PDA

View Full Version : I want to get a bike but I don't know where to start!

dipstik
03-28-2004, 06:31 PM
I've determined that I want to buy a new bike because today was my last day of skiing, and my next won't be for another 8 months.

Right now I'm on a 5 (maybe more) year old Specialized rigid rockhopper. Last year I threw some slicks on it for road riding because it's not so good on the trails. The thing is in great shape considering how much I ride it and how old it is, but I really want to get a new bike so that I can take it on the trails.

I'm looking at getting a hardtail for around $700-$800. I'd consider going over $800, but only if I were getting a good deal. Is this too little to spend? Do I need to spend more? Could I get away with spending only $700? (preferable)

Any ideas of something in that range?

There are a few bike shops in my area that I'm planning to go check out this week. What kinds of questions should I be asking the people there? What are you supposed to look for in a bike? What makes similarly-priced-bike-A different from similarly-priced-bike-B?

One last question - are bikes like skis? Are there hardtail bikes that are going to be directed at more of an "advaced" rider than a "beginner" one? (like me) I'm pretty sure the answer is no, but I just want to make sure.

The shop I'm going to first has a list of all the bikes that are on sale here (http://www.bikealley.com/sales/sale_bikes_mtn.html). So if anyone wants to go out on a limb for me and check out what bikes are on that list that you think would match what I want, I would really appreciate it.

Any other suggestions on where to start would also be great.

Thanks!

Big Hit77
03-28-2004, 06:43 PM
There are actually some hardtails that are set up more for "Advanced" riders. These bikes are generally going to be more race oriented so they will be lighter weight all around and have more agressive geometry that makes you fast when youa re racing, but for alot of recreational riders, it is uncomfortable. Get on a few bikes and ride and feel whats best for you.

Crinkle
03-29-2004, 03:27 PM
i saw your post at MTBR poking around asking questions, good place to get some opinions and info. Use the MTBR reviews of bikes to see how others like/dislike, certain bikes, but don't take their word as truth. Look for test rides, as we get deeper into spring there should be Manufacturer spancered test rides run by your local shops. Find a local shop, ask around, see where others go, ride bikes in the lot and find out about componets. I would suggest XT componets on a Hardtail for your pricerange, what bike, don't know.

Good luck

schuss
03-29-2004, 04:43 PM
don't know if you want a FS but just can't afford it, but I just picked up a new '03 Sugar 4+ (better than this years actually) for 850.

Arnold Babar
03-29-2004, 07:05 PM
Go go for a bad ass steel hardtail: Balfa Minute Man or Surly Instigator (Specialized P3, Kona Roast, Evil Imperial are good aluminum substitutes) with these as a base and some talent you can go as big as anyone anywhere. Steel is hevier, stronger, more durable, flexier, and real. These frames go for $350-$600 or so. You're not going to get a decent bike for under a grand. Invest in a good wheel set, and disc brakes. Skimp on drivetrain and incedentals ie: saddle handlebars, stem, grips, seat-post, levers, etc., knowing that you will break these, and will have either caught the bug and splurge to replace them, or give it up entirely. After you get into it you can think about suspension, and a lot more money.

schuss
03-29-2004, 07:16 PM
just ride all that you can, and go with what you like best. Both my dad and I just went on gut instinct as to whats best. Different bikes have different characters, none necessarily better than others. XC bikes typically have steeper head angles, while the bigger hitting bikes have slacker ones. Nothing wrong with either, just depends on how quick you want your steering to be.

crashnburn'd
03-29-2004, 07:17 PM
This is good advice Mr. Babar, I wish I would have followed something like it. Now, I'm stuck with a broken POS that I either need to upgrade or replace...

ak_powder_monkey
03-29-2004, 10:17 PM
Well I'd say go to your local bike shop and ask them they will get you what you want if they are reputable

bagtagley
03-30-2004, 08:35 AM
I'm an internet buying junkie. I'd guess that at least 60% of my purchasing is done on the internet. The biggest exception to that rule is bikes. I've found that a good relationship with a Good local shop is a gold mine in the long run.

$.02

Big Hit77
03-30-2004, 07:08 PM
Heck yeah, having good Local bike shop is just the same as your local ski shop. Big key is that if you do have a good local shop, you need to make friends with the guys working there and not be a dick about stuff. They will respect you for this, and will help you as much as they can. Whether this is getting your repairs done at a moments notice, or if it is throwing you a deal now and again. If you are cool with them, they will be there to help you in the clutch...like when you are leaving for a trip and need urgent repairs or something else.