PDA

View Full Version : Stupid disc Brakes

Big Hit77
03-18-2004, 09:12 PM
I went out for a little urban ride tonight, and as soon as went off the first skinny, my front btake decided to stop working. I rode out the night, and then when i got home i took the front wheel off. I Thought thr bads might have been bad, but it almost looks like theres fluid on it of some sort. Can this happen? Can Dot 4 brake fluid just magicaly work itself out of the brakes?

Big E
03-19-2004, 06:57 AM
Originally posted by Big Hit77
I went out for a little urban ride tonight, and as soon as went off the first skinny, my front btake decided to stop working. I rode out the night, and then when i got home i took the front wheel off. I Thought thr bads might have been bad, but it almost looks like theres fluid on it of some sort. Can this happen? Can Dot 4 brake fluid just magicaly work itself out of the brakes?

Well, it can if there's a leak. Sounds like some disassembly / rebuild might be in order.

snow_slider
03-19-2004, 08:56 AM
It's absolutely possible. remember the older Hayes brake calipers had an issue with leakage at the seam where the two half of the caliper joined together. A scratched brake piston can allow fluid to leak out as well.

Check you brake pads CAREFULLY, if you got ANY brake fluid on them, then replace them. Brake fluid will ruin pads.

Big Hit77
03-19-2004, 05:02 PM
Yeah that sounds about like it to me. Took my brake apart today, and it appears, to the best of my sight, that there is a leak somewhere along the brake housing. There seems to be a good amount of brake fluid coming along the outside, this seems to have ruined the pads that were in there. Either that or there is a leak down inside of the caliper itself. Tough to tell. I will have my buddy that is a mechanic at my LBS take a look at it. Good thing i ordered the goodrdige SS brake cables the other day. i Hope this fixes the problem. Until then, i just have to put the old mechanical disc back on there.

Schralper
03-21-2004, 09:48 AM
Stop whining you're riding a mechanical beast, so crap happens. You could always got back to cants.
Its probably not the line but the piston seal or o-ring between 1/2's. Cheap to replace. Make sure to wrap the ss line, if it aint coated or you'll have some serious rub thru on your fork/frame.
These damn pads cost to much. BTW- EBC green pads rule. Way better than stock Hayes.
DISC BRAKES RULES!! :p

Big Hit77
03-21-2004, 05:11 PM
Sweet thanks for the tip. Yeah, i know i shouldn't complain about it, but it sure is a suprise when you go to grab for a brake and its not there. FOr that O-ring, is that included in the caliper rebuild kit?

Schralper
03-25-2004, 08:32 AM
I do belive it is included. The biggest bitch I had after replacing the piston oring seal was getting it bled. Let is sit overnight, assembled,filled and hanging, to make it easier.