PDA

View Full Version : Road bike upgrade advice needed

Mountain Junkie
03-26-2004, 08:48 AM
So, my current road bike is an older Trek (3200 or something). The 7 speed components (hey, no snickering!) are reaching their end of life, so I trying to figure out if it's worth just replacing components or if I should scrap the bike and buy a newer used bike. What I'm trying to determine is what I'll need to upgrade. At the least, it's shifters, frnt and rear derailleurs, rear cassette (since I'm going from 7 to 8/9). Is there anything else I'm missing (rear hub?). I also need to upgrade the bottom bracket. Has the spindle changed from the 7 spd stuff?

altagirl
03-26-2004, 08:52 AM
I'd think it's worth looking at new bikes... At least do a price comparison for upgrade vs. new before you start.

Vinman
03-26-2004, 09:27 AM
Not too sure but you might not be able to upgrade to 8 or 9 speed. The rear drop out and other parts might not be the same width.

Check this thread on the bicyling dot com forums. It is not excatly what you are looking for but very close.

http://forums.bicycling.com/bic/thread.jsp?forum=2&thread=30436&message=317982&redirect=true&hilite=true&q=7+speed+upgrade

Plakespear
03-26-2004, 10:15 AM
The rear droput spacing on a 7 speed bike is narrower than the spacing on 8/9 speeds.

For about a grand you can get this
http://www.trekbikes.com/images/bikes/2004/road/medium/1500.jpg

Aluminium frame, with an ultergra rear derailleur.

board
03-26-2004, 11:08 AM
I think you should upgrade it all the way to a MTN BIKE ! :D

Mountain Junkie
03-26-2004, 11:14 AM
Originally posted by board
I think you should upgrade it all the way to a MTN BIKE ! :D
Mountain biking is my first love, hence the reason I want to save the cash on the road bike. Besides, I'm not a big fan of the mtn biking trails on the front range. I'm a trail snob.

Yeah, I was afraid about the rear dropout spacing. But getting an aluminum frame is a step down from my carbon fiber frame:(

Viva
03-26-2004, 09:33 PM
Is the 3200 an aluminum frame? I think it is. Aluminum frames have come a long way since you bike was made- much better comfort and stiffer. If money's a limiting factor, buy used. As long as you know your size and how to recognize an often crashed bike, you'll do fine. There are lots of nice used bikes that are maybe a couple of years old. Don't buy less than a Shimano Ultegra or Campagnolo Athena/Veloce equiped bike.

Benny Profane
03-26-2004, 10:17 PM
Go for something new. Check out the Jamis Eclipse, a year or two old.

Plakespear
03-27-2004, 03:54 PM
Originally posted by Viva
Is the 3200 an aluminum frame? I think it is. Aluminum frames have come a long way since you bike was made- much better comfort and stiffer. If money's a limiting factor, buy used. As long as you know your size and how to recognize an often crashed bike, you'll do fine. There are lots of nice used bikes that are maybe a couple of years old. Don't buy less than a Shimano Ultegra or Campagnolo Athena/Veloce equiped bike.

3200 is a BONDED carbon frame, with an aluminum rear triangle and fork. An aluminum frame with a carbon fork will offer a better ride.

Campy sucks. I should know- I own a Campy bike. Never again.

Viva
03-27-2004, 05:49 PM
Originally posted by Plakespear
3200 is a BONDED carbon frame, with an aluminum rear triangle and fork. An aluminum frame with a carbon fork will offer a better ride.

Campy sucks. I should know- I own a Campy bike. Never again.

Agree on the 3200.

Disagree strongly on Campy.

Smiles!:)

snow_slider
03-27-2004, 10:17 PM
Bonded carbon fiber isn't a bad thing - as long as the bonding is quality.

This is a bonded frame and is about at the pinnacle of bike technology:
http://www.colnago.com/prova2/telai/popup/c50/PRAL.jpg

Gomez321
09-29-2008, 11:06 AM
Hi............
If you've already got a mountain bike converted for city riding, and it's single speed, then get a geared road bike.Flip the rear wheel around and ride around fixed and upgraded wheels might also be important for someone your size..
------------------------------
Gomez
Used Cars (http://used.gov-auctions.org)

uncle crud
09-29-2008, 11:24 AM
Unless you're really itching to spend the money, "upgrading" to 8, 9, 10 speeds may be a money pit.

Road riding doesn't require technologically advanced gear. It's much more a psychological game than a gear game.

You can tell yourself your current road bike is old, heavy, and has too few gears. But the limiting factor on your road rides will be you, not your bike.

Of course, if you just want a new bike, you should skip all this discussion and just go buy one.

Andy_B
09-30-2008, 04:46 AM
2004 called, it wants it's post back.

Optimus Prime
09-30-2008, 10:01 AM
WOW!!! Bumping a 4 1/2 year old thread!!!!

Gomez321 = FAIL!!!!

InspectorGadget
09-30-2008, 09:23 PM
WOW!!! Bumping a 4 1/2 year old thread!!!!

Gomez321 = FAIL!!!!Even though seeing a Plakespear post made me smile, I laughed at the JONG.