PDA

View Full Version : Tire suggestions

skiergirl
03-28-2004, 11:13 AM
I'm looking for some new tires. Ride mostly XC. Right now I'm on some silty/clay type mud trails... slick. However, this summer I'll be back to the desert sand type. I know there isn't a tire that can do absolutely everything, but suggestions?

Currently have Kenda Karmas. I like them on the dry hardpack, but they are wearing down pretty fast. As far as size, I've mostly only ridden around 1.95-2.1.

I seem to remember a thread about this either here or powmag a while back (last summer?) but I didn't find it.

Thanks
-K-

InspectorGadget
03-28-2004, 05:25 PM
So many of my friends swear by them that my next tire is the Panaracer Fire XC Pro.

Mountainman
03-28-2004, 06:09 PM
Originally posted by InspectorGadget
So many of my friends swear by them that my next tire is the Panaracer Fire XC Pro. Just ordered me some of those, we'll see if they are as good asy talked about...

Arty50
03-28-2004, 08:00 PM
Hmmmm...just read about these and the DH Pros. I hate my current tires and sense that a set of DHs may be in my future. Good reviews in my part of the world.

Also, this was on www.mtbr.com:

"Note: buyer beware, from Panaracer's website (127 vs 66 tpi):
Panaracer is aware that there are two version of the Fire tire on the market in N. America. One is made in our own factory and the other is made for us for OEM use. While Panaracer does not endorse the selling of the OEM version,
through various means the tire has entered the market and has become available. We want you to be better informed so you'll make the right tire purchase for your needs."

"Stay away from Taiwan made tires (66tpi). These taiwan tires wear out quickly, break off knobs, any don't grip as much. If It was made in Japan (127tpi) it is awesome. Colors look cool if matched to bike."

bagtagley
03-28-2004, 10:41 PM
I used to get the Fire XC dirt cheap from my LBS. It's a decent all-around tire, and wears really well. I never had any complaints, and their even cheaper now. However, I haven't bought a tire smaller than 2.35 in a couple years, so I can't speak for the newest stuff.

InspectorGadget
03-28-2004, 10:42 PM
Originally posted by Arty50
'Stay away from Taiwan made tires (66tpi). These taiwan tires wear out quickly, break off knobs, any don't grip as much. If It was made in Japan (127tpi) it is awesome. Colors look cool if matched to bike.'

Sorry, I neglected to make note of the different versions on the market; you definitely want the 127 tpi tire.

Spats
03-28-2004, 11:57 PM
My favorite tire is the Conti Vertical Pro 2.3. I run them front and rear. They're advertised as a downhill tire, but are not nearly burly enough for that, or for big Clydes on XC bikes, for that matter.

What they are is an excellent XC tire for riders under 200 pounds. They're light for their size, roll well, and have tenacious grip.

freshies
03-29-2004, 10:53 AM
I have been running WTB tires for a better part of a decade (could be b/c they are 3 blocks from my house ;-) - but regardless, i would run them anyway - they are the shizzle.

I run a BIG 2.4 Motoraptor upfront, and a 2.41 motoraptor in the rear..great all around condition tires.

see www.wtb.com -= check out the pic on the home page - thaqt's my back-yard - good 'ol mt. Tam.

el_jefe
03-29-2004, 12:06 PM
ditto on WTB rubber. best around.

for XC, i'd stick to the tried and true VelociRaptor 2.1 - if its mud season, go with the smaller 1.95 version

if you like big tires, the 2.4 Motos or the WeirWolf 2.5 should do it for ya.

snow_slider
03-29-2004, 12:29 PM
If you like the WTB Velociraptors, you should try the Bontrager Jones (not Jones AC, but regular Jones) tires. VERY similar tread pattern to Velocirapters, but better mud shedding ability.

Avoid the WTB Mutanorapter 2.4 race. More pinch flats with that tire than I can shake a stick at. I though more air volume would reduce the number of pinch flats, but the tire casing is just too pliable. Good snow grip though...

skiergirl
03-29-2004, 01:46 PM
Thanks for the suggestions.

A friend pointed me to this website. Not complete, but I like the content http://www.themudzone.com/tire/.

Grange
03-29-2004, 01:57 PM
Originally posted by InspectorGadget
So many of my friends swear by them that my next tire is the Panaracer Fire XC Pro.

I rode with those tires on my old bike and they worked great in dry conditions in the Midwest. They aren't great in soft or wet conditions, but are still better than most. I would recommend these tires for xc riding.

InspectorGadget
03-29-2004, 03:07 PM
Originally posted by Grange
I rode with those tires on my old bike and they worked great in dry conditions in the Midwest. They aren't great in soft or wet conditions, but are still better than most. I would recommend these tires for xc riding.

Thanks Grange