, let me preface this by saying I am a complete and utter MTB JONG. I have a Trek 4500 ? which I got for a bday awhile back and have barely ridden it off road at all (like empty dirt lots is the extent of my ability).

I'm interested in getting better and was wondering if any maggots had suggestions of where I should ride/what I should do to improve? I live in SF itself FYI.

Thx.

-John
-JONG

snow_slider
03-30-2004, 06:27 AM
Sorry man, I don't know squat about SF trails, but check the trail review section of MTBR.com. They rate trails based on length and ability, but a word of caution - don't take the ability level trail rating as gospel. It isn't always accurate.

http://content.mtbr.com/pscTrails/United,States,Trails/California-BayArea/PLS_4519crx.aspx

freshies
03-30-2004, 11:34 AM
if you are a mtb jong, best to start off on some fire roads to get it all together before moving on to more technical trails and single track, etc.

the marin headlands, right across the bridge, is an excellent place to start riding dirt. ask your local BS, buy a map of Tam and the Headlands, and just go. Ride across the bridge and up the stepp road, and you can access all the trails in the headlands and do some nice loops in Tenn Valley, etc: Miwork, Bobcat, Coastal trails all good.

Mt Tam is also a great place to start riding: railroad grade to the top, deer park/camp, phoenix lake loop, hoo koo e koo, repak...again, all on the Tam map you can buy.

China Camp is also a good palce to taste single track for the first time.

Then move to place like Pine Mountain for a little more challanging ride, and finally Tamarancho for some single track.

watersnowdirt
04-04-2004, 02:03 PM
China Camp is a good starter ride. There are a couple of options within it that you can take when you're feeling a bit stronger.

You can do some fireroads at Skegg's also, and again, can start on more technical stuff there as well.

A day trip down to Wilder in Santa Cruz can be good.

Some stuff in Joaquin (something, can't remember the name) in Oakland is also good.

Tennesee Valley in Marin - nice and easy.

welcome to the wonderful world of Bay Area mountain biking! you're gonna get hooked.

seldon
04-13-2004, 09:34 PM
Originally posted by watersnowdirt
China Camp is a good starter ride. There are a couple of options within it that you can take when you're feeling a bit stronger.

You can do some fireroads at Skegg's also, and again, can start on more technical stuff there as well.

A day trip down to Wilder in Santa Cruz can be good.

Some stuff in Joaquin (something, can't remember the name) in Oakland is also good.

Tennesee Valley in Marin - nice and easy.

welcome to the wonderful world of Bay Area mountain biking! you're gonna get hooked.

Thanks!

I've run almost all of the trails in Tennessee Valley at some point or another for my xcountry escapades... Sounds like something I could handle. And I really have to get out (gotta grab those last few days of skiing this season first though)