PDA

View Full Version : new trail bike suggestions

altagirl
03-22-2004, 05:28 PM
Okay, the Jekyll I've been riding for a trail bike is sold so I'm needing a new bike. Needs ~5" travel, probably a 5th element or swinger, hydraulic discs (preferably with an 8" rotor in the front at least), climbable, but more importantly fun on the way back down.

I'd love a heckler, but they're hard to find in the first place so finding a deal is tough. Rodney let me use his AC2 this weekend, which was fine but a little heavy. I'd love a 5 spot, but it's well out of the budget. Now I'm looking at the new Yeti 575, which is pretty sweet - light and plenty of travel. I went down to check one out in person and Krispy said knowing how I ride that's what he'd recommend for my trail bike and he'd have one in my size built up for me to test tomorrow, which may get me into trouble...

Anything good I'm neglecting to look at? I've got to keep it preferably well under 2K. Used would be fine if anyone has any leads, but I don't want to go more than a year or two old. (And yes I've searched ebay and mtbr classifieds for everything I could think of.)

snow_slider
03-22-2004, 06:28 PM
If you liked the AC, but thought it was too heavy, you should check out the AC Air (see mine in the "post pics of your ride thread - it's the orange and silver one). Air shock and adjustable suspension in front (100-120 mm) and in back (basically 4.5, 5.5 and 6 inches of travel). Mine's an 18 and weighs in at 30 pounds.

You might also want to consider Iron Horse - they build some kick ass bikes for the price. The Hollowpoint has 4.5 in rear and 130 (team), or 90-120 (Expert), or 100 (sport) in front. This bike would be towards the XC end of the spectrum. All three have 6" brake set ups (team and expert are Hayes Hydros and Sport has Hayes mechanical).
http://www.ironhorsebikes.com/products/trail/index.shtml

The SGS series has 7 inches in the rear and 130 or 170 in front (team), or 110-150 in fornt (Pro), or 90-130 (expert). All three have 8" rotor hayes brakes. The SGS will be a good bit heavier though.
http://www.ironhorsebikes.com/products/freeride/

SLCFreshies
03-22-2004, 06:37 PM
On the way to buying your Yeti, you could try a Kona Coiler. It's got a SPV Propedal, 5" of travel, and costs $1,600. I haven't ridden one, but it seems to be getting some good press.

Good luck.

altagirl
03-22-2004, 06:37 PM
I've been looking at AC air's on ebay. They don't make them anymore but you can still find them out there. Seems like a good way to go, other than the fact that everyone I ride with has an AC- kind of makes me want something different just to be different.

altagirl
03-22-2004, 06:55 PM
Actually, the coiler was something I looked at too. Also heavier, but basically what I'm looking for.

Telephil
03-22-2004, 07:38 PM
Originally posted by altagirl
Actually, the coiler was something I looked at too. Also heavier, but basically what I'm looking for.

If you decide to go this route, let me know, I could probably swing something of a deal. I know a couple people on it, really like it.

shirk
03-22-2004, 09:30 PM
I have an AC and don't really like it. Its from the first year they made that style frame, 01 I think. The frame flexes like a wet noodle. My scrawny little steel Kona ht is stiffer. I am not a big guy, and this frame twists huge under me. Mind you I never use granny gear and like to mash tall gears. Originally I got it as a freeride bike but ended up mostly trail riding it. I do love the laid back geometry thou. 69 degree head angle with 5 inches up front eats anything a trail can dish out. The adjustable suspension has always been in 5.5, aside from the one trip to Bromont when I put the dh chain guide on it and bumped it up the higher setting. If it's going to be a trail bike and not a freeride bike I say go for something lighter with 4inches of travel.

My plan for a replacement trail bike this season is going to be a KHS xc504 frame with my z1, hayes, mavic 217 disks, 2x9 drivetrain, and dura ace/paul thumbies. Still not sure if I can swing a Marathon SL in the budget. Should be a nice 29 lbs compared to the 37 lbs of my AC 01.

Turkey
03-23-2004, 11:28 AM
Telephil speaks the truth, Kona Coilers are a great bike. I've got one and I absolutely love it. 5 inches of travel all around, hayes disc brakes, great shocks, and a frame thats tougher than nails. You are right that they are a little heavy at 32lbs, but the frame geometry sits you more up right and allows you to climb while staying in the seat which is a great benefit. Changing out the stock tires to some wtb's or panaracers is an easy way to drop a little weight and improve uphill mobility. On the way back down just let them rip, they're killer.

bagtagley
03-23-2004, 01:15 PM
AG

If maintaining a budget is your major concern, then I'd recommend the Iron Horse Hollowpoint. I owned one for part of last summer, and really liked it. The only reason I sold it was because the hardtail bug got too strong to ignore. They come extremely well equipped, it felt plenty stiff and you can get 'em from Supergo for next to nothing...Oh, and their customer service is possibly the best I've ever experienced.

On the other hand, Judging from what I've seen and heard, you and the Mr. beat the hell out of some bikes. I think you need something more on the burly side of the equation. A Heckler should be easy to find in your area, and the price is pretty nice on them. I realize that the Turners are pricey, but the 5 Spot is likely to be the last frame (trail bike at least) that you'll ever buy. Why not just splurge on the Turner frame, some good disk brakes and a good fork and then try to piece the rest together cheaply (ebay, classifieds, etc)?

Incidentally, I've gone the cheap route (frame-wise) thinking it wouldn't matter, but I was so wrong. Boutique frames are expensive, but worth it in most cases. The hollowpoint was a great bike, but compared to Boutique frames I've ridden, it just didn't stack up. Granted I saved a couple grand buying that bike, but it just left me wishing I'd saved the xtra cash on something I truly enjoyed.

altagirl
03-23-2004, 01:18 PM
Originally posted by shirk
I have an AC and don't really like it. Its from the first year they made that style frame, 01 I think. The frame flexes like a wet noodle. My scrawny little steel Kona ht is stiffer. I am not a big guy, and this frame twists huge under me. Mind you I never use granny gear and like to mash tall gears. Originally I got it as a freeride bike but ended up mostly trail riding it. I do love the laid back geometry thou. 69 degree head angle with 5 inches up front eats anything a trail can dish out. The adjustable suspension has always been in 5.5, aside from the one trip to Bromont when I put the dh chain guide on it and bumped it up the higher setting. If it's going to be a trail bike and not a freeride bike I say go for something lighter with 4inches of travel.

I actually just sold a 4" travel bike - not enough travel and too XC oriented for the trails I like - couldn't drop the seat down far enough, etc... I really don't do any true XC riding - I just want something I can ride up to enjoy the downhill when there's no chairlift. ;)

Anyway - didn't really notice the frame flexing on the AC2, but I do like the 69 degree head tube angle and 5" travel up front.

bagtagley
03-23-2004, 01:23 PM
I really don't do any true XC riding - I just want something I can ride up to enjoy the downhill when there's no chairlift. ;)

You need a Bullit or an old Turner RFX. Throw a Z1 on there with the travel reduction and you'll be climbing like a tank. Little tougher, but the DH is so worth it.

CS
03-23-2004, 01:31 PM
Originally posted by Altagirl:
I really don't do any true XC riding - I just want something I can ride up to enjoy the downhill when there's no chairlift.

I agree with bagtagley, screw the 5" stuff, go at least 6. Just get this frame and build up the sweetness.

I love trying to help other people spend money.

http://www.covebike.com/my_files/g-spot_main.jpg

altagirl
03-23-2004, 01:39 PM
Originally posted by bagtagley
I realize that the Turners are pricey, but the 5 Spot is likely to be the last frame (trail bike at least) that you'll ever buy. Why not just splurge on the Turner frame, some good disk brakes and a good fork and then try to piece the rest together cheaply (ebay, classifieds, etc)?

Oh, don't even tempt me. Go-Ride has a blue one that's the most beautiful bike....

I'm thinking the Yeti is already a splurge. Krispy did tell me he thought the 575 was burly enough I wouldn't break it. He's seen the carnage I bring in for repairs...

And you'd think I could find a Heckler around here, but it's easier said than done. In Moab they have like a dozen, but they're for the rental fleet only and won't sell them. T&T went out of business and Guthries only has a Superlight and a Blur in stock. Last person I talked to who ordered one a while back is hoping to see it sometime in May. Doesn't make it easy to get a deal that way...

altagirl
03-23-2004, 01:43 PM
Originally posted by bagtagley
You need a Bullit or an old Turner RFX. Throw a Z1 on there with the travel reduction and you'll be climbing like a tank. Little tougher, but the DH is so worth it.

Yeah, but I don't want to get too close to my DH bike. And the 5" fork I used on Amasa Back this weekend seemed like plenty. I think 5-6" will be enough.

SLCFreshies
03-23-2004, 10:15 PM
Try Bike Peddler in AF for Santa Cruz bikes. They seem to move a lot of them. The last time I was there (a while ago) they had several Blurs, Superlights, Julianas, and Hecklers in stock. My GF bought her bike there, and they treated her well. I've had great luck with them too. I like them a bit more than Guthrie's (esp. the Sugarhouse one--yukk).

Crinkle
03-24-2004, 07:36 AM
Last person I talked to who ordered one a while back is hoping to see it sometime in May. Doesn't make it easy to get a deal that way...

Just curious, how does having a bike in stock help you get a better deal?? Is it that otherwise you would have to pay MSRP if you had it ordered from the factory? Or are you connected?

doubleE
03-24-2004, 07:54 AM
http://www.khsbicycles.com/04xc504.html
http://mtbr.com/reviews/2004_full_suspension/product_123003.shtml
This may or may not be helpful to you.

altagirl
03-24-2004, 07:58 AM
Yeah, the bigger part of getting a deal requires getting something from a shop I go to regularly. I guess the way I see it if it's been sitting on the floor there's at least a chance they're willing to deal a little to get it moving. Plus, Santa Cruz's are notorious for taking an eternity when you order them. My brother in law ordered a Blur last year and it took damn near 6 months after he paid for it in full. I don't have that kind of patience.

Actually I stopped in Bike Peddler yesterday and rode a Heckler around the parking lot just to check the frame size. Very sweet... And they do have a medium frame hanging on the wall.

I'm going to test ride a couple other things (575 & coiler) and see how the geometry and frame sizes feel.

Arnold Babar
03-24-2004, 12:40 PM
www.bikerag.com people sell bikes on here alot...I might know someone selling a Balfa 2step dh pretty reasonable. I love mine...gonna go ride it right now:D

jayfrizzo
03-24-2004, 12:45 PM
"Just get an AS-X." -- Mr. Altagirl to me when I mentioned I'm interested in both the 575 and the AS-X.

altagirl
03-24-2004, 01:31 PM
Originally posted by jayfrizzo
"Just get an AS-X." -- Mr. Altagirl to me when I mentioned I'm interested in both the 575 and the AS-X.

If I didn't already have a DH bike I'd be looking at the AS-X, but I think I want a little more difference between the two.

White Chocolate
03-24-2004, 02:19 PM
How much money are you looking to spend? 5" travel trailbikes are the trend of 2004, so you shouldn't have much trouble finding the right one. Some other choices for sturdier trailbikes that haven't been mentioned yet:

Trek Liquid
Rocky Mountain Slayer
Specialized Enduro
Norco Fluid
Intense 5.5 vpp if you got the cash :D

If you are as hard on bikes as you say, but still want something more cross country, i would look at canadian bike manufacturers, or other companies trying to cater to the freeride craze, ie kona and santa cruz. They tend to spec stronger components and have stronger frames throughout their lineups. Or you could suck it up and go hardtail also :D

altagirl
03-24-2004, 02:52 PM
Budget is 2K.

I'm not that bad - haven't broken a frame or anything yet... (that's Mr.AG's specialty.) And while I don't plan to drop anything over a couple feet, I do go fast and wreck hard every now and then, and have something of a tendency to just run over things that other people would go around. (I've had a new skid plate on my dirt bike for two trips now and it looks like I took a sledge hammer to it...)

Anyway, I don't think I need the burliest bike out there, just a good solid one. I'm definitely not looking to skimp on the frame.

snow_slider
03-24-2004, 05:33 PM
I still say to check around for a slightly used AC Air and use the cash you'll save to swap out the air shock for a 5th element or another stable platform shock and a longer travel fork (Marzocchi FR150 is unbelievable). Great bike. Very durable frame. Adjustable from 4.5 to 5.5 to 6 inches of travel in the rear and 100 to 120 in front (with stock fork).

altagirl
03-24-2004, 07:25 PM
I was just looking at a used AC Air Lite on ebay. But the kid selling it was telling me how great it is because it's just like a DH bike and you can huck it off anything. Which isn't exactly what you want to hear from the previous owner...

phUnk
03-24-2004, 10:04 PM
My medium Slayer is sweet, super sweet. Too light for what you're looking for maybe?

5" front (marz Z1 SL) and rear (fox Float RL,) Shimano hydo 6" discs, XT front, LX rear, race-face elsewhere. The Marz has ECC5, which, by a simple half-turn of the dial on top of the right fork leg drops the forks a few inches for steep climbing. It's the bike that I'm going to use to spank (regularly, he loves it) TelePhil this summer.

http://www.rocky-mountain.com/bikes/2003/images/mm_slayer_03.jpg (http://www.rocky-mountain.com/bikes/2003/allmtn/slayer.aspx)

SLCFreshies
03-24-2004, 11:34 PM
I'd watch out with the Slayer. I've heard that it's a great bike, but that it also has a problem with chainstays breaking and pivot problems.

snow_slider
03-25-2004, 06:36 AM
AltaGirl - Thats pretty funny. That kid needs a lesson in how to sell something. Not exactly words that inspire you to buy his/her bike.

What size frame are you looking for?

altagirl
03-25-2004, 07:39 AM
No kidding!

And I'm looking for a Medium.

snow_slider
03-25-2004, 08:43 AM
Here's a 17" AC2 for sale on ebay:
http://cgi.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&item=3667805050&category=27948

Here's an 18.5?" AC2:
http://cgi.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&item=3667829749&category=27948
(gotta love using a girl in a bikini to help sell the bike - what's THAT about).

Here's a medium AC1: http://cgi.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&item=3667494426&category=27948
Lighter tires and you could drop 1.5 to 2 pounds from the weight easy.

And another AC1: http://cgi.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&item=3667452285&category=27948

And another AC1:
http://www.cyclery.com/Members/weak12day/1061928656/view

And another AC AIR: http://www.cyclery.com/Members/katsha15/1064381256/view?s_text=Giant

altagirl
03-25-2004, 08:56 AM
Thx - hadn't seen the cyclery.com classifieds before.

bagtagley
03-25-2004, 09:16 AM
The problem with the AC (at least in your case) as I see it is the minimal seat post adjustments you can make. The bend in the seat tube at the pivot seriously limits adjustability, particularly how far you can drop it. I'm assuming you're gonna want to hike the seat for climbs and drop it for descents. That was the number 1 reason I didn't buy that bike when I was looking.

altagirl
03-25-2004, 09:59 AM
I actually almost forgot about that. Mr.AG actually brings multiple seatposts so he can put a different length one in depending on the trail. And that was probably my #1 bitch about the Jekyll - you could only adjust the seatpost a few inches. I went and rode that Heckler around and went to drop the seatpost and it dropped all the way down flat - like a foot of adjustability. Love that.

snow_slider
03-25-2004, 12:19 PM
Something else to check out would be the Weyless XP Pro. While I'm never one to endorse knockoff stuff, it looks pretty bomber.

Same front triangle as phUnks bike (easton RAD), with more travel in back and a SUPER stiff single pivot linkage. I'd ditch the AVID Jucy's though. Not AVID's best effort to date. FOX Talas RL in front with 100-130mm of travel (VURRRRY NICE).

http://www.supergo.com/profile.cfm?LPROD_ID=24424&lsubcat_id=7&lcat_id=7604

altagirl
03-25-2004, 01:55 PM
And the money is spent...

http://www.pinkbike.com/m/disk01/pinkbike/photo/pbpic180063.jpg

You can all thank me because now that I want to ride my new bike, it's guaranteed to snow. :D

CS
03-25-2004, 03:21 PM
Sweet AG. Good purchase. Have fun on that baby.

SLCFreshies
03-25-2004, 03:29 PM
LOL, I had a feeling you'd get the Yeti. ;) Have a blast on that thing!

Oh ya, snow in the forecast for tomorrow. Thanks!

snow_slider
03-25-2004, 05:10 PM
Sweet ride AG! Unless you got one hell of a sweet deal, I'm betting you went over your original $2K budget on that one.

bagtagley
03-25-2004, 07:09 PM
Ooohhhhh, Purty!

Very nice choice. Let us know how it rides.

Telephil
03-25-2004, 07:21 PM
And the money is spent...

http://www.pinkbike.com/m/disk01/pinkbike/photo/pbpic180063.jpg

You can all thank me because now that I want to ride my new bike, it's guaranteed to snow. :D

So when are we going to ride?